Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

1 minute ago, GiGi said:

Aye ok. I thought it was a great fight with Ward throwing in some panto villain stuff. Poor end really. 

I would have preferred a cleaner finish myself but I think Kov knows deep down that he was beaten by the better man, he didn't really show that much emotion about it to suggest he thought he was going to win.

The ref was way too quick to stop it. He hardly checked Kov's condition or asked if he was OK to continue. He should have issued a count due to the ropes holding him up. In a title fight with two elite boxers you'd expect him to let it play out a bit further.
Also missed repeated low blows, not a good night for him.

The stoppage was a joke tbh, even if you ignore the blatant low blows why not give him a count for the ropes holding him up ? There's no need to stop it at this point.

The shot to the head that hurt Kovalev was peach but it only came about because Ward hit him in the baws not long before it. I had Kovalev ahead at the stoppage but he looked like he was tiring again and Ward was coming on, shame we didn't get to see a proper finish.

There's no chance Ward takes a third fight so he should go after Stevenson and I hope Kovalev fights Beterbiev.

46 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

If you're being held up by the ropes then it's a knock down.

That's why I think the ref was correct to stop it, if he doesn't see anything wrong with Ward' punches and a guy is sitting on the ropes making no attempt to lift his arms, what's he supposed to think, I wouldn't have argued with a count and continue but Kov was either on the verge of giving up or had given up, as you know, I'm not into extra punishment for the sake of it.

7 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

a0cba8aabeb9701669f2c08d715ca3dd.jpg

Fair do's from the ref, the worst decision I saw this morning was Rigondeaux getting the decision, the ref knew the punch was thrown after the bell yet allows his decision to be dictated by someone on the end of a phone, what's that all about.

13 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

Aye just had a look at actual site it's not verified you're probably correct.

I saw it on reddit a fraction later and that was the consensus. Agree with the contents either way haha.

The Rigondeaux decision has been reversed, I think.  Farcical stuff from the ref in that one as well.  YOu could hear how much he wanted a way out of giving a no-contest or DQ for Rigondeux.

I thought Ward was winning the fight and a couple of the low blows were on the belt-line rather than in the balls but the finish was poor refereeing. 

35 minutes ago, NathanQP said:

Ward talking about moving up to fight Joshua

Freakshow fights are all the rage. 

But if Kovalev can put him on his arse.. would definitely like to see that.