Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

Just watched the Ward/Kovalev. Shocking refereeing. In the final round Ward stops boxing because he knew it was a low blow but the ref didn't give Kovalev time and Ward took full advantage with some terrific shots but as Kovalev covered up the last 3 blows were clearly low as well. No idea why the fight was stopped rather than Kovalev given a count at worst.

A complete shambles. Was rather a good fight until the end.

Kov should've had a standing 8 count there I reckon, only the last one was low but he was on his way down before that. I had Ward up 5-3 at the time of the stoppage and it was just a matter of time till he stopped him.

Great fight though, Kovalev again started the better and showed he's an underrated boxer behind that jab. Ward is a genius though, adjusted so well and made it his fight with the clinching and inside fighting.

Love Ward, he looks better than ever. Unquestionably number 1 Pound for Pound imo.

The last blow was definitely in the hawmaws, the rest were either on the waistband or inconclusive on the clips I watched, once the ref decides they aren't low blows then I feel he had no choice but to stop the fight, Kov is on the bottom rope with his hands down and head wide open, Ward has stopped and is standing right next to his head looking at the ref.
FWIW, the better man won, Kov was clutching at straws for a wee while IMO,the fight was only going one way from that clubbing hook.

You don't stop a fight because someone might get hit with unanswered punches to the head. You stop it when he starts getting them. He wasn't. He was also probably being held up by the ropes so it should have been a count at worst or else a warning/deduction for ward.

Kov should've had a standing 8 count there I reckon, only the last one was low but he was on his way down before that. I had Ward up 5-3 at the time of the stoppage and it was just a matter of time till he stopped him.

Great fight though, Kovalev again started the better and showed he's an underrated boxer behind that jab. Ward is a genius though, adjusted so well and made it his fight with the clinching and inside fighting.

Love Ward, he looks better than ever. Unquestionably number 1 Pound for Pound imo.

What evidence is there that it was just a matter of time before he stopped him? He hurt him once to the head.

What evidence is there that it was just a matter of time before he stopped him? He hurt him once to the head.

Kovalev was blowing out his arse, dropping his hands and whining to the ref constantly. Ward was beating him up inside and was landing easily to the body. That would've been a knock down if it hadn't been stopped.

Agree entirely with this and also had ward ahead by the same margin. Quite similar to the first fight - Ward had clearly taken control of the last couple of rounds and was going to pull away on points/force a stoppage.

Definitely number 1 p4p for me.

No standing 8 count rule btw. Kovalev should have taken a knee at the time then took the count to regroup and get into the ref about the low punches. His dick took a battering.

No standing 8 count rule btw. Kovalev should have taken a knee at the time then took the count to regroup and get into the ref about the low punches. His dick took a battering.

Didn't realise he had a dick on his temple or his jaw.

14 minutes ago, GiGi said:

He was already a beaten fighter by then.

The right hand that led to the finish was a cracker. But I think Kovalev would have been alright to see out the round if he took the count. Ward definitely softened up his Davinas before that though. 

2 minutes ago, GiGi said:

The right hand that led to the finish was a cracker. But I think Kovalev would have been alright to see out the round if he took the count. Ward definitely softened up his Davinas before that though. 

Kov doubled over with a punch to the lower abdomen that already softened him up.

1 minute ago, ayrmad said:

Kov doubled over with a punch to the lower abdomen that already softened him up.

Aye ok. I thought it was a great fight with Ward throwing in some panto villain stuff. Poor end really.