Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

An hour ago he was saying Eubank was the real deal and that he was gonna win now he is basically saying he’s shite and he’s finished.

Naz believed the hype [emoji23]
A bit like when he got put in his place by Barrera?

Nas was clearly steaming and had put a decent bit on Eubank by the looks of it. 

I got Groves points at 11/2, it looked the safest bet from the start. Eubank is utter shite, the damage he would have took off GGG would have been unreal if he took that fight. He should go back down to 160 purely for the quality of fights (168 is dead) he would lose to all the good guys down there but he might drag them into a war or even better, get brutally iced.

I always thought GG was on a different level but the week of the fight I started to doubt that he was still hungry enough and thought Eubank had a chance with his work rate and superior inside fighting. 12 rounds is a long time to fight at someone else’s pace on the back foot keeping them at distance.

However, BJS aside, we haven’t seen CEJ in with anyone who can box and so I didn’t fully appreciate just how much difficult he has getting inside if he can’t just steam in.

His actual boxing ability was appalling. He had no jab or any craft of subtlety to his attacks. He just piles forward head down and swinging like a pub fighter.

Once he’s inside he can work but GG didn’t let him and just tied him up.

Actually annoyed at myself saying that if I had to pick it'd be Eubank. :lol: I've never enjoyed watching him fight and he was murder in that fight.  

That was no Billy Joe Saunders  boxing lesson from Groves though, he was disciplined which I like but it was a pretty boring fight imo. He could do well at 168 though which is probably the weakest division in the sport hence the reason Eubank Jr moved up. 

Got to hand it to everyone involved in the promotion of it, I was speaking to people that weren't even hardcore enough to be casuals that were mentioning to me yesterday, girlfriend said the local cinema was showing it. :lol: The production felt like it was Joshua/Wilder or Thurman/Spence Jr.  That was a European level match up really so well done to everyone that probably got overpaid for being involved in that event. 

Watched Garcia/Rios and half watched the Benavidez fight, another quiet weekend. 

Braehmer has pulled out of the Smith fight through illness. Reports he will be replaced by some Dutch jobber.

Could be a shambolic ending to the tournament if Smith was to walk through two replacements if Groves doesn't recover.

Shame really as it is a great concept but this is always the danger I suppose.

Braehmer has pulled out of the Smith fight through illness. Reports he will be replaced by some Dutch jobber.
Could be a shambolic ending to the tournament if Smith was to walk through two replacements if Groves doesn't recover.
Shame really as it is a great concept but this is always the danger I suppose.

Describing Holzken as a jobber might be harsh (might not be), he’s 13-0 but admittedly without a notable win yet. 105 kickboxing fights with 90 wins isn’t bad though. Should be half decent but it’s quite a task for his first big fight!