Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Hope Romain has looked great in training. He's not getting a contract based on those 2 public appearances. Nice to have someone with confidence to try all the flicks n tricks but can he do it on a wet February night at a shitehole like Dens? Tommy may just wait, like he did with Dayton.

It sounds like the issues with Habran are coaching issues. Just like O'halloran had when he joined. I'd rather sign a player with lots of ability who can be coached rather than a player who has zero ability but knows when to tuck in/or when to run in behind etc. That can all be developed.

8 minutes ago, Broon_100 said:

It sounds like the issues with Habran are coaching issues. Just like O'halloran had when he joined. I'd rather sign a player with lots of ability who can be coached rather than a player who has zero ability but knows when to tuck in/or when to run in behind etc. That can all be developed.

I hope we're signing him as a striker, because our wide he didn't bring anymore than our current midfielders offer.

Thought our 4-5-1 in the second half was a bit unexciting, and maybe just to match up with them and protect our lead. If it was a competitive match I would understand it, but didn't think it was that necessary in a friendly, especially as we'd done okay 4-4-2 first half. Thought it might mean Scougall more central pushing on but didn't end up that way.

Seems that we'll be sitting down with Habran next week regarding whether he'll stay or not. Tommy still sounds interested but I suppose it'll all depend on PSG and/or his demands. He certainly looks capable enough. 

I hope we're signing him as a striker, because our wide he didn't bring anymore than our current midfielders offer.
Thought our 4-5-1 in the second half was a bit unexciting, and maybe just to match up with them and protect our lead. If it was a competitive match I would understand it, but didn't think it was that necessary in a friendly, especially as we'd done okay 4-4-2 first half. Thought it might mean Scougall more central pushing on but didn't end up that way.

Was probably to see how Habran done out wide and how Kane done as an isolated striker. Worthwhile exercise tbh.

Roman Habran reminded me of when young Steven May came on the scene, you always thought he may do something when in possession and especially in front of goal.

Today he put the only Quality cross/ball into the box that caused enough panic  for Macca to have headed tap in . how many crosses did we put I with the same effect?

On todays showing he was better than Kane, I could not compare Cummings today as he was not played however my memory would say he did more than cummings would have done.

conclusion definitely worth taking a chance on him.    

My main concern is that people are referring to him a striker? My understanding was that he's a winger who has rarely strayed from that position during his short career so far.

As far as I'm concerned, I'd prefer Tommy to go for one of his other attacking targets if the plan is for Romain to be played in a more advanced position. We need a goalscorer and we can't afford to gamble on someone who has rarely played up front and someone who has rarely scored goals.

As a winger? Sure, if Tommy thinks he's good enough.

Obviously, I say all of this without the benefit of seeing him in action.

31 minutes ago, Center half said:

Today he put the only Quality cross/ball into the box that caused enough panic  for Macca to have headed tap in . how many crosses did we put I with the same effect?

You must've been one of the folk who clapped his every touch then. His cross was deflected to Macca, just saying.

Oh and what about Maccas brilliant ball for Romains turn and shot(which he skied)? That was precision and in the box.

It all depends on whether Tommy has viable options, if he does its a no from me. Just not convinced he's what we need.

I thought the turn and shot was a pretty decent effort in fairness to him. Caught the ball well. The cross was with his left foot, the shot with his right so hes clearly reasonable with both feet. 

In an ideal world, he'd still be here to have another look at next week but it doesn't seem to be an option for us. I think he's got something different and would be quite happy to see him sign but, all joking aside, I wouldn't be devastated if he left. 

Tommy said in his post match interview that he still wants 2 players in, but they have to improve the first 11 and not just be squad players. He seems relaxed about it and I suspect that he won't sign anyone in a panic late in the window if nothing comes off. 

I still think we need a left sided player and a striker. Scougall is wasted slightly out left (although he was very good today as he seemed to have license to drift or switch position if he wanted to) and I want to see him being glorious in an advanced centre mid position. 

Edited by Kyle

Thought Scougall wasn't great today. As Kyle says an advanced centre mid or free roaming behind the strikers role is the role he would excel in. What the f**k has happened to Richard Foster this season? Absolute pish in every game so far, he was a stand out last season, probably our player of the year behind Danny. Think Comrie or Watson could really stake a claim for that position. 

Here's the first names (if fit) I'd have on the team sheet this season, the players not named are battling it out for places.

Mannus would be my number one. Joe, Gordon and Easton in defence. Muzz, Millar and Scougall in midfield. Macca up top.

Left out Anderson because we can.

Thought Scougall wasn't great today. As Kyle says an advanced centre mid or free roaming behind the strikers role is the role he would excel in. What the f**k has happened to Richard Foster this season? Absolute pish in every game so far, he was a stand out last season, probably our player of the year behind Danny. Think Comrie or Watson could really stake a claim for that position. 

Here's the first names (if fit) I'd have on the team sheet this season, the players not named are battling it out for places.
Mannus would be my number one. Joe, Gordon and Easton in defence. Muzz, Millar and Scougall in midfield. Macca up top.

Left out Anderson because we can.

I think it's harsh to judge any of the defence this pre-season so far, it's been a different set up in every game. Only question mark is over Anderson who was absolutely rotten today, but it's his first game in ages, so it's hardly a massive shock.

I'd also prefer Scougall central, but that requires a five man midfield. Only striker we have that can play on their own is Macca, and I'm not sure it's a role that suits him anymore.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I think it's harsh to judge any of the defence this pre-season so far, it's been a different set up in every game. Only question mark is over Anderson who was absolutely rotten today, but it's his first game in ages, so it's hardly a massive shock.

I'd also prefer Scougall central, but that requires a five man midfield. Only striker we have that can play on their own is Macca, and I'm not sure it's a role that suits him anymore.

Foster plays the same position every game, it's not hard. As a senior pro he has a duty to tell any of the young players he is playing beside what they are doing wrong, if anything. I'm not really talking about that though, I'm talking about his own positioning, his own misplaced passes, his own shitey throw ins, all his doing. He's going to be this seasons Spoony isn't he? You know he can play, but by f**k he is frustrating.

48 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Genuine question - what did Ando do wrong today? Won his physical battles against their big striker and the first half and was never really threatened at any point during the game.

Scougall's touch was the best today I have seen from him in the pre-season - will probably fade from some games but is a definite luxury we can afford.

I would sign Habron as well from what I have seen - got good pace and a decent touch, worth a go. If the alternative is Kane playing then I am all for it - he was hopeless in the 2nd half, still doesn't know how to play the line, late in the game he moved far too early and got caught when it should have been a clear run on goal.

Genuine question - what did Ando do wrong today? Won his physical battles against their big striker and the first half and was never really threatened at any point during the game.

I think he was poor on the ball, especially in comparison to Gordon, constantly holding onto it for far too long. Was pretty rash in a few tackles, and a lot of the time he had the striker in a grapple which in a proper game would see a free kick awarded. Just seemed half a yard short to me.

It's purely just sharpness though, and his first game back was always going to be like that.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I think he was poor on the ball, especially in comparison to Gordon, constantly holding onto it for far too long. Was pretty rash in a few tackles, and a lot of the time he had the striker in a grapple which in a proper game would see a free kick awarded. Just seemed half a yard short to me.

It's purely just sharpness though, and his first game back was always going to be like that.

I'd agree with this. It is his first game back and understandable but I'd be playing Joe and Gordon until he's up to speed, then it's a case of playing his way in. Liam Gordon is the future, embrace it. Thought Macca was the best player on the park.