Ayr United, What now 2016/17

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The negativity that I've experienced this year has been rank-rotten.  Especially on the North Terrace where I stand for games when I get down to Ayr.  

What really hacks me off is that these so-called supporters think that by yelling abuse at the players they are helping the situation.  I'm willing to bet that 95% of these people have never played sport to any great level themselves, and therefore don't appreciate the negative effect they can have on players and the atmosphere in general.  It feels so turgid and negative, and while I appreciate the product on the park is a cause of that atmosphere, it is also a product.  

Players are human, like it or not.  They don't want to have some old codgers shouting and swearing at them, when they have probably never played the game at a great level themselves.  You can bang on about how they should be professional and this and that and the next thing but ultimately they will be effected by negativity.  How many times have people quit jobs or half-assed it cause they feel undervalued or maligned?  Football is their job, so the same ideas apply.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion and we all get frustrated when things go wrong on the park, so do the players.  I am not, for one minute, suggesting that the negative 'support' at Ayr is the only reason that this season hasn't gone well.  McCall has made mistakes, players have under-performed and sometimes we've just had crap luck (xmas eve v. Dumbarton springs to mind) but the abuse from some folk at Somerset is shocking.

We blamed McCall about failing to sign strikers and our inability to score goals in tight games is what ultimately has/will/could relegate Ayr.  McCall will be aware of this.  He is an experienced manager, and is not an idiot at all.   I was speaking to my Uncle's pal at the game yesterday and he said that players like Rory Loy had been offered good money to come to Ayr but chose to go elsewhere (ultimately down to full v. part-time football apparently) but I also think that the effect supporters have had has been an issue for us - not only this season but in ones gone by.  Why would a player choose to come and work somewhere with such a negative and poisonous atmosphere?  Ayr supporters have broken players before (Chris Aitken springs to mind) and the arguments that players have had with fans this season will not have gone unnoticed.  Footballers from different clubs all chat, especially in the days of social media, and if they get an offer they may get in touch with someone they know who has played at Ayr and ask what it's like and be told that the supporters are always on your back.  Why would anyone want to come and experience that?  

All clubs have negative supporters and doom-merchants - it's part of the game.  But sometimes I feel that folk only turn up to watch Ayr cause they like a moan.

I'm not deluded.  We are as good as relegated and it sucks.  Massive mistakes were made this year, it's undeniable.  Players have under-performed and at times looked like they can't be arsed at times.  But why not give them something they want to work for?  Why not give them something to feel a part of?  To feel pride in?  Sometimes they need to be picked up, they are human after all.  The effect that a crowd can have on a sportsman is undeniable - it can give them a lift to find that extra few percent or yard of pace sometimes.  

My head says it won't happen, we've been toothless in front of goal all season, but my heart says go and support the team - sing, shout, clap whatever.  If we go for it, and come up short then so be it - that's football and at least I can say I stuck with my team to the bitter end.  

Only a matter of time before someone blamed the fans.

The vast majority of people just stand and chat with their mates because the games are so boring. A few numbnuts lose the plot and shout shit now and again, but I can tell you for a fact there are a lot worse at many other clubs.

Somerset is more like a morgue than a cauldron of venom. The reality is the manager is a bit shit and so are most of the players. 

The vast majority of people just stand and chat with their mates because the games are so boring. A few numbnuts lose the plot and shout shit now and again, but I can tell you for a fact there are a lot worse at many other clubs.
Somerset is more like a morgue than a cauldron of venom. The reality is the manager is a bit shit and so are most of the players. 

Exactly this. It really isn't that bad at all. There was a distinct lack of seethe yesterday.

I'm not saying that it's the only reason but it's a factor.

What happens at other clubs is immaterial anyway, that doesn't affect what happens at Somerset.

48 minutes ago, super_carson said:

The negativity that I've experienced this year has been rank-rotten.  Especially on the North Terrace where I stand for games when I get down to Ayr.  

What really hacks me off is that these so-called supporters think that by yelling abuse at the players they are helping the situation.  I'm willing to bet that 95% of these people have never played sport to any great level themselves, and therefore don't appreciate the negative effect they can have on players and the atmosphere in general.  It feels so turgid and negative, and while I appreciate the product on the park is a cause of that atmosphere, it is also a product.  

Players are human, like it or not.  They don't want to have some old codgers shouting and swearing at them, when they have probably never played the game at a great level themselves.  You can bang on about how they should be professional and this and that and the next thing but ultimately they will be effected by negativity.  How many times have people quit jobs or half-assed it cause they feel undervalued or maligned?  Football is their job, so the same ideas apply.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion and we all get frustrated when things go wrong on the park, so do the players.  I am not, for one minute, suggesting that the negative 'support' at Ayr is the only reason that this season hasn't gone well.  McCall has made mistakes, players have under-performed and sometimes we've just had crap luck (xmas eve v. Dumbarton springs to mind) but the abuse from some folk at Somerset is shocking.

We blamed McCall about failing to sign strikers and our inability to score goals in tight games is what ultimately has/will/could relegate Ayr.  McCall will be aware of this.  He is an experienced manager, and is not an idiot at all.   I was speaking to my Uncle's pal at the game yesterday and he said that players like Rory Loy had been offered good money to come to Ayr but chose to go elsewhere (ultimately down to full v. part-time football apparently) but I also think that the effect supporters have had has been an issue for us - not only this season but in ones gone by.  Why would a player choose to come and work somewhere with such a negative and poisonous atmosphere?  Ayr supporters have broken players before (Chris Aitken springs to mind) and the arguments that players have had with fans this season will not have gone unnoticed.  Footballers from different clubs all chat, especially in the days of social media, and if they get an offer they may get in touch with someone they know who has played at Ayr and ask what it's like and be told that the supporters are always on your back.  Why would anyone want to come and experience that?  

