The mad competitive West Super Division One thread 2016-2017

glensmad

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's that time of year when we start thinking about the points required for promotion and to avoid relegation.

What do we reckon the safety mark will be this year, and what total will be required to get automatic promotion or the play-off spot ?

Here are the maximum possible points for the teams as it stands at the moment :-

64 - Girvan

63 - Kilsyth Rangers

59 - Petershill

58 - Irvine Meadow XI, Shettleston

53 - Clydebank

50 - Cumbernauld United, Maryhill

49 - Rutherglen Glencairn

48 - Renfrew

46 - Yoker Athletic

42 - Shotts Bon Accord

39 - Blantyre Victoria

33 - Irvine Victoria

2 hours ago, glensmad said:

It's that time of year when we start thinking about the points required for promotion and to avoid relegation.

What do we reckon the safety mark will be this year, and what total will be required to get automatic promotion or the play-off spot ?

Here are the maximum possible points for the teams as it stands at the moment :-

64 - Girvan

63 - Kilsyth Rangers

59 - Petershill

58 - Irvine Meadow XI, Shettleston

53 - Clydebank

50 - Cumbernauld United, Maryhill

49 - Rutherglen Glencairn

48 - Renfrew

46 - Yoker Athletic

42 - Shotts Bon Accord

39 - Blantyre Victoria

33 - Irvine Victoria

Don't you start!

The last five years the points for the 2nd placed automatic promotion spot have been 54, 53, 61, 50, 52.

The last five years the points for the 3rd placed play-off spot have been 53, 49, 50, 45, 45.

The last five years the points for the 10th place safety mark have been 31 (goal difference), 33, 31*, 35, 34 (goal difference).

(* due to Kilwining being deducted points and subsequently relegated, otherwise it would have been 32).

Presuming you did the same sort of analysis last year. Would be interesting to compare from that who in fact went up and who went down.

Sorry, I've no idea how the table stood at the end of March 2016. Except that my team were on 17 points from 15 games at this point last year, and this year we're on 28 points from 19 games.

Sorry, I've no idea how the table stood at the end of March 2016. Except that my team were on 17 points from 15 games at this point last year, and this year we're on 28 points from 19 games.

So you did it cos ur team's doing better[emoji16]

So you did it cos ur team's doing better[emoji16]

You may think that, but if you check back last season's thread (and the season before that, and the season before that) you'll realise that you're wrong.

Again.

2 hours ago, ShahktarYerMaw said:

Presuming you did the same sort of analysis last year. Would be interesting to compare from that who in fact went up and who went down.

Cropped this from our programme from Saturday 9th April last year, biggest change after that was Greenock dropping like a stone, this year's bottom 4 are further adrift already.

table090416.jpg

18 minutes ago, glensmad said:

You may think that, but if you check back last season's thread (and the season before that, and the season before that) you'll realise that you're wrong.

Again.

I've run the same exercise in our programme the last few years on the run up to the midweek madness - it doesn't take into account the odd team going on a late-season charge or collapsing, but it's normally not a million miles away, and gives a truer idea of how teams are actually doing when they've played wildly different amounts of games.

Might use this for the programme for the next league game if that's okay - saves me working it out! ;)

Archived