Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

It promotes a false view of boxing. It caters for the uneducated, know very little casual observer of boxing- whose main interest is other sports- football.

It's pretends that the match ups it makes are the very best that can be made when most of its match ups are uncompetitive farces. It is all spin, lies and deception to pretend that the home fighter's chances of being beaten are greater than they are. It exaggerates the strengths of the fall guys who are brought in as opponents to fool your uneducated observer into thinking the boy had a chance.

Sky provides Matchroom with a monopoly on boxing. In any other walk of life monopolies are prohibited- why? Because they allow one company to operate without competition and shaft the consumer- exactly what Sky do.

Matchroom and Sky continually push at the very edges of what they can get away with in terms of serving up utterly dross PPV match ups- again capitalising on the uneducated viewers lack of knowledge about just how uncompetitive the match up is. They use their sky sports news platform as a propoganda tool to exploit the customer whilst pretending that other meaningful match ups don't exist if they haven't been willing to pay to buy the rights for it.

They won't fight anyone whose promoted by any other UK fighter incase its to the benefit of someone who could be a threat. They use their stranglehold over U.K. Boxing to leave others with no alternative but to join them.

Instead of trying to expose boxing to as big a fan base as possible in order to grow the sport- as soon as someone gets a name about themselves you are made to pay to watch them fight. Again the undercard is always made the very lowest standard they can possibly get away with.

When you've paid £16-20 for your pay per view you are then exposed to repeated adverts between rounds which means you often miss fighters quitting and the advice provided by cornermen which is key. Not content to profit twice from your sky sports subscription and then your additional PPV charge- the greedy b*****ds profit even further by selling repeated advertising slots to bet 365.

They panelists offer their most bland, inane analysis going. There is a clear party like that is provided to them and god help anyone who deviates from it. Instead of hearing genuine insight from those who've fought- we generally hear preprepared cliches and key messages devised by Adam smith, Barney Francis or whoeever else. Again the lack of education and knowledge of your average sky subscriber is exploited and encouraged.

The sky and Matchroom link up has also led to Britain becoming one of the most corrupt countries in the world. We used to say you neeeded a KO in Italy or Germany to get a draw- however, the benefit of the doubt is blatantly given to Matchroom fighters- there are multiple examples over recent years.

the Matchroom and stub hub cabal and how they operate to exploit boxing fans who wish to attend fights is utterly immoral. Rampant, cynical, exploitative, manipulative capitalism at its worst and it should and probably will be criminal activity in future. They know that but they have absolutely no qualms about making the most of it whilst they can. They've no moral standards as money is god and they do not give a toss about those whose money they take.

Finally they've also encouraged and attracted and the worst type of
Boxing fan possible- in fact they've reproduced them and made that type of fan 'the norm' at their show. People that have absolutely no respect for the traditions of boxing, coked out their faces, pissed, mocking other fighters, showing no respect to other fighters, attention seeking wannabes that turn up for the main event. The type of folk that couldn't fight sleep but shout "easy easy" when their chosen fighter wins as they sit swilling a pint.

So that's why I can't stand Hearn or sky.

And I didn't even get around to mentioning anything about the character of that utter slimeball and creep- Adam smith.

Completely agree.

Particularly the parts re stub hub and the panelists.

The only decent panellist they have is Paulie M who is on now and again. Tony Bellew occasionally offers decent insight when he isn't pretend frothing at the mouth with somebody to create some angle and create interest in what will ultimately be an absolute farce of a fight. Don't get me started on Carl "80k" Froch an absolute monotone moron no doubt getting paid a fortune to talk about a sport that he admits he doesn't even really watch/follow.

To Matchroom's credit they have produced two decent PPV main events in last nights and the upcoming Brook v Spence. But for a PPV that undercard last night was woeful as expected. I wonder if that will be the case for Brook v Spence who don't have the same casual following. But I can't help but think Hearn had that in mind when he made the Brook v GGG mismatch which he knew could possibly increase Brook's casual following for future events like the upcoming one.

