Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

What evidence? Wlad couldn't stop him and he hits as hard as wilder and with far superior technique and accuracy.

I don't particularly like Joshua and I can't stand matchroom and Sky but he proved he can't last the distance(albeit after a second wind) and can take some decent shots.

Wilder's form is terrible, he can bang but if josh can make Wlad miss then he can make wilder miss

54 minutes ago, Fraser Fyvie said:

Wlad does not hit as hard as Wilder. AJ looked vulnerable at times in there, if Wilder puts him down he won't be getting back up.

Wilder has fought nobodies thus allowing him to throw the haymakers you talk of and disguising his limited technique.

Wlad does not hit as hard as Wilder. AJ looked vulnerable at times in there, if Wilder puts him down he won't be getting back up.

Wlad's power is tried and tested against every notable heavyweight in the last generation. Wilder has taken until the late rounds to get plodders like duaphaus and molina KOd. Unless you've been in with them then you've nothing that can back up your claim that wilder hits harder.

I really enjoyed the fight last night.  Both fighters were excellent.  I thought Wlad controlled the fight for large parts and tactically was spot on.  Joshua has weaknesses but his strength and power means that a fighter has to take risk to fully expose him.

AJ was pretty shocked that the fight wasn't over in the fifth and I actually thought Wlad did enough in the fifth round to make up the one point deficit from the knockdown. The sixth was excellent.  If Wlad took a bit more risk in the sixth and seventh he would have stopped AJ, but Wlad knew he could control the rest of the fight without stepping inside too much.  But was caught in the 11th with an absolute monster of an upper cut.  AJ's power allows him to always be in a fight.

Deontay Wlder has the power to KO AJ but his technique and boxing skills are pretty poor.  His wild swinging is easy enough to avoid and I think AJ would KO him long before he has the opportunity to really trouble AJ.  The most interesting fight out there is the Fury fight.  I still think Fury wins.

I think Wlad can still carry on, he was in great shape, was sharp and I had him just ahead at the start of the 11th.  

Just up again after that, what a fight last night.  Both men can take huge credit.   Wlad's tactical performance, his recovery from the early knockdown, the superb skills he showed and the guts to come back from a knockdown to almost stop Joshua in the next round.  Joshua though - that was a performance for the ages.  To get through someone like Klitschko's defence and floor him three times is a great achievement, he showed magnificent power and technique to do it.  He also showed great resilience and character to come back from a heavy, heavy knockdown not just to survive but to fight his way back into the contest and eventually deliver the winning blows.  It also wasn't as if he just got lucky with a wild punch - Joshua lost the first few rounds following his knockdown but he cleared his head and came back to maybe shade the next few.  What Joshua did in the 11th as well, it's just outstanding.  To show the skill to deliver those sort of punches after the fight he'd been in is remarkable and the stamina (an obvious question mark at the start of the fight) Joshua displayed was exemplary.  

The unknowns about Joshua beforehand were his ability to fight a higher caliber of opponent, his punch resistance, his stamina going into the late rounds and his boxing brain.  He really answered them all - he beat the best opponent of his career clearly, he managed to recover from as heavy a knockdown as you'll see in a heavyweight contest, he recovered in the late rounds and got a stoppage and he showed great nous to stay in the fight and eventually get into a position to deliver the punches.

Klitschko deserves huge credit though, a lot of questions were thereabout the impact of the Fury defeat and if he was going to age overnight.  The intelligence, control and sheer skill of his fight was for the ages.  The way he used his jab and managed to stay out of range for counters using his shoulders, his footwork, the punch picking of his jab, the right hand that put Joshua down.  The heart and poise he showed to deal with the crisis he had in the fifth was also remarkable.  In the end he just couldn't keep Joshua off him though.

For the future, a rematch would be worth having, although fights against Wilder and Fury for Joshua are also hugely attractive.  I haven't seen much of Wilder outside highlight reels but he can clearly punch so it'd be interesting on that count.  Fury beat Klitschko in a very different way to Joshua and would present a huge challenge with his boxing skill and size but one that I think Joshua would be confident he could answer.  Fury has been down against quite limited fighters and if Joshua could unpick the defence then I wouldn't be surprised if he hurt Fury.  You've also got the questions about the anti-doping charges and whether Fury is mentally and physically prepared for a fight like this.  

