Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Fuming at that ticket price for the Rangers game. Where is the logic in charging nearly 30 quid for a televised game? Surely it would make sense to charge less than the standard price to encourage those along who are lured by the TV? I'll be going to the Rangers game but only because I haven't been to a game in over a year, otherwise I'd be giving it a miss. 30 quid to watch a game of football surrounded by orcs. f**k that.

15 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Fuming at that ticket price for the Rangers game. Where is the logic in charging nearly 30 quid for a televised game? Surely it would make sense to charge less than the standard price to encourage those along who are lured by the TV? I'll be going to the Rangers game but only because I haven't been to a game in over a year, otherwise I'd be giving it a miss. 30 quid to watch a game of football surrounded by orcs. f**k that.

Yeah – I'm going because it's the Boxing Day game and we have family here. But I grudge those prices, especially when it's on TV – and that's meant they've already inconvenienced fans with kick off times.

I'm not sure how it fits in with Saints' purported plans to increase attendances or to encourage younger people to come along – I got charged full price for an u18, despite it clearly saying on the website that they're a concession.

It's really put me off any more games this season: it's just too much and I resent the clear gouging.

The fact that Rangers have been given more tickets makes the decision to make it £30 a very good financial deal. I've no issues with that, sure a small number of saints fans will feel aggrieved, but if we keep making money, I don't really care.

1 hour ago, Widge said:

The fact that Rangers have been given more tickets makes the decision to make it £30 a very good financial deal. I've no issues with that, sure a small number of saints fans will feel aggrieved, but if we keep making money, I don't really care.

Hi Steve, hiya pal!

2 hours ago, Mr Heliums said:

Just looking at the accounts, it seems clear we got £446,677 for O'Halloran (£811,703 for May the season before), so income from football operations only slightly down, from £4.8m to £4.6m.

I've just been shafted £124.50 for three adults and two u18s for the Rangers game. If that's illustrative, I expect our turnover to rocket this season.

[Happy to post more details of accounts if anyone's interested]

How much are we spending on the youth set up these days?

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

What price would you want it dropped to?

The reasoning is very simple. Drop it to even £20, then you're going to lose £7 x 5000 Rangers tickets - £35,000 compares to the set price.

If you're lucky you may get an extra 500 saints fans-and that's at a massive push - 500x20 =£10,000 in. A net loss of £25,000 for one match, and that's on the assumption of an extra 500 home fans, which is extremely unlikely for a midweek game against Rangers.

Not that I necessarily agree with it, but that's what it boils down to.

16 hours ago, Widge said:

I gave up our family's season tickets this year because we were getting fucked around on kick off times so often that a season ticket wasn't worth it. It's not a trivial matter arranging to come through with kids from Edinburgh. And now I'm paying a stupid amount of money for a single game. It's people like me Saints are risking permanently alienating for the sake of a few quid on a gate.

I'm surprised you don't care about that, because while I understand the economics of maximising revenue, the club really can't be surprised when regular fans become occasional fans then lapsed fans. This is how it happens. You can't just weigh up the financial impact on one single game: its effects can last much longer. Indeed, the impact goes beyond finances: there's goodwill (or brand management) at stake too. Can Saints truly bill themselves as a family club when they're gouging a section of their own support? Charging £27 entry for a 17-year-old Saints fan for a TV game at Christmas undoes a lot of PR work that Saints pay a supporter liaison officer to do.

I doubt I'll be back at another home game this season after this. I'm feeling pretty fleeced.

Edited by Mr Heliums

12 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

How much are we spending on the youth set up these days?

Doesn't break it down that far. Here are the main figures

Screen Shot 2016-12-16 at 07.46.04.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-16 at 07.46.20.png

And here's the note giving the details on transfer income. These figures will be net – but I'm working on the assumption that they apply to a single player in both years:

Screen Shot 2016-12-16 at 07.46.47.png

Edited by Mr Heliums

What if only 500 Saints fans turned up to Rangers 4500? Would you care then?

