Ayr United, What now 2016/17

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wins for Ayr and Raith on Saturday would probably be the best combination. Leaves us needing to win against a team with nothing to play for on the final day. Couple of wee Dumbarton losses would also go down well.

Wins for Ayr and Raith on Saturday would probably be the best combination. Leaves us needing to win against a team with nothing to play for on the final day. Couple of wee Dumbarton losses would also go down well.

I love an optimist.

50 minutes ago, Iain said:

Was thinking of that myself. There's also the added bonus that even a defeat by Raith, who will surely have the sun loungers out, we could still survive if St.Mirren lost at Easter Road.

41 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Its sort of all in our own hands.

Its very unlikely that

a) taking 6 points would see us go automatically down

b) that we will take 6 points

With our dire home record and style of play more worryingly our season is looking like it rests in Neil Lennons hands. 

If we do go down, we've only got ourselves to blame.

We chose to remain part time this season - would we have gained an extra say 6 points this season being full time? Just look at our last 2 matches. We dominated the last 10 minutes without scoring, would a fitter/sharper team have nicked a goal?

Dumbarton, Raith & St Mirren have all beaten Morton in recent weeks, while we could only manage a draw.

Although it's all still to play for, 4 points in the next 2 games should see us 9th and I'd fancy our chances in the playoffs.

I don't disagree that being Full Time probably would have made a difference over the course of the season, however our inability to actually strike the ball towards goal or cross the ball into the penalty area is what's really screwed us and that has absolutely nothing to do with our part time status.

It's nothing short of criminal if we don't give it a real go in our last 2 games as the way we sat off an absolutely horrific Dundee Utd side really infuriated me as they really were there for the taking. I don't want this season to be a case of what might have been and hats off to the likes of Dumbarton who have actually stood up and been counted when it's mattered.

We can only hope that McCall and the players still have some desire to actually keep us in this league.................

It's amazing that for all our struggles we still have a chance of saving ourselves.. I think the worst case scenario is Raith beating St Mirren although it all depends on us taking something from Hibs and assumes that us getting 3 points from Hibs is hope bordering on delusion.

We definitely don't want to be relying on St Mirren losing at Hibs - would be a real sickener if we beat Raith but still went down.   In most scenarios, we are going to have to beat Raith due to our honking goal difference.

First things first though, we need to get at least a point from Hibs on Saturday.  Confident?

21 minutes ago, Mgc1910 said:

I think the worst case scenario is Raith beating St Mirren

Surely that's exactly what you want?  A Raith win puts them safe and has them going into the last game against you with hee-haw to play for and keeps St Mirren within two points of you, meaning you could still stay up on the last day even if you don't beat Hibs on Saturday.

Surely that's exactly what you want?  A Raith win puts them safe and has them going into the last game against you with hee-haw to play for and keeps St Mirren within two points of you, meaning you could still stay up on the last day even if you don't beat Hibs on Saturday.

But then we could win on the last day and still go down.

I want a saints win. Those c***s will likely go and beat hibs. That just means we need a point on Saturday and then win or bust at raith.

3 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

But then we could win on the last day and still go down.

I want a saints win. Those c***s will likely go and beat hibs. That just means we need a point on Saturday and then win or bust at raith.

Aye, fair enough. There's no easy way out here for anyone.

6 hours ago, itzdrk said:

Its sort of all in our own hands.

Its very unlikely that

a) taking 6 points would see us go automatically down

b) that we will take 6 points

I know B is being very optimistic but we can't go down automatically if we take 6 points.

I think it depends on our result on saturday as to who we want to win between St Murn and Raith.

If we lose, a Raith win means we aren't relegated and at least have something to play for on the last day, although even if we beat Raith we are hoping Hibs do us a favour against St Mirren (unless we manage to score 15 more than St Mirren / have a 15 better GD - Im not expecting us to manage 15 shots over the 2 games so unlikely).

If we draw, a St Mirren win means we go to Starks knowing a win puts us 9.

If we beat Hibs (stop laughing) an 11-0 St Mirren win means we just need to draw at Starks, otherwise a win would see us safe but Raith would also need a win to stay up, otherwise they are down automatically. Conversley if Raith win, they are then safe of 10th and maybe 9th depending on Dumbarton, and may not be as hard a match. 

Archived