Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

Stunning fight, think everything flowing from the jab & his constant pressing ultimately gave him the decision.

Credit to Bredis though, his punch picking & combinations off the back foot were at times scintillating.

A rematch following the tournament conclusion would be a must see.

Decent fight but a bit long range and volume over power for me during the middle rounds - but like a 12 round Olympic fight.

Breidis has the power to hurt Usyk by looks of things but he couldn’t get by the size, range and volume. Had to work more when he had him Backed up or take more of a gamble and put a combination together when he made Usyk miss instead of his usual solitary(though excellent) counter.

Usyk is like a cruiser weight pacquiao with his speed and output.

I had Usyk by 3 or 4.

22 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

Loma Linares being discussed also, now that’s something to get excited about.

April 28th or May 12th, which basically means we get GGG v Canelo and Lomachenko v Linares within a week of each other. Be still my beating heart.

Personally hope it's April, as on a stagger in #marbs on the 12th, and that is not a fight I want to miss. Would imagine Sky will be trying like a bear to get both.

14 hours ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

Hope GGG smashes him but got a feeling Canelo will come out more brazen and know how to beat him.

Only problem I see with Canelo being more active in this one, is that he'll leave himself more open. Clear as day that both have unbelievable chins, but he won't want to give Golovkin too many more opportunities to test it.

Only problem I see with Canelo being more active in this one, is that he'll leave himself more open. Clear as day that both have unbelievable chins, but he won't want to give Golovkin too many more opportunities to test it.

Agreed. The only time Canelo looked to have GGG In bother was when he put his foot to the floor and went for it. He can’t win a boxing match with GGG imo. This fight is destined to be even better than the last.

Usyk - Briedis was a good, close fight with a nice style match up. Ended up wanting Briedis to win after watching Usyk tapping his head or waist with his glove 5 or 6 times, can't stand it when boxers try to ref a fight.  Thought he was the more predictable of the 2, maybe because of the atmosphere he was fighting in, and he hangs around far too long after an attack waiting to get countered. I assume all the HW talk so far has been PR/marketing material, can't imagine him going beyond 3 or 4 rounds with any decent HW right now.

Always enjoy watching Linares, he's the sort of fighter where I'll go to the gym the following week and try a couple of things out that I've seen.  His paper thin skin was on show again at the weekend, he hasn't improved since the back to back DeMarco and Thompson defeats and is only going to get slower as time goes on.  5 years of clever matchmaking has got people talking highly of him again though and he knows how to work that UK money but the guy's a TKO waiting to happen as soon as he faces anyone at world level.

Matthyse fight was poor but I suppose he at least got through to Kiram in the end who looked massive at 147.

Not surprised about the Khan opponent.  Clever move by Matchroom/Sky who'll probably spend half the fight reminding everyone that 2 out Lo Greco's 3 defeats have been against Spence and Porter and there's no shame in that etc............ 

Alvarez definitely wins that rematch imo.

Edited by Boostin' Kev

Got a proposition for everyone now the prediction league is over.

My club have just offered to put me through the training to represent them as a qualified ringside judge for amateur bouts across the country, apart from bouts involving our own fighters of course.  I wondered if anyone would be interested in doing a scorecard for one fight a weekend (we can pick the biggest fight of the weekend) and we can compare scorecards.  Would be good for generating a bit of discussion and I'd appreciate the practise as well. :)

Got a proposition for everyone now the prediction league is over.
My club have just offered to put me through the training to represent them as a qualified ringside judge for amateur bouts across the country, apart from bouts involving our own fighters of course.  I wondered if anyone would be interested in doing a scorecard for one fight a weekend (we can pick the biggest fight of the weekend) and we can compare scorecards.  Would be good for generating a bit of discussion and I'd appreciate the practise as well. [emoji4]

No sure I’d manage every weekend, but happy to help out as and when. Might help me not go out and get too pushed to remember the fights!

2 hours ago, gkneil said:

I see lo Greco did his best to hype the fight by mentioning Khan's tweets to Joshua last year in the press conference.

Frampton v Donaire on the same night, and the fight itself being a total mismatch leads perfectly in to some standard Matchroom pantomime shenanigans to build interest. Does the job every time. 

1 minute ago, J_Stewart said:

Frampton v Donaire on the same night, and the fight itself being a total mismatch leads perfectly in to some standard Matchroom pantomime shenanigans to build interest. Does the job every time. 

Aye, made all MSM outlets so high fives all round.

I'm sure fast Eddie didn't expect to be mistaken for a bouncer by BBC Breakfast News though :lol:

Got a proposition for everyone now the prediction league is over. My club have just offered to put me through the training to represent them as a qualified ringside judge for amateur bouts across the country, apart from bouts involving our own fighters of course.  I wondered if anyone would be interested in doing a scorecard for one fight a weekend (we can pick the biggest fight of the weekend) and we can compare scorecards.  Would be good for generating a bit of discussion and I'd appreciate the practise as well. [emoji4]

another east coast judge to carve up cards in favour of the east coast fighter... absolutely rife in scottish amateur boxing.

I am into the

Tv scoring thing but.