Ayr United, What now 2016/17

Think we need a massive clear out 

Under contact: Fleming, Hart, Boyle, McGuffie, Harkins, Gilmour

Keep:  Devlin(Will leave), Balatoni(Will leave), Docherty(Will leave), McDaid, Meggat, Crawford, Wardrope

Release: Cairney, Farid, Rose, Adams, Murphy

Think I've covered everyone there. Would hope we use the signing policy that got us promoted last year. Hand picking the best league 1 players of this year and giving them bigger wages #somoney. Players like Andy Jackson, Greig Spence etc would be decent. 

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Think that Doc had a couple of offers from bigger teams at the beginning of the season but signed a one year deal. Being out of contract I can see a couple of Championship teams taking a punt on him, to be a squad player at the very least. Could say that for a few of the others as well.

I know he would have had offers at the start of the season as he was an absolute stand out last season. I think he's had an okay season overall but hasn't shown he can excel at this level.

7 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Keep Fleming,Docherty,Meggat and McGuffie, replace the rest with hungry players who've a bit of pace and an urgency to get forward at speed.

Harkins and Forrest among others are the wrong type of players for us, they've had more than enough chances to prove themselves and came up well short, I'm not interested in waiting any longer to see if one can get fit and the other can bulk up.

It beggars belief that McCall can't see player after player, in game after game, slowing every attack down to such an extent that every team gets 8 or 9 behind the ball before we're near the box.

If McCall isn't prepared to play a fast-paced attacking style of football next season he can get to f**k, his brand of football at Somerset has been as bad as any predecessor I can think of when you consider some of those managers had buttons as a budget compared to McCall.

I think McCall, at the start of the season, decided to play a certain brand of football that he thought was necessary in order to survive in the league. Which means have a less attacking flair, try to grind out results by sneaking a goal, and most importantly, not lose games. He was playing with fire a bit because if it had worked, and we survived, then you could have justified it and changed it for next season. But he didn't, and it makes being relegated just look that much worse.

1 minute ago, UpInTheAyr said:

I think McCall, at the start of the season, decided to play a certain brand of football that he thought was necessary in order to survive in the league. Which means have a less attacking flair, try to grind out results by sneaking a goal, and most importantly, not lose games. He was playing with fire a bit because if it had worked, and we survived, then you could have justified it and changed it for next season. But he didn't, and it makes being relegated just look that much worse.

I certainly have no interest in watching Ayr playing like that next season, I'll go and watch a couple of games and if it's insipid shite I'll stay in the house, I think a large chunk of our support will have the same attitude while a sizeable chunk won't even bother giving them a chance.

Personally feel it would have been better if everyone was out of contract, unless we have a Trouten type deal. Fleming and Boyle are decent players at League 1 level but aren't going to improve while McCall can't find a system to suit Harkins.

With the system I imagine the two easiest ways to build a squad would be: First pick a formation and then sign players that fit that or First sign players and then work on a formation that fits what you've got. This season McCall did neither and signed Cairney and Harkins and played a system that didn't really suit them.

With the players I'd like to see McGuffie and Crawford/Forrest (if they stay) nail down an actual position and McCall sticks with it and gives them a regular run rather than what we currently have of them changing position every couple of games. Dropping down a league may even help McGuffie as I feel he struggles currently to be effective for 90 mins. 

Players I'd keep:

Hart (only as No.1), Rose (as a CB), Meggatt (could have other offers), Crawford, Docherty (could have other offers), McGuffie, Forrest 

Undecided:

Fleming, Boyle, Harkins (could do better but under contract so likely will stay) Cairney (keep if Doc goes), McDaid and Moore (bring in for pre-season), Wardrope (needs regular games but hasn't been a sub in the last two games so may already be away)

Released:

Murphy, Adams, GIlmour, El Alagui, McKenzie, Hart (if No.2)

Most likely will leave:

Devlin, Balatoni (would keep both)

3 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Think we need a massive clear out 

Under contact: Fleming, Hart, Boyle, McGuffie, Harkins, Gilmour

Keep:  Devlin(Will leave), Balatoni(Will leave), Docherty(Will leave), McDaid, Meggat, Crawford, Wardrope

Release: Cairney, Farid, Rose, Adams, Murphy

Think I've covered everyone there. Would hope we use the signing policy that got us promoted last year. Hand picking the best league 1 players of this year and giving them bigger wages #somoney. Players like Andy Jackson, Greig Spence etc would be decent. 

