Ayr United, What now 2016/17

I think that's 4 games without a league goal from open play - fortunately 2 away draws with goals from set pieces but a slightly worrying stat - really need something extra up front especially with the run of games against teams around us coming up

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Hursty said:

I think that's 4 games without a league goal from open play - fortunately 2 away draws with goals from set pieces but a slightly worrying stat - really need something extra up front especially with the run of games against teams around us coming up

Our survival in this league is going to be decided by who we have played/might play up front, it's been fairly obvious for at least 10 games now that we don't have enough up front, the manager and board will rightly be judged when our final position is decided, if we're still in here come next season great, hurrah, pats on the back etc, if we're not the attention will rightly fall on McCall & Co. 

Just having a look at our upcoming fixtures. The next 4 are massive, St Mirren (A), Dumbarton (H), Queen Of The South (A), Dunfermline (H). 4 games we can and should be taking points from. League table will have a clearer picture for us after these 4 games IMO. 

2 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Just having a look at our upcoming fixtures. The next 4 are massive, St Mirren (A), Dumbarton (H), Queen Of The South (A), Dunfermline (H). 4 games we can and should be taking points from. League table will have a clearer picture for us after these 4 games IMO. 

Other results didn't exactly help today with St Mirren and Dunfermline winning, need to start scoring goals and fast

19 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Other results didn't exactly help today with St Mirren and Dunfermline winning, need to start scoring goals and fast

Aye, St Mirren have had a mini-revival which is a bit worrying especially with our present form. 

20 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

As we are playing okay, creating chances and looking fairly solid at the back you've got to expect points from the next 3 games, surely!

:lol:

I'm just surprised that McCall and the board are getting such an easy ride, Reid would be getting absolutely slaughtered by now if he still hadn't dug up a striker.

Are we seriously suggesting that this striker shortage is intentional and by McCall's design?

We enquired about Sutton, he chose money. We enquired about McManus, he chose money. Dobbie would only entertain an offer from his former club. There are probably a handful of other potential deals that we know nothing of, that came to nothing. We're a small part time club offering a comparatively small salary. A professional footballer has a relatively short shelf life, why would they?

Moore's concussion was highly unfortunate. I don't think he really fancies O'Connell, he's brought in Nisbet. What else would we have him do? Bring in the shite that no one else wants?

Beat St Mirren & Dumbarton in the next couple of weeks, which we're more than capable of, and we match our 11 point quarter total from the first quarter.

Agreed, it's not been pretty at times, but it is what it is. I imagine LC & McCall are fully aware of the squad's shortcomings.

1 hour ago, HeathrowAUFC said:

Are we seriously suggesting that this striker shortage is intentional and by McCall's design?

At the start of the season we had Thomas, Moore, O'Connell and Nesbit, along with Forrest, Donald, McGuffie and Harkins as other attacking options, either poor form or injuries have meant that none of the first four have played much (maybe harsh on O'Connell, he has done well when he has actually played) 

If we had signed any of the ones we were interested in, I doubt we would have taken Nesbit on loan meaning we would still have had four strikers at the club.

I don't think Nesbit is ready for this level, I think O'Connell could be given a run. Rather than gamble on Moore being fit for the second half of the season we need to bring in another player to cover but I can't think of any players currently frustrated about not getting a game at their club, well, other than Lee Griffiths and I don't think the offer of a coaching role would be enough to tempt him. 

2 hours ago, HeathrowAUFC said:

Nobody said it's intentional or by design but it's as clear as day that we need a striker and that's the managers job, regardless of how good I think McCall is I'm not in to all this in McCall we trust pish.

We enquired about Sutton, he chose money. We enquired about McManus, he chose money. Dobbie would only entertain an offer from his former club. There are probably a handful of other potential deals that we know nothing of, that came to nothing. We're a small part time club offering a comparatively small salary. A professional footballer has a relatively short shelf life, why would they?

Can we really complain when the wider fanbase stays in the house if we're that easily pleased.

Moore's concussion was highly unfortunate. I don't think he really fancies O'Connell, he's brought in Nisbet. What else would we have him do? Bring in the shite that no one else wants?

No, bring in someone that knows what positions to take up in and around the box and knows how to stick the ball in the net.

Beat St Mirren & Dumbarton in the next couple of weeks, which we're more than capable of, and we match our 11 point quarter total from the first quarter.

We could have said that the last time we were up here, we actually had more points then, I for one am fed up leaving games feeling we've left points on the pitch because our forward line is very poor.

Agreed, it's not been pretty at times, but it is what it is.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

I imagine LC & McCall are fully aware of the squad's shortcomings.

They may well be, we seem to be playing the "we'll cross our fingers and hope it all turns out well" game we've become accustomed to when we're in the Championship, it's not proved successful so far.

2 hours ago, HeathrowAUFC said:

Agreed, it's not been pretty at times, but it is what it is. I imagine LC & McCall are fully aware of the squad's shortcomings.

McCall suggested a few weeks ago that we will not be signing a striker in January off the top of my head. Was an AU Media interview. 

At the moment we can only sign players on loan or if the are without a club. Unless anyone knows of anyone sitting about looking for a club that is Championship quality we are not going to get the experienced striker we need.

I am surprised he hasn't got someone else in on loan, but he has maybe got someone lined up for January. Has anyone else signed a forward on loan in the last few months that we would have taken at Ayr? If there is no one available McCall cant just conjure players up.

4 minutes ago, honestly united said:

At the moment we can only sign players on loan or if the are without a club. Unless anyone knows of anyone sitting about looking for a club that is Championship quality we are not going to get the experienced striker we need.

I am surprised he hasn't got someone else in on loan, but he has maybe got someone lined up for January. Has anyone else signed a forward on loan in the last few months that we would have taken at Ayr? If there is no one available McCall cant just conjure players up.

Every other Ayr manager has been expected to conjure up the players that were required at the time, it's actually quite bewildering how McCall appears to be beyond reproach amongst the Ayr faithful.

Archived