All clubs have negative supporters and doom-merchants - it's part of the game.  But sometimes I feel that folk only turn up to watch Ayr cause they like a moan.

I'm not deluded.  We are as good as relegated and it sucks.  Massive mistakes were made this year, it's undeniable.  Players have under-performed and at times looked like they can't be arsed at times.  But why not give them something they want to work for?  Why not give them something to feel a part of?  To feel pride in?  Sometimes they need to be picked up, they are human after all.  The effect that a crowd can have on a sportsman is undeniable - it can give them a lift to find that extra few percent or yard of pace sometimes.  

My head says it won't happen, we've been toothless in front of goal all season, but my heart says go and support the team - sing, shout, clap whatever.  If we go for it, and come up short then so be it - that's football and at least I can say I stuck with my team to the bitter end.  

You're correct, it was terrible luck that Dumbarton were reduced to 10 men.

I'd far rather say that my team stuck with me to the bitter end, I'll not be uttering any such nonsense this season.

59 minutes ago, super_carson said:

Your first sentence complains about the negativity of others then further on you say that massive mistakes were made and players have underperformed. You have contradicted yourself. It is disrespectful of you to refer to Ayr fans as old codgers. I started going to Somerset during the Peter Price era and I take gross exception to your ageist remark. The negative atmosphere you refer to has its origin on the pitch. I want to say so much more but I am seething. Just one more point though. You used the phrase "when I get down to Ayr". How often do you "get down to Ayr"? In fact don't bother answering. Your post hits out at the people who suffer most - the fans. 

I think his main point is pretty much bang on. There's a really negative atmosphere more often than not at Somerset, and players get an awful lot of stick.

He's not being ageist either, stop being so offended. And you seem to suggest that because he doesn't make every game his point is less valid?

I think his main point is pretty much bang on. There's a really negative atmosphere more often than not at Somerset, and players get an awful lot of stick.

He's not being ageist either, stop being so offended. And you seem to suggest that because he doesn't make every game his point is less valid?

Absolute nonsense. The crowd only reacts to what they see on the pitch. Ayr fans are no worse than any other fans.

Absolute nonsense. The crowd only reacts to what they see on the pitch. Ayr fans are no worse than any other fans.

It's very rarely supportive. Whether or not it's worse than other clubs? Based on very little I think we probably are. But it's pretty much impossible to tell.

At home in the league this season, I think I have witnessed five acceptable performances, out of eighteen. And this is including the Dundee United games where we got one point. No wonder there's a bit of negativity but it's only a few where I stand and I don't think it's remotely as bad as it used to be.

At home in the league this season, I think I have witnessed five acceptable performances, out of eighteen. And this is including the Dundee United games where we got one point. No wonder there's a bit of negativity but it's only a few where I stand and I don't think it's remotely as bad as it used to be.

I'm certainly not talking about this season. We've had far, far bigger problems - but for me over the years there's been an unhealthy negativity towards our own players.

23 minutes ago, Caledonian said:

Your first sentence complains about the negativity of others then further on you say that massive mistakes were made and players have underperformed. You have contradicted yourself. It is disrespectful of you to refer to Ayr fans as old codgers. I started going to Somerset during the Peter Price era and I take gross exception to your ageist remark. The negative atmosphere you refer to has its origin on the pitch. I want to say so much more but I am seething. Just one more point though. You used the phrase "when I get down to Ayr". How often do you "get down to Ayr"? In fact don't bother answering. Your post hits out at the people who suffer most - the fans. 

The first time anyone on p&b has ever confirned they were seething? 

1 hour ago, super_carson said:

This is mostly bang on.  To the left of the Somerset Road end is pure poison at most mistakes whether winning or not.  The terrace is a mix.  I do think @Caledonian has a bit of a point too but most of the guys losing their heads at players, referees & assistants are older guys but its not exclusive to them. 

I'm born and raised in Edinburgh and play rugby on a Saturday which limits when I can go. But I've gone to every single game when I have a free weekend this season and in seasons gone by.

I'm critical of a few that I've observed during the last few years of being at Somerset. I have also noticed they are older, generally. I'll happily apologise if anyone is genuinely offended by my 'remark' but it was somewhat tongue in cheek and perhaps any exception is more because I disagree with your point of view.

I wouldn't say I'm contradicting myself, either. It was an attempt to be somewhat balanced in my assessment of the failings of this season and an observation that the terraces and pitch are symbiotic.

Let me be clear, angry fans are not the reason this season has gone to shit but it has its effects. It's easy to support a team when they're winning and even easier to be negative. I just don't think it helps.

But hey, you're entitled to your opinion as I am mine. I'll happily respect yours, doesn't mean I have to like it and vice-versa.

I think the negativity of fans at Somerset would have more credence if our away form was significantly better, it wasn't, we've been shite home and away, in general it is the job of the team to get the fans going not the other way about.

5 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

I think the negativity of fans at Somerset would have more credence if our away form was significantly better, it wasn't, we've been shite home and away, in general it is the job of the team to get the fans going not the other way about.

We were unbeaten away from home for an age man are you genuinely mental or just when you post on here?

Just now, young buck said:

We were unbeaten away from home for an age man are you genuinely mental or just when you post on here?

We were rank rotten both home and away, that's the problem, too many including the manager accept mediocrity too easily.

Archived