Ayr United, What now 2016/17

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Snakebite said:

Aye are a bigger club than Dumbarton. Aye is much bigger than Dumbarton, South Ayrshire is bigger than West Dunbartonshire, Ayrshire more populated than Dunbartonshire etc etc.

Dumbarton's level is Alloa, East Fife etc. They are well punching since 2013.

Dumbarton fans travelling from the nearby metropolis of Campbeltown. :lol: #massive

Ftfy.

I think the reason Dumbarton can get players over Ayr is down to being in this division for a while. Players maybe see us as a more attractive proposition given our recent history. All it maybe takes is to stay up once and you've got the upper hand in signing talks over the newly promoted club(s).

I like the idea of Dumbarton much more than actually seeing them.  

I don’t think they are as good as us (I think they are fairly horrible (pre new signings mind)) but as things are just now that doesn't stand up.  

As much as I don't have a lot of faith in this year's team I wonder whether Clyde or Stirling will be our Bonnyrigg Rose.  

7 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

I don’t think they are as good as us (I think they are fairly horrible (pre new signings mind)) but as things are just now that doesn't stand up.  

As much as I don't have a lot of faith in this year's team I wonder whether Clyde or Stirling will be our Bonnyrigg Rose.  

At the Queens Park game I was wondering the same. Obviously wanted us to win but it might have been a kick up the arse if we hadn't.

7 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Is that code for the utter humiliation or code for a shocking result that will spur us on to a wee run

11 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

So did I for most of the past year tbqh.

For some reason things have changed since the Bonnyrigg game. In fact it's the best thing that has happened to us under Aitken. That night, along with the rest of the season, was brutal. We humped long balls forward, sat back and rarely looked like a team (the 0-3 Alan Forrest game was basically us summed up for the first four months of the season). I was fed up with Aitken and wanted him punted ASAP.

Since then - and helped by bringing in the Prince, Carswell and Vaughan this month - there's been a massive change. QOTS aside we've played our best football since the Ian Murray and Jack Ross days. Andy Stirling is the best example of that. He has gone from a meh winger who physically couldn't hit a cross correctly, to a wonderful player to watch with direct, quick running and a decent final ball. I can't remember the last player we had who was as exciting to watch as he has been in the past few weeks. As well as that we're now playing football that suits guys like Stanton who is showing the sort of form we hoped we'd see from him.

We'll tail off again, and Ayr will put together a decent run, of that I have no doubts. As I said way back at the start of the season, it's the way this league works for clubs like ours. Dry 3 months, excellent month, dry 3 months. In the end relegation will come down to who had the best wee run.

21 minutes ago, bazka6 said:

87 Sons fans at Raith, eighty-seven

Resorting to crowd digs. The final act of desperation/telltale sign that you are a closet Dunfermline Athletic supporter.

Not one club in this league can be happy with the crowds they attract. Not one. In fact the same could probably apply Scotland-wide. I quite often wonder what crowds would be like if the Old Firm had never existed. Sure I've no doubt you'd get Hearts or Aberdeen (or whoever the most successful teams are) fans from Ayr and Dumbarton - your glory hunter types. But maybe the ones who purely support the Old Firm for social status,  to prove that they hate Catholics/Protestants, wouldn't exist - and we'd all have better gates.

We can but dream.

2 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

I rarely ever read match threads when we play Morton or Dunfermline due to the high level of complete pains in the arse that post on them......any chance our club specific one could not be wasted also?

thanks in advance.

Every club has 'pains in the arse' that post in here. Assume you'll never be on reading anything. 

Archived