For me it's all just coming a bit too WWE.

Sky doesn't have a monopoly on boxing in the UK - Frank Warren has a big stable with his own TV platform in Boxnation and a wider TV deal with BT Sport, you have ITV getting involved with fights and also Hennessey showing fights on Channel 5.  Matchroom aren't any different to the other promoters in terms of serving up fighters.  I posted a few months back that all the things that Hearn is criticised for now, Warren used to get slated for in the 90s/00s.  Hatton was Warren's cashcow and I remember all the boxing forums united in their contempt for the fights he had before he took on Kosta Tzsyu.  These promoters are looking to build their fighter up and also to maximise what the fighter can do and earn.  I don't think anyone could begrudge these guys that.  Promoters aren't running a fantasy boxing league, they want to set their fighters up with the best fights for the best rewards not serve them up to get KO'd.

We can all have a laugh about the 'Sweet Caroline' fans and all that but it's completely false to suggest that this is somehow a new phenomenon.  All through the history of British boxing you see really high profile fighters fighting in big arenas - Frank Bruno, Eubank, Benn, Hamed, Hatton etc.  Not everyone is a hardcore fan, that's the way of the world I'm afraid.  

Jesus f**k I can't even be arsed reading that. Looks like a meltdown on a quick scan though.
Something about the casual fan I'm guessing. Why would it cater for anything else? That's what Boxnation is for.
You sound silly. Have a line and sing along like the rest of us bud.

More or less, seems gutted that people who also like other sports want to go to boxing and have a good time rather than have a direct line from what the cornerman is saying.

The PnB "experts" on here have been wanting AJ to lose since he turned pro, if he was eastern European they'd be falling over themselves to proclaim his greatness.

Sweet Caroline is some fucking track

Still Mangled. Great day yesterday. I take the piss out of Eddie as much as anyone, but what a fucking atmosphere and laugh. Tremendous fun and a great fight. Looking forward to watching it back, but I had Wlad up on points at the time of the stoppage. Sensational uppercut. I doubted Joshua as much as anyone, but he's the real deal, great performance from both, answered a lot of questions!

Just rewatched the fight.  Scored it 95-93 for Klitschko going into the 11th - gave AJ rounds 1, 3, 5 (10-8) and 9.  Wlad with 2, 4, 6(10-8), 7, 8 and 10.  Most of the rounds could go either way though.

5 minutes ago, sjc said:

Who was Hatton with? I remember being at one of his fights at the MEN Arena and the place was full of fucking arseholes. Am sure it wasn't Matchroom. Frank Warren?

Hatton was promoted by Frank Warren until after the Tszyu fight.  AFter that he was with Dennis Hobson. 

Thought Joshua got off the hook big time.  Hardly knew where he was for two rounds after he was on the floor and Klitschko should have finished it.  A more ruthless opponent would have had him.

He did well though to recover and win but there has to be a few question marks over him.  Having said that there isn't a lot of talent in the division, he's already beaten Whyte, Breazale and Klitschko and I don't rate Wilder or Fury.

4 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Thought Joshua got off the hook big time.  Hardly knew where he was for two rounds after he was on the floor and Klitschko should have finished it.  A more ruthless opponent would have had him.

He did well though to recover and win but there has to be a few question marks over him.  Having said that there isn't a lot of talent in the division, he's already beaten Whyte, Breazale and Klitschko and I don't rate Wilder or Fury.

Not sure you can say Klitchko isn't ruthless. He has 50+ kos on his CV!

8 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Hatton was promoted by Frank Warren until after the Tszyu fight.  AFter that he was with Dennis Hobson. 

Cheers. Am sure it was maybe a year before the Tszyu fight so Warren it was.

I can't really see why not.  The contract for the second fight has already been agreed.  Wlad will feel he was a bit unfortunate not to get the win and will recognise what he did wrong and look to rectify that.  A second fight will sell relatively easily after how good that fight was.  It will depend if Wlad wants to do it again.  Going on his press conferences after the fight he still seems quite positive.  I can't see him taking any other fight though.