Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

The fight was way better than expected but the rest of the card was quite poor I thought. I'm not sure what people's problem was here. Why does someone automatically have to be great and the other be shite? One had to win but that doesn't mean they aren't both great... They both had their moments of class and are deservedly at the top of an exciting Heavyweight division. They'll probably have a rematch anyway and this thread will go to shit again.

Will I be seeing you all back here again next week for Canelo vs Chavez Jr?

My feed went down multiple times, making it unwatchable after about round 4. Got it back just in time for the finish.
WOW, what an upper cut, remeniscant​ of the one Lewis landed on Vitali.
Of course, there are some who still go on about Lewis losing the fight, when stopped.[emoji53]

22 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

Nope, 2 out of 3 judges had it joshua by 2 and 3 points, then that round was worth another 2 point advantage, Klitschko would have had to avoid the 3rd knockdown and then stop joshua in the 12th, not a chance of that after that 11th

would have been nice to see it played out ?  

1 hour ago, Pearbuyerbell said:

would have been nice to see it played out ?  

Do we need brain injuries and the like to satisfy people, Wlad was beaten by the time of the stoppage, Joshua had wrested back control well before the uppercut.

Edited by ayrmad

Just now, ayrmad said:

Do we need brain injuries and the like to satisfy people, Wlad was beaten by the time of the stoppage, Joshua had rested back control well before the uppercut.

I'm not really a boxing fan.   The point of stoppage to me looked similar to when AJ recovered.   

Are you happy it happened at a point that Wlad couldn't win ( even though he was doing fine on points) ? 

Just now, Pearbuyerbell said:

I'm not really a boxing fan.   The point of stoppage to me looked similar to when AJ recovered.   

Are you happy it happened at a point that Wlad couldn't win ( even though he was doing fine on points) ? 

AJ is a young man and Wlad was rattled much later into the fight, how was Wlad doing fine on points?

He was behind on two cards.

1 minute ago, Pearbuyerbell said:

2/3 ?  

Bookies had him as the favourite at the start of round 11.   

As far as I know the bookies don't mark the cards.

Watched the weigh in, Joshua not as ripped, as was expected, where as Wlad did.
I'm not as taken in by the "experts" opinion. I think Wlad is coming in lean & light to stay mobile, quick & look for an early finish.
Joshua seemed to be carrying the excess weight, is patient enough to capitalise on opportunity when it should arise & would be able to draw on reserves if the fight goes long.
To me it looks like the opposite from what is being said, if it goes into the late rounds, it could be that Wlad is the one who could gas out?
Thoughts anyone?

I'll just leave this here.

7 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

A tip of the hat to Vlad though. To still be in that condition and boxing at that level at 41. What a machine.

The thing about Wlad is that hes had to face dubious opposition for years and almost stagnated.  It could be argued that Fury caught him by surprise and then hes fought Joshua who is the best active heavyweight out there.

Wlad could legitimately carry on if he still has the desire to turn up in that shape for a fight.  Personally, I want him to retire as I dont like to see boxers going into their later years but he could fight AJ or Fury again and it would still be a close fight.

Would rather see AJ thrash Wilder then a showdown with a fit Fury though.