18 hours ago, Mr Heliums said:

Yeah – I'm going because it's the Boxing Day game and we have family here. But I grudge those prices, especially when it's on TV – and that's meant they've already inconvenienced fans with kick off times.

I'm not sure how it fits in with Saints' purported plans to increase attendances or to encourage younger people to come along – I got charged full price for an u18, despite it clearly saying on the website that they're a concession.

It's really put me off any more games this season: it's just too much and I resent the clear gouging.

Just to clarify, it's the 28th rather than Boxing Day.

What if only 500 Saints fans turned up to Rangers 4500? Would you care then?

Nope not in the slightest, that's their choice and I'll be there to support my team regardless, I couldn't honestly give a damn about other people, it's ultimately up to them.

38 minutes ago, Widge said:

Nope not in the slightest, that's their choice and I'll be there to support my team regardless, I couldn't honestly give a damn about other people, it's ultimately up to them.

Eh? Not sure I understand your solipsistic views, but in any case you're disagreeing with yourself.

A few posts ago, you thought that charging £30 was a good idea as long as Saints were making money. Now it seems you don't care 'in the slightest' and 'don't give a damn' about other people, even if the club loses money?

On ‎15‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 11:41, Widge said:

Well we'd only got £250k from the MOH deal as far as I'm aware for those accounts, so substantial is a slight over exaggeration there. You're essentially correct we'd have cut the budget and not signed an extra player, we can also afford to make a slight lose every few seasons with how much we've got in the bank.

Not true. As explained above, the MOH fee is included in this year's accounts. It was more than £400k, and I can't see any reason why any of it would be held over to another set of accounts.

The budget is set at the start of the season, so while I'm sure there's flexibility, it's fair to say that without that fee, we'd have been looking at a solid loss; perhaps our worst since 2003. I wouldn't therefore call 'substantial' an exaggeration.

(Just as a reminder of how quickly we could squander our bank balance, even under Geoff Brown it only took us five seasons between 2000 and 2004 to accumulate £2.5million of losses – nearly £1m of that in a single season. We also went through five seasons of consecutive losses between 2009 and 2013).

Edited by Mr Heliums

Going by Widge's opinion, it looks like he'd be quite happy if a grand total of 0 Saints fans turned up for the game - as long as it makes the club money. He'd rather that the decent, honest, hardworking Perth man is priced out from the game - as long as the club profits from a blue pound. Absolutely despicable.

8 hours ago, Mr Heliums said:

Not true. As explained above, the MOH fee is included in this year's accounts. It was more than £400k, and I can't see any reason why any of it would be held over to another set of accounts.

The budget is set at the start of the season, so while I'm sure there's flexibility, it's fair to say that without that fee, we'd have been looking at a solid loss; perhaps our worst since 2003. I wouldn't therefore call 'substantial' an exaggeration.

(Just as a reminder of how quickly we could squander our bank balance, even under Geoff Brown it only took us five seasons between 2000 and 2004 to accumulate £2.5million of losses – nearly £1m of that in a single season. We also went through five seasons of consecutive losses between 2009 and 2013).

Were Saints due any more money in add ons for Stevie May going to PNE that could be in those accounts?

30 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Were Saints due any more money in add ons for Stevie May going to PNE that could be in those accounts?

I don't know if there were any add-ons payable. It's possible the 'Income from Player Trading' line includes money for more than one player. But if so, then (a) the O'Halloran fee was much less than was publicised and (b) any Stevie May 'add-on' was pretty trivial.

That sounds unlikely, so my best guess is that there was no add-on.

1 minute ago, Mr Heliums said:

I don't know if there were any add-ons payable. It's possible the 'Income from Player Trading' line includes money for more than one player. But if so, then (a) the O'Halloran fee was much less than was publicised and (b) any Stevie May 'add-on' was pretty trivial.

That sounds unlikely, so my best guess is that there was no add-on.

If you see Stevie ask him for me please. Cheers.