Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

I think from a financial point of view a draw was a good result for GGG, for all his wins/belts/ko's he hasn't made a lot of cash in boxing terms, this draw will guarantee a rematch and another huge cheque.

3 minutes ago, kiddy said:

What chances they knew before hand he couldn't be beaten?

You can fight how you like under no pressure.

I don't know how either of them could be sure their chins going to hold up, the probably know there's a good chance now but I wouldn't like to fight either with the wrong attitude.

Edited by ayrmad

Lots of write ups in the last few weeks about this being the perfect antidote to the money-driven, sham spectacle of McGregor v Mayweather. And yet this manages to somehow come away with less credibility for boxing. 118 ffs, what an absolute joke.  She needs jailed for that.

10 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

I think from a financial point of view a draw was a good result for GGG, for all his wins/belts/ko's he hasn't made a lot of cash in boxing terms, this draw will guarantee a rematch and another huge cheque.

He didn't look massively upset to have been robbed there.

5 minutes ago, Alan Stubbs said:

Lots of write ups in the last few weeks about this being the perfect antidote to the money-driven, sham spectacle of McGregor v Mayweather. And yet this manages to somehow come away with less credibility for boxing. 118 ffs, what an absolute joke.  She needs jailed for that.

I think that's just down to him being a good sportsman, can you imagine Froch in that position.

Edited by ayrmad

21 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

4 minutes ago, Alan Stubbs said:

That's one thing that always annoyed me about Golovkin, he's never really called anyone out post fight. He always speaks in broken English and says the same things. I'd have have loved him to have had a translator and said the 118 card was bullshit and he thought he won.

5 minutes ago, Super_A said:

That's one thing that always annoyed me about Golovkin, he's never really called anyone out post fight. He always speaks in broken English and says the same things. I'd have have loved him to have had a translator and said the 118 card was bullshit and he thought he won.

It's just not in some peoples make up to do that.

A great fight ruined by a shambolic scorecard. I had GGG up by two, but Canelo did better than I expected.

It's scary to see what GGG just walks through. Short of a sledgehammer I just can't see Canelo dropping him in a rematch.

Just now, ayrmad said:

I think that's just down to him being a good sportsman, can you imagine Froch in that position.

Aye, a bit OTT on reflection. I've got massive respect for Golovkin. It's just with the blatancy of the corruption on display and the fact that it's worked out fairly well for everyone financially; it's hard not to feel that the fans have been totally cheated by that pish.

Just now, Comrie said:

A great fight ruined by a shambolic scorecard. I had GGG up by two, but Canelo did better than I expected.

It's scary to see what GGG just walks through. Short of a sledgehammer I just can't see Canelo dropping him in a rematch.

I thought they were both very good at taking the best that the other had, at no point in that fight dId I think GGG could drop Alvarez.

From the Times, Ron Lewis Twitter feed:-

Adalaide Byrd gave GGG just rounds 4 and 7. Everything else to Canelo.

For what it's worth, the punch stats had Golovkin outlanding Canelo by 218-169 

She judged Canelo's last 3 fights in Vegas, Khan, GGG and Chavez (not Cotto). Robert Byrd reffed the Cotto fight

Byrd actually scored Khan ahead of Canelo at the time of stoppage.

1 minute ago, kiddy said:

Oh, as for the Saunders fight, my P&B connection was down,I thought it was a complete snooze.

He's laughing if he thinks he could beat either GGG/Canelo. Both would walk right through him.

There was a few decent performances b4 he came on, DDD has the punches and the power to trouble the heavyweight division if he has a chin and Yarde looked huge compared to his opponent, Reid was very entertaining, a very flashy boxer, I thought De La Hoya cruised through his big test and into world title contention on the big undercard.

17 minutes ago, kiddy said:

DJ5iWnnXkAAq8lq.jpg:small

I don't think you could call rounds six to nine by 39-37 under any system, some of the rounds 3-5 you could give either way,  IMO Alvarez misjudged those rounds as he made it easy for the judges to hand them to the man that was more active, another 20/30 seconds in each of those rounds and he'd have won the fight outright in my book, then again he might have been blowing out his arse due to expending that extra energy.

He might speak a fair bit of pish sometimes (although not last night from the clips I've seen), but there're few things as entertaining as Teddy Atlas being apoplectic with rage. Genuinely looked like he was going to punch the giant tv he was doing his interview on, and then got so angry that he completely pied the cameras broadcasting him and just started roaring directly at Stephen A Smith who was on it. Fantastic stuff.