Ayr United, What now 2016/17

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we do go full time next season, I don't think it'll be a terrible thing if we do get relegated this year.

It'll give us a chance to build a team down there & keep some continuity , as opposed to drastically changing our squad every season.

Also gives us a chance to iron out any immediate issues caused by going full time, instead of jumping in at the deep end in the championship.

14 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Christ I don't know if I could go through that again.

I went through one of them, beach balls an' all.

2 hours ago, DanielB said:

If we do go full time next season, I don't think it'll be a terrible thing if we do get relegated this year.

It'll give us a chance to build a team down there & keep some continuity , as opposed to drastically changing our squad every season.

Also gives us a chance to iron out any immediate issues caused by going full time, instead of jumping in at the deep end in the championship.

I've never understood the logic of this argument.  In the past, relegation has usually led to the first team being hollowed out.  Reid managed to re-build incredibly well after we got relegated the first time, but the 2nd time it put us into a tailspin under Roberts that nearly put us in league 2.  Relegation under Stainrod had the same effect.  And don't mention the impact of relegation from the premier league in the late 70s.

Staying up means we would have a better chance of retaining the likes of Meggatt, Docherty and even Moore who will surely be released by Motherwell.  If we lose guys like that on top of the inevitable loss of Balatoni and Devlin, we'll be looking at needing to sign 9/10 players for the start of next season which is a huge ask for any manager.  

18 minutes ago, Scosha said:

Is Meggatt out of contract at the end of the season? Wouldn't mind getting him in since it looks like we'll be selling Tam O'Ware.

Feel free to take him. 

33 minutes ago, Scosha said:

Is Meggatt out of contract at the end of the season? Wouldn't mind getting him in since it looks like we'll be selling Tam O'Ware.

I'd hope we are looking at better than meggatt. He hasn't impressed at all when he's played against us.

4 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

You a bit grumpy today itzdrk? Or do you not think he's done a good job?

Some hangover going on here.  I think he has been rubbish for the most part.  

2 minutes ago, Scosha said:

Always thought he's looked fairly solid. 

Prior to see him this season I thought he was a good player and would have been happy if we signed him but as I said I thought he ha seen poor against us. Perhaps he's just been poor in the games I've seen.

Strengths are definitely all in his attacking play, he's excellent at overlapping the right midfielder and his pace is tremendous. A prime example is when he set up pur winner at Easter Road in September. One thing I will say is that if the opponent's left back has the sense to step off Devlin, therefore limiting any space behind to run into, his game can go to pieces.

In terms of weaknesses, his positioning at times can be questionable, although I don't think his team-mates in midfield have helped this season because quite often, the person who should be covering for him when he pushes forward just doesn't bother.

1 hour ago, jamle1874 said:

Heard a rumour that we are in for Nicky Devlin so i ask, Strengths? Weaknesses and will he be able to handle the step up?  

The proper right mid in front of him and the correct right-sided centre half would allow Devlin to flourish at that level, play headless chickens and/or lazy b*****ds there and he'll be exposed big style, his pace is good enough for any level in Scotland IMHO.

5 hours ago, jamle1874 said:

Heard a rumour that we are in for Nicky Devlin so i ask, Strengths? Weaknesses and will he be able to handle the step up?  

I think he needs a spell at a smaller full time club first

Archived