Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Good news. How many are we waiting on signing now?

I think it's Mannus, Easton, Millar, Craig, Swanson, MacLean and Hunter left. Not certain on that though.

Craig and Maclean apparently have extension clauses, and you'd assume Millar was re-sign. Mannus and Hunter will likely leave.

So really it's just Easton and Swanson left.

We've also got youngsters like Gordon, Kerr, Comrie and Mccawl going out of contract. Kerr has to be the priority there, Gordon and Comrie will hopefully agree another deal aswell.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

I think it's Mannus, Easton, Millar, Craig, Swanson, MacLean and Hunter left. Not certain on that though.

Craig and Maclean apparently have extension clauses, and you'd assume Millar was re-sign. Mannus and Hunter will likely leave.

So really it's just Easton and Swanson left.

We've also got youngsters like Gordon, Kerr, Comrie and Mccawl going out of contract. Kerr has to be the priority there, Gordon and Comrie will hopefully agree another deal aswell.

Aye. Hunter isn't good enough from what I've seen, would even be surprised if he got a gig at Stirling.

Mannus is a very decent keeper but can't see him staying when not playing. Will likely be on a serious wage as well so thanks for the service Alan and we wish you well in the next stage of your career.

Swanson isnt worth getting into a bidding war with Hibs over. If he signs on again I'll be delighted but he's not worth breaking the wage structure for. 

Easton, same as Swanson.

Starting to make a dent in that out of contract list. Comrie and Gordon will take care of themselves and Hunter and McCawl will be away, so looking at the six senior guys left:

Swanson and Easton are obviously the two there might be doubts over but everything from Easton seems positive and likewise Tommy Wright, so you have to be confident an agreement will be reached there. The manager has made no secret how vital he views Swanson to be and we're at least working from a position where the player wants to stay if the deal is right.

Millar has had a good run free from bother and the change of physio seems to have helped him. Just a week ago, he demonstrated again how important he is to the team and fitness is all that'll bar him getting offered something. Cutting down on the travelling might both tempt and help him but when he's still capable of offering so much at the top end of this league, that's maybe a season or two off yet. Liam Craig is in with the bricks as well and is clearly a player the manager trusts a lot. He can't be far from triggering his extension clause if he hasn't already. If the squad desperately needed freshened up then he might have been a candidate to move on but the new arrivals last summer have done that and I think continuity will be more pressing for the manager.

That leaves Scobbie and Mannus. The former isn't a first pick and probably wouldn't be classed as much more than average but he again offers that continuity and also versatility that means we can run with just six senior defenders. Might he fancy a change of scene and trying to nail down a regular start elsewhere? Possibly but then he's going to be scraping around the bottom of this league or more likely the Championship. Other than maybe Swanson, the biggest question mark will be over Mannus. It's not wild speculation to suggest he'll be a big earner and now one that isn't playing. He's not going to get offered the same terms again most likely and isn't the number one goalkeeper. But he'll be 35 in May and is he going to find a club where he'll be guaranteed the number one shirt? Moving to Saints at 29 to battle for a starting spot is one thing, doing it at 35 is another. Most folk seem sure he'll be away but I'm not so sure, I think if Saints want him to stay he might be open to that.

18 minutes ago, Radford said:

Starting to make a dent in that out of contract list. Comrie and Gordon will take care of themselves and Hunter and McCawl will be away, so looking at the six senior guys left:

Swanson and Easton are obviously the two there might be doubts over but everything from Easton seems positive and likewise Tommy Wright, so you have to be confident an agreement will be reached there. The manager has made no secret how vital he views Swanson to be and we're at least working from a position where the player wants to stay if the deal is right.

Millar has had a good run free from bother and the change of physio seems to have helped him. Just a week ago, he demonstrated again how important he is to the team and fitness is all that'll bar him getting offered something. Cutting down on the travelling might both tempt and help him but when he's still capable of offering so much at the top end of this league, that's maybe a season or two off yet. Liam Craig is in with the bricks as well and is clearly a player the manager trusts a lot. He can't be far from triggering his extension clause if he hasn't already. If the squad desperately needed freshened up then he might have been a candidate to move on but the new arrivals last summer have done that and I think continuity will be more pressing for the manager.

That leaves Scobbie and Mannus. The former isn't a first pick and probably wouldn't be classed as much more than average but he again offers that continuity and also versatility that means we can run with just six senior defenders. Might he fancy a change of scene and trying to nail down a regular start elsewhere? Possibly but then he's going to be scraping around the bottom of this league or more likely the Championship. Other than maybe Swanson, the biggest question mark will be over Mannus. It's not wild speculation to suggest he'll be a big earner and now one that isn't playing. He's not going to get offered the same terms again most likely and isn't the number one goalkeeper. But he'll be 35 in May and is he going to find a club where he'll be guaranteed the number one shirt? Moving to Saints at 29 to battle for a starting spot is one thing, doing it at 35 is another. Most folk seem sure he'll be away but I'm not so sure, I think if Saints want him to stay he might be open to that.

Can't argue with any of that. What the feck was the physio doing to Wee Chris? Awfully coincidental that he eventually gets better when the guy is punted.

Good post Radford. After me staring last week I wouldn't be as fussed about Swanson leaving now, he goes and produces in my eyes a very good performance against Celtic. That said, I'd still be very happy to get Easton and Millar signed up. Just not sure who we could bring in that has the creativity and vision that Swanson has.

4 hours ago, LANG TOON SAINTIE said:

Rather bizarrely WAP appear to be more excited with Tiny Wharton disallowing a goal against Dunfermline in 1968 than by Macca's resigning.

It was a pisser of a decision right enough....fat dude with slicked down hair....