The mad competitive West Super Division One thread 2016-2017

glensmad

1 hour ago, tombo said:

World Cup 1982 -  Austria 0 West Germany 0 :whistle

I'm too young to remember that :P

All joking aside though. I've never in my life been involved in a team who has specifically went out and set out to draw the game. How do you set out to draw a football match? I am sure both sides will be set up to be solid and try not to give much away defensively but when you have the ball you need to be positive. What happens if one of the teams are clean through on goal does the striker turn around and say I need to miss this because we are playing for a draw here?

As I said, it's a nonsense to me. It will be the same as any other game, the team who is the more solid defensively and is more clinical with their chances will win the game. If both of them are as good/sh*te as each other on the day, it might be a draw! :D

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Crazy Feet said:

I'm too young to remember that :P

All joking aside though. I've never in my life been involved in a team who has specifically went out and set out to draw the game. How do you set out to draw a football match? I am sure both sides will be set up to be solid and try not to give much away defensively but when you have the ball you need to be positive. What happens if one of the teams are clean through on goal does the striker turn around and say I need to miss this because we are playing for a draw here?

As I said, it's a nonsense to me. It will be the same as any other game, the team who is the more solid defensively and is more clinical with their chances will win the game. If both of them are as good/sh*te as each other on the day, it might be a draw! :D

It may not be a conscious thing though, it may be that the players just become naturally cautious and the game becomes a stalemate. Remember the match between Hibernian and Rangers on Helicopter Sunday. Rangers needed to win, Hibs needed to not lose by more than two goals. When Rangers took the lead early in the second half, the result then suited both sides, and neither team wanted to commit players forward for fear of losing a goal. It was no fix, it was just both sets of players knowing what they needed and protecting their own club's interests.

1 hour ago, kilsyth ranger said:

A mind this game , it was embarrassing to be honest , was like a training game , must say though i cant really remember a carve up in a junior game , some one may no different ?

There was one in the district leagues a few years back - forget the exact scenario of who was involved, but two sides only required a point to ensure safety and send another one down - the unlucky side might have been St Ants IIRC?

Spoke to somebody who was at the game who said it was a farce - neither side made any effort to attack for 90 minutes apart from one guy who obviously got bored halfway through and started trying to play before being told by his teammates to calm down and stick to the game plan...

Was talking last night about the possibility of this happening - with a title at stake I can't see Girvan deliberately shitfesting their way to a carve-up 0-0 - the title win would always be remembered for that more than the way they've played the rest of the season, and I doubt anyone would want the negative media attention doing that in a high-profile game would attract.

There was one a few years back - forget the exact scenario of who was involved, but two sides only required a point to ensure safety and send another one down - the unlucky side might have been St Ants IIRC?
Spoke to somebody who was at the game who said it was a farce - neither side made any effort to attack for 90 minutes apart from one guy who obviously got bored halfway through and started trying to play before being told by his teammates to calm down and stick to the game plan...

I think it was Greenock v St Anthony's, and it ended in a draw which relegated Cambuslang Rangers.

I think it was Greenock v St Anthony's, and it ended in a draw which relegated Cambuslang Rangers.

A bow 2 u and hillonearth's greater knowledge , a vaguely mind this scenario
A cant see any one playing for a draw either , self interest makes me hope yoker go for it , but it'l b interesting if its a draw with 10 mins to go lol

It was bellshill.. That was embarrassing that day. Boy had a free kick at halfway line n runs up n puts it back to his goal keeper. Karma now eh. Camby back in super first n they 2 teams in 2nd division

22 hours ago, glensmad said:

Just a word of congratulations for Cumbernauld United, though, they have once again secured their status as a Super League club. They seem to have been in this league for as long as us (they've certainly been in it the past six seasons), and I'm pleased for George Watson as he's one of the game's good guys.

22 hours ago, glensmad said:

Just a word of congratulations for Cumbernauld United, though, they have once again secured their status as a Super League club. They seem to have been in this league for as long as us (they've certainly been in it the past six seasons), and I'm pleased for George Watson as he's one of the game's good guys.

Thanks for the kind words Glensmad. looking forward , and upwards , to next season

Well done Girvan on winning the league look forward 2 taken another 6 points aff use next season.

Mon the papers

Got to give you's a chance some how to try and finish above us ;)

Archived