Ayr United, What now 2016/17

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When we look back on this season, it can't be a surprise to any of us that we will finish bottom. We got promoted by the skin of our teeth and retained the bulk of a side that struggled to earn that promotion.

We have an absentee chairman who does not want to be in control of the club but is unwilling to relinquish until a better option comes along. I actually admire that stance, if that is indeed his motivation. He has a track record of standing by managers, probably for far too long in the case of Mark Roberts, so we can assume that McCall will not be sacked. The only way he will leave is if he chooses to go.

As it stands at the moment, unless there is somehow significant change off the park I can't see how we are ever going to progress from being an upper league one/lower championship club.

2 minutes ago, Joma Boo said:

For anyone interested, Lachlan Cameron is going to be on the Somerset Road End Facebook page between 7 and 8 tomorrow night.

Interesting timing for him to be doing that. Liked to have asked something but don't have a Facebook page. Hope the questions aren't all tactics related from armchair managers and instead focused on issues to the running of the club. It's pretty clear McCall is staying.

1 minute ago, UnitedLoon63 said:

Yeah I know, but it's obviously a step up in quality from Ayr(no disrespect).

This is Dundee United we are talking about?

Yeah cause Dundee Utd and Ayr are very similar in size of club

There's not a big enough difference for you to come on an ayr united thread giving it 'united' are in for so and so. That just reeks of 'aye but who's your big team?'

(This might be me being a bit grumpy and pedantic but given our current predicament that's surely understandable.)

9 hours ago, UnitedLoon63 said:

I have no doubt Dundee United will still be in the Championship by the time we get back here.

5 hours ago, Randy Giles said:

Is anything that UnitedLoon's said really that controversial? :blink:

No, my points about his team are equally uncontroversial, they now look like and play like a Championship club, I think their stay could be longer than Hibs'.

13 hours ago, UnitedLoon63 said:

That's how i see it too. 

1 hour ago, UnitedLoon63 said:

And your going to be in the same league as them, where you belong 'mate'.

Could be worse I guess, I could support two teams from the same country. Minter. 

2 hours ago, pogo1910 said:

Just read on The Somerset Road End Facebook page that ex keepr Cammy Duncan has passed away. 1 of the best keepers iv seen in my time attending Somerset.

This is really sad.

Just read on The Somerset Road End Facebook page that ex keepr Cammy Duncan has passed away. 1 of the best keepers iv seen in my time attending Somerset.

Real shame .the first season I started going to the games he was goalie ....god bless

I think the galling thing is that given how bad we have been this season, the turgid tactics, having no forwards, no wingers, pedestrian pace, etc etc is that back in December, 2 games in a row against St Mirren and Dumbarton before Christmas, we through away leads in the last 5 minutes of games we were winning. If we had managed to hold on to either of those we would now be looking at a realistic chance of a win at Raith (given how bad they are as well) to finish 9th, 8th if we had won at St Mirren back and they lost at Hibs.

Granted a lot has gone on since then, and things may have turned out different, but it just shows the small margins we are playing with.

Saying that, it doesn't say much for the standard of rest of the teams in the Championship, that we are still not officially relegated going into the last game. Realistically we were one of the favourites to go down, I would have thought most would have looked at us and Dumbarton as the 2 part time teams as the most likely to go down, and as they had 6 seasons under there belt would probably edge it but we had a good chance of staying up.

I think the next week or so will be really important in shaping hte future, if their is a decision of Full Time, what sort of squad we are likely to have (ie emphasis on hte youngsters as FT and a few experienced PT, who we keep and who gets let go, who goes elsewhere etc

Archived