Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

As it's at the Hydro I think you'd need to assume it's not going to be a title shot. McGuigan had already suggested Catterall wouldn't be his next opponent but, regardless, as the champ you'd have to imagine he'd look to have that fight in Manchester or the likes. Can't see Cyclone paying over the odds to take him here.

It seems to point towards a finale for Burns. The timing is probably right with no obvious opponent for Taylor right now and Burns probably looking to get out the game with one final pay day.

Very underwhelming fight! Not even as good as his last fight imo and Taylor with nothing to gain.
Same night as the Kell Brook card, won’t be making my way to Glasgow for this unfortunately. Very disappointed.
Easton v Foot for the commonwealth on the undercard should be good.

Surely Cyclone are going to take another massive hit on this?
Seems bizarre to have this at the Hydro.

Strange choice of venue for a fight like this, they must feel as though Taylor's crossed over enough to make it worthwhile. 

I think the crowd will be okay, not a sell out but busy enough. If he looks shit hot it’ll definitely help boost the crowd in future (could argue that’d be the case if it was in Edinburgh) but imagine the Hydro will be the most likely venue going forward.

Soto hasn't fought since October 2016 :lol: Taylor should win this comfortably. 

The Hydro is a weird venue, Braehead wasn't nearly sold out for the Davies fight, I'm sure that would have sufficed for this one.  Hydro is easier for travelling back though so I'm not complaining.

Edited by St. Jude

9e9a4cdee14042e9d5eb5a2f91515532.jpg

[emoji7][emoji7][emoji7][emoji7][emoji7]

Apparently negotiations for him underway to fight Pacquaio, possibly at 140 in autumn. He wins that, and he’s a global megastar, then I think the truly huge fights against prime fighters like Garcia, Linares, etc happen. Going to be some few years watching the most special fighter on the planet.

54 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

9e9a4cdee14042e9d5eb5a2f91515532.jpg

emoji7.pngemoji7.pngemoji7.pngemoji7.pngemoji7.png

Apparently negotiations for him underway to fight Pacquaio, possibly at 140 in autumn. He wins that, and he’s a global megastar, then I think the truly huge fights against prime fighters like Garcia, Linares, etc happen. Going to be some few years watching the most special fighter on the planet.

Saw this on FB. Manny hasn't fought at 140 since 2010! Agree that Lomachenko wins but have doubts it'll happen. 

Continually pulling fighters out of their divisions is real diva behaviour, its kind of understandable when it's a future hall of famer in the twilight of their career but not when he's barely got 10 pro fights under his belt. I like Lomachenko but would much rather see him follow Terence Crawfords example. 

Continually pulling fighters out of their divisions is real diva behaviour, its kind of understandable when it's a future hall of famer in the twilight of their career but not when he's barely got 10 pro fights under his belt. I like Lomachenko but would much rather see him follow Terence Crawfords example. 

If it was at 140 then he’d be jumping two weight classes to fight in a division he’s never fought at, whilst Pacquaio would be dropping one to a weight that he can comfortably make and one where he was arguably at his best, and from what I’ve read it appears to be Pacquaio that’s pushing for the fight anyway.

Crawford and Lomachenko’s careers aren’t comparable, Crawford was a fairly unheralded amateur who’s done his apprenticeship in the pros and worked his way up, whilst Lomachenko is arguably the greatest amateur boxer of all time who then had the most hyped debut in history. This isn’t going to be an ordinary career and he isn’t going to be promoted in an ordinary way, he’s a once in a lifetime talent and will be showcased as such.

Spence Jnr v Peterson should be pretty straightforward defence for “Spencer” (as that knob Froch kept calling him) but a good name for the record, and sure Peterson will come to have a go. Should be an entertaining fight.

I'd be surprised if a 39 year old shopworn boxer turned politician like Pacquiao could make 140 easily and who wants to see Lomachenko in a 3rd fight in a row against anyone outwith his own division?

Crawford and Lomachenko's career's are very similar.  They're both much hyped Top Rank pros that are by far the best in their divisions.   In the past 12 months one has went on to become undisputed and has now taken on a belt holder who just beat Pacquiao as his first fight in the division above and the other has beaten Sosa, a decent but very linear fighter tailor made for him, Mariaga who had come off the back of a loss at 126 and was pulled up a division afterwards and Rigondeaux who was already small at 122 and brought up 2 divisions.

I'm a big fan of Lomachenko's style of fighting, it's similar to what we're encouraged to do where I train, but he hasn't proven much yet and I don't think we should be congratulating what he's done last year as the best boxer of 2017, that's Rungvisai or Crawford imo.  He's giving his critics a lot of unnecessary ammunition just now and starting to look like a diva/overhyped fighter which I hope changes in 2018.

I'd be surprised if a 39 year old shopworn boxer turned politician like Pacquiao could make 140 easily and who wants to see Lomachenko in a 3rd fight in a row against anyone outwith his own division?
Crawford and Lomachenko's career's are very similar.  They're both much hyped Top Rank pros that are by far the best in their divisions.   In the past 12 months one has went on to become undisputed and has now taken on a belt holder who just beat Pacquiao as his first fight in the division above and the other has beaten Sosa, a decent but very linear fighter tailor made for him, Mariaga who had come off the back of a loss at 126 and was pulled up a division afterwards and Rigondeaux who was already small at 122 and brought up 2 divisions.
I'm a big fan of Lomachenko's style of fighting, it's similar to what we're encouraged to do where I train, but he hasn't proven much yet and I don't think we should be congratulating what he's done last year as the best boxer of 2017, that's Rungvisai or Crawford imo.  He's giving his critics a lot of unnecessary ammunition just now and starting to look like a diva/overhyped fighter which I hope changes in 2018.

I’m a huge fan of Crawford, but you can easily spin his two fights last year and upcoming fight in the same way as you have above if you wanted to. Diaz had already lost to a shopworn Lamont Peterson so not exactly elite competition, the best name on Indongo’s record is a shopworn Ricky Burns, and Jeff Horn is by some distance the weakest title holder at 147, who got a gift decision against Pacquaio. There was barely any media hype around Crawford until roughly fight 20 in his pro career, Lomachenko was a globally hyped star before fight one, and the start of his pro career isn’t comparable to any other boxers, it’s never been done like this before. Arum’s promoting him like an attraction as well as a world champion and that’s what they’ll continue to do. Rigondeaux turned the fight down at 126 when first offered it too remember, it wasn’t until he realised he wouldn’t get close to a pay day his talent deserves (due to being ducked by the likes of frampton, quigg, etc) that he agreed to the fight at 130.

Spence jnr was tremendous last night. There’s nothing flashy or showy about him, but he’s so accurate, patient and spiteful. Would love to see him and Crawford once Terence has had a few fights to get used to the weight.

The Robert Easter fight was awful, if you haven’t watched that card yet, fast forward it. Dreadful stuff.

There's no spin on what I posted earlier,  just reality. Last year Lomachenko and Crawford were excellent boxers in relatively weak divisions. Crawford cleared his out and nobody can complain about Horn as his first fight at 147, the only controversy with his victory over Pacquiao was in the US via Teddy Atlas' commentary  who has since  been dropped from commentating on big fights and will return to low key midweek cards like before.  

Lomachenko beat an ok opponent in Sosa then fucked about pulling up smaller fighters from lower divisions. He's getting very overhyped just now despite having made no progress in his division since the Walters victory in 2016.

Thurman outboxes Spence Jr imo.