Pretty sure Boyle is out of contract, he signed in May 2015 on a two year deal. Forrest still has a year to go and he could probably do a job in League 1, but at championship level I've not been impressed with him, he gets pushed about way too easily and makes too many bad decisions.

It's almost a shame there's a slim chance of staying up next week, if there was nothing to play for then McCall could have played the youngsters, with Hart in goal and a midfield of Wardrope, Rose, McDaid and McGuffie.

1 hour ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Pretty sure Boyle is out of contract, he signed in May 2015 on a two year deal. Forrest still has a year to go and he could probably do a job in League 1, but at championship level I've not been impressed with him, he gets pushed about way too easily and makes too many bad decisions.

It's almost a shame there's a slim chance of staying up next week, if there was nothing to play for then McCall could have played the youngsters, with Hart in goal and a midfield of Wardrope, Rose, McDaid and McGuffie.

I'd just play the youngsters anyway, probably less chance of them folding like an old deckchair IMHO.

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

Rose has had a few shockers, but he has also had a few excellent games. Expected of someone of his age, clearly potential there, especially down a level.

I mostly agree with the rest however would probably keep Crawford as a wide option. Was always going to be like that for Moore after missing so much football, I would give him a chance next season but wouldn't be relying on him!

Seriously, when was Rose ever excellent?  He was signed as a defender but disappeared without trace after the early season humping at QOTS.  I assumed he'd be moved on in January but desperation and a lack of alternatives saw him re-born as a midfielder.  Aside from Dunfermline away where he achieved the dizzying heights of basic competence, he has been utterly abject in the centre of midfield.  The ALBA game against Morton was a particular lowlight, though yesterday was barely any better.

It is exactly this level of self-delusion about the quality of player at the club that has put us back in League 1.  Still can't believe we retained Michael Donald at the start of the season.

I'd like to see a marked improvement in McCall's loan signings. Other teams in the Championship got it spot on, particularly Dumbarton. He obviously has a healthy relationship with Derek McInnes & Neil Lennon and he must have contacts at Rangers.

Neil Scally seems like a nice lad but I think we need a stronger number 2, someone who'll challenge McCall. John Henry seemed a good fit at the time.

1 hour ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Boyle sadly signed a years contract extension at the start of the season. 

If anyone wants a sliver of hope for next Saturday, listen to big Yogi's brutal character assassination of his players after the game yesterday. brilliant stuff.

I don't think you guys have five goals in you but if Rovers go down to 10 men in the first half (Not that unusual) and you can nick one or two in that half it would make for an Interesting second half. Especially given yogis slagging if his players post st mirren...would they have the fight in them?

9 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

I don't think you guys have five goals in you but if Rovers go down to 10 men in the first half (Not that unusual) and you can nick one or two in that half it would make for an Interesting second half. Especially given yogis slagging if his players post st mirren...would they have the fight in them?

Course we don't. But both teams are in such a shambles it wouldn't surprise if there was ridiculous goings on in that game. What these would be is anybody's guess.

Probably 0-0

3 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

They couldn't score more than one with Ryan Stevenson in goals ffs!

We wouldn't have reached 4 with no keeper that night but the Raith players might be even less interested this Saturday than their pretty turgid effort that night, it was like watching 2 turds fighting to get down the pan.

25 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

We win win the league next year at a canter. Harkins will be a stand out at league one.
Now stand back and wait for the bile!

Hahahaha so deluded. 

Archived