Ayr United, What now 2016/17

1 minute ago, rb123! said:

If i'm thinking about the same Dobbie then how the hell would we persuade him to come from the English Championship to the Scottish Championship.

Also i doubt he'd go part time, there will be full time clubs in the english league 1 & 2 who'll be interested in him who i would think he'd choose over us.

Does McCall have any special connection to him which could persuade him to come to us.

McCall was the manager who signed him for us when he was out of shape and going nowhere and turned him around. There is certainly a personal relationship. It was also suggested in the press a month or so back that he was looking to move his young family back to Scotland but he was supposedly talking to Hibs (he was with Lennon last year at Bolton).

I do think he would still get plenty of full time offers though so it would be a hell of a coup to get him to Ayr, McCall or not. I would love him back at Queens. Best player I have ever seen in a Queens shirt. Bar none.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lost 1-0 against East Stirlingshire tonight at Stirling University.

TEAM: Hart; Devlin, Boyle, Meggatt, McCracken; Gilmour, Crawford (McGuffie), Cairney (Wardrope (Ballantyne)) Trialist; Forrest, O'Connell (McCreadie).

Cairney lasted about 10 mins and McCreadie was 'sent off' near the end. I believe the trialist was Josh Todd.

We made a lot of changes in the second-half, shunting players about and that's when the Shire goal came but it wasn't great. Notwithstanding the obvious that we are - by McCall's own admission - at least 3 players short, I don't think our strongest XI has played together once so far, with a mix of first team and U20s being favoured which I find odd. It's clear that McCall is writing off the Betfred Cup and is focused on August 6th and the first league game.

9 hours ago, rb123! said:

If i'm thinking about the same Dobbie then how the hell would we persuade him to come from the English Championship to the Scottish Championship.

Also i doubt he'd go part time, there will be full time clubs in the english league 1 & 2 who'll be interested in him who i would think he'd choose over us.

Does McCall have any special connection to him which could persuade him to come to us.

QOTS.

A bit concerned with some of these pre-season results.

That's us now lost to 2 teams who aren't even in the professional leagues in Scotland and to make things worst we've been playing our strongest teams pretty must.

Concerned about the lack of signings and feel that after McCall has lost out to most of his main targets he is starting to scrape at the bottom of the barrel with Josh Todd who played with Annan last season!!!

Does anyone know if we're going to get this boy Jamie Thomas on loan from Burnley or not.

7 minutes ago, rb123! said:

That's us now lost to 2 teams who aren't even in the professional leagues in Scotland and to make things worst we've been playing our strongest teams pretty must.

Concerned about the lack of signings and feel that after McCall has lost out to most of his main targets he is starting to scrape at the bottom of the barrel with Josh Todd who played with Annan last season!!!

Does anyone know if we're going to get this boy Jamie Thomas on loan from Burnley or not.

Why is signing someone from Annan scraping the barrel, I've witnessed plenty of players of Premier League standard kicking about the Seaside Leagues over the years, McCall himself signed 2 juniors that got game time in the top league.

17 minutes ago, rb123! said:

South Shields are quite clearly a decent side, we also didn't play out strongest side. Most of the side played 24/48 hours previous to the game last night so not exactly an issue, all about fitness. 

For those that know, what appeared to be wrong with Cairney?

20 minutes ago, rb123! said:

It's always good to see fans reacting calmly to the results of glorified training sessions. I wouldn't take any notice at all of pre-season results. They mean absolutely nothing.

TBH the majority of players simply cant be arsed with pre season or the friendlies that take place before the season starts. South Shields are a team in the 9th tier of English football but have signed some very good players due to being bought and money invested. They are expected to get promoted for the next few seasons now. I wouldn't use any pre season match as an indication of how the season is going to pan out. Players aren't going to put any effort whatsoever into a friendly match as there is nothing at stake. Just look at last season, once our play off place was confirmed the players performances dropped because there was no benefit to winning those matches and then once the play offs started the performances picked up.

47 minutes ago, rb123! said:

If Annan weren't owed compensation Todd would be at a full-time club in this league, of that I have no doubt. I reckon he'd be a good acquisition but it sounds like you'll need to fork out £15K for his services.

Willie Collum is the referee on Saturday.

A bit of a difference going to Somerset from just refereeing at the Euros in France.

I expect it will be a career high for him. Cant see him topping San Somerset.

10 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Is it going to be Alan Forrest leading the line against Hamilton then?

Long balls up to Forrest and Guff

Archived