5 hours ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

They respond to the money so the vast majority of those placing bets obviously had Wlad ahead.

No, that means the majority of money thought Wlad would win from that point.

6 hours ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

What evidence? Wlad couldn't stop him and he hits as hard as wilder and with far superior technique and accuracy.

I don't particularly like Joshua and I can't stand matchroom and Sky but he proved he can't last the distance(albeit after a second wind) and can take some decent shots.

Wilder's form is terrible, he can bang but if josh can make Wlad miss then he can make wilder miss

Why can't you stand a platform that promotes boxing? That is strange.

I think there's an element of truth in Joshua saying he beat a focused and prepared Klitchko as opposed to a complacent one.

Let's be honest, not many predicted that Fury would outbox Klitchko back in 2015. Fury's CV was just as barren as Joshua's prior to them fighting Klitchko. 

I can understand his point of view. A few years ago Ringside on Sky was excellent, covered lots of different boxing and was informative and pretty fair. The exclusivity with matchroom has starved other British promoters of coverage, and Sky is only interested in protecting their own.

But in a commercial world this will always happen. I certainly don't hate Sky but can understand why people don't like them.

54 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Boxing is weird. That was 4 absolutely abysmal rounds followed 8 brilliant, brilliant, brilliant rounds. Absolutely loved that from the 5th onwards.

I missed the first two rounds trying to get my cough link cough working, but the 3rd and 4th round i thought were decent in terms of both trying to measure their opponents and see what's available 

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Just up again after that, what a fight last night.  Both men can take huge credit.   Wlad's tactical performance, his recovery from the early knockdown, the superb skills he showed and the guts to come back from a knockdown to almost stop Joshua in the next round.  Joshua though - that was a performance for the ages.  To get through someone like Klitschko's defence and floor him three times is a great achievement, he showed magnificent power and technique to do it.  He also showed great resilience and character to come back from a heavy, heavy knockdown not just to survive but to fight his way back into the contest and eventually deliver the winning blows.  It also wasn't as if he just got lucky with a wild punch - Joshua lost the first few rounds following his knockdown but he cleared his head and came back to maybe shade the next few.  What Joshua did in the 11th as well, it's just outstanding.  To show the skill to deliver those sort of punches after the fight he'd been in is remarkable and the stamina (an obvious question mark at the start of the fight) Joshua displayed was exemplary.  

The unknowns about Joshua beforehand were his ability to fight a higher caliber of opponent, his punch resistance, his stamina going into the late rounds and his boxing brain.  He really answered them all - he beat the best opponent of his career clearly, he managed to recover from as heavy a knockdown as you'll see in a heavyweight contest, he recovered in the late rounds and got a stoppage and he showed great nous to stay in the fight and eventually get into a position to deliver the punches.

Klitschko deserves huge credit though, a lot of questions were thereabout the impact of the Fury defeat and if he was going to age overnight.  The intelligence, control and sheer skill of his fight was for the ages.  The way he used his jab and managed to stay out of range for counters using his shoulders, his footwork, the punch picking of his jab, the right hand that put Joshua down.  The heart and poise he showed to deal with the crisis he had in the fifth was also remarkable.  In the end he just couldn't keep Joshua off him though.

For the future, a rematch would be worth having, although fights against Wilder and Fury for Joshua are also hugely attractive.  I haven't seen much of Wilder outside highlight reels but he can clearly punch so it'd be interesting on that count.  Fury beat Klitschko in a very different way to Joshua and would present a huge challenge with his boxing skill and size but one that I think Joshua would be confident he could answer.  Fury has been down against quite limited fighters and if Joshua could unpick the defence then I wouldn't be surprised if he hurt Fury.  You've also got the questions about the anti-doping charges and whether Fury is mentally and physically prepared for a fight like this.  

