Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Well for a kick off Maclean isn't a poacher. He's never in the fucking box!

Yeah I know. I think that's his best role though. For all the quality he has in linking the play, it restricts us hugely as there's nobody as clinical as him from within the box. If we could get a striker who'll either take the responsibility of coming deep off him (FOUR TWO THREE ONE), or get one who'll run the channels and commit full backs, then I think we'll be a better side going forwards.

Just now we're sort of just playing about with it, and if MacLean isn't playing well then we struggle.

The problem is when we are playing poorly MacLean starts dropping deeper and deeper and then nae c*nt is in the box.

It infuriates me when he takes a quick throw. 99% of the time it kills our attacks as he's throwing it to someone who has zero support due to the main striker taking the throw in.

I screamed at him once for doing it, and it's the one time we almost scored from it. Stuck the finger up to me next time he went past.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It infuriates me when he takes a quick throw. 99% of the time it kills our attacks as he's throwing it to someone who has zero support due to the main striker taking the throw in.

I screamed at him once for doing it, and it's the one time we almost scored from it. Stuck the finger up to me next time he went past.

He's got a lot of influence on the pitch. 

It's surely still worth asking the question about May.  Of course we can't compete with the wages that other clubs will likely be offering but it is a short term loan deal, some kind of agreement could be struck with Preston, you never know.  Biased of course but returning to Saints is his best option in terms of getting games in a familiar environment. 

Realise I'm desperately clutching here..............

19 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

If we could get a striker who'll either take the responsibility of coming deep off him (FOUR TWO THREE ONE), or get one who'll run the channels and commit full backs, then I think we'll be a better side going forwards.

I think that's part of the problem with MacLean and it isn't his fault. He's just the sort of player who needs a particular type of partner to play alongside him and if he doesn't have that, we're insipid up front. And I can't stand it when he plays up front on his own.

It also restricts options: with MacLean a guaranteed pick, we've never seen Cummins and Kane together for any length of time. I'm not saying they're better than Macca but I do wonder how they'd gel if they were both in form and got some experience together.

For all the sentimental appeal attached to one of them, I hope we don't go near May or O'Halloran. It's clear both these players will cost a lot of money, and while that might be worth it if we were chasing a Europa League place or battling relegation, they way we are I'd rather we skipped the short-term solution and looked at players who might be here next season. 

Edited by Mr Heliums

4 hours ago, LANG TOON SAINTIE said:

Or take the blinkers off and stop obsessing about Stevie May and realise that he is not the only striker on the planet 

Asolutely but if there is even a small chance of getting him then should be trying to take it.  The same with MOH in my view.  We have a pretty desperate record in signing forward players, any advantages that we might have in the transfer market should be utilised.  I don't think that is an especially blinkered view, we might not be chasing a European spot but we are still in the cup and have far from cemented a top six place yet.  We should be looking to ensure we at least do that. 

I think that's part of the problem with MacLean and it isn't his fault. He's just the sort of player who needs a particular type of partner to play alongside him and if he doesn't have that, we're insipid up front. And I can't stand it when he plays up front on his own.
It also restricts options: with MacLean a guaranteed pick, we've never seen Cummins and Kane together for any length of time. I'm not saying they're better than Macca but I do wonder how they'd gel if they were both in form and got some experience together.
For all the sentimental appeal attached to one of them, I hope we don't go near May or O'Halloran. It's clear both these players will cost a lot of money, and while that might be worth it if we were chasing a Europa League place or battling relegation, they way we are I'd rather we skipped the short-term solution and looked at players who might be here next season. 

Agree with the final point. I can't see us finishing anywhere other than 5th

Don't think it's guaranteed. Should be looking to nail that and have a cup run.

Aye, top half and a cup run would do me.

Apparently be re-signing news in the next week, which is pleasing. I've literally just remembered Jason Kerr is out of contract again, that worries me.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Does anyone think Mannus will be gone in this window?

Wondering as we're not allowing Mark Hurst to play for East Fife in the Cup.

Wouldn't be too surprised. Says a lot that he wouldn't be sorely missed.

Sure as f**k Zander would get injured a week after Mannus left.