Top summary

Why can't you stand a platform that promotes boxing? That is strange.

It promotes a false view of boxing. It caters for the uneducated, know very little casual observer of boxing- whose main interest is other sports- football.

It's pretends that the match ups it makes are the very best that can be made when most of its match ups are uncompetitive farces. It is all spin, lies and deception to pretend that the home fighter's chances of being beaten are greater than they are. It exaggerates the strengths of the fall guys who are brought in as opponents to fool your uneducated observer into thinking the boy had a chance.

Sky provides Matchroom with a monopoly on boxing. In any other walk of life monopolies are prohibited- why? Because they allow one company to operate without competition and shaft the consumer- exactly what Sky do.

Matchroom and Sky continually push at the very edges of what they can get away with in terms of serving up utterly dross PPV match ups- again capitalising on the uneducated viewers lack of knowledge about just how uncompetitive the match up is. They use their sky sports news platform as a propoganda tool to exploit the customer whilst pretending that other meaningful match ups don't exist if they haven't been willing to pay to buy the rights for it.

They won't fight anyone whose promoted by any other UK fighter incase its to the benefit of someone who could be a threat. They use their stranglehold over U.K. Boxing to leave others with no alternative but to join them.

Instead of trying to expose boxing to as big a fan base as possible in order to grow the sport- as soon as someone gets a name about themselves you are made to pay to watch them fight. Again the undercard is always made the very lowest standard they can possibly get away with.

When you've paid £16-20 for your pay per view you are then exposed to repeated adverts between rounds which means you often miss fighters quitting and the advice provided by cornermen which is key. Not content to profit twice from your sky sports subscription and then your additional PPV charge- the greedy b*****ds profit even further by selling repeated advertising slots to bet 365.

They panelists offer their most bland, inane analysis going. There is a clear party like that is provided to them and god help anyone who deviates from it. Instead of hearing genuine insight from those who've fought- we generally hear preprepared cliches and key messages devised by Adam smith, Barney Francis or whoeever else. Again the lack of education and knowledge of your average sky subscriber is exploited and encouraged.

The sky and Matchroom link up has also led to Britain becoming one of the most corrupt countries in the world. We used to say you neeeded a KO in Italy or Germany to get a draw- however, the benefit of the doubt is blatantly given to Matchroom fighters- there are multiple examples over recent years.

the Matchroom and stub hub cabal and how they operate to exploit boxing fans who wish to attend fights is utterly immoral. Rampant, cynical, exploitative, manipulative capitalism at its worst and it should and probably will be criminal activity in future. They know that but they have absolutely no qualms about making the most of it whilst they can. They've no moral standards as money is god and they do not give a toss about those whose money they take.

Finally they've also encouraged and attracted and the worst type of

Boxing fan possible- in fact they've reproduced them and made that type of fan 'the norm' at their show. People that have absolutely no respect for the traditions of boxing, coked out their faces, pissed, mocking other fighters, showing no respect to other fighters, attention seeking wannabes that turn up for the main event. The type of folk that couldn't fight sleep but shout "easy easy" when their chosen fighter wins as they sit swilling a pint.

So that's why I can't stand Hearn or sky.

And I didn't even get around to mentioning anything about the character of that utter slimeball and creep- Adam smith.

Jesus f**k I can't even be arsed reading that. Looks like a meltdown on a quick scan though.

Something about the casual fan I'm guessing. Why would it cater for anything else? That's what Boxnation is for.

You sound silly. Have a line and sing along like the rest of us bud.

As for AJ beating fury? Wlad got beat by fury as his lateral movement prevented him setting his feet and finding his jab. As he is so predictable and fights to a script- a very very effective one- he couldn't deal with fury and wouldn't let his hands go.

Fury carries his left far too low- he's been down from punches from a cruiser weight and a guy nobody had heard of. Beating Wlad does not mean that all his previous flaws suddenly disappear.

AJ lives the life- fury doesn't. A huge advantage.

AJ would let his hands go, fury doesn't have amazing power so he could take risks to land his own punches and would stop fury.