Ayr United, What now 2016/17

If there were players out there available on loan, we could have brought them in by now but I think we need someone proven at the moment.

We currently have Andy O'Connell who I think has the makings of a being capable player at this level but McCall clearly doesn't rate him judging by the game time he has had.

Moore, who we can't pin our hopes on because he seems to be the victim of freak injuries every couple of months and McKenzie who is out at Cumnock on loan and looks to be hot and cold, although at his age it has to be expected. 

Forrest and Harkins need to be playing in the correct positions. 

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If there were players out there available on loan, we could have brought them in by now but I think we need someone proven at the moment.
We currently have Andy O'Connell who I think has the makings of a being capable player at this level but McCall clearly doesn't rate him judging by the game time he has had.
Moore, who we can't pin our hopes on because he seems to be the victim of freak injuries every couple of months and McKenzie who is out at Cumnock on loan and looks to be hot and cold, although at his age it has to be expected. 
Forrest and Harkins need to be playing in the correct positions. 

You say that about Forrest but he's been playing with us for awhile now and I'm still not sure what his position is.
Started off as a winger but then McCall said he's not a winger and is a forward. Played as a striker this season but I don't think he's physically capable of playing there as he gets pushed off the ball too easily.
Why did we let Ryan Nisbet go ?? I always thought he looked a better player than McKenzie.

O'Connell just appears too slow and cumbersome for my liking. I do like Forrest when he's got a bit of support and played in his correct position and Harkins is just pure class at this level, however we definitely need a number 9 who's capable of reading the play and then getting into a position to finish. Will Moore ever be back ? and if so will we all give him a chance to find his feet or will we be expecting an instant hat trick or two ?? We also shouldn't forget that the very same Craig Moore did have poor games for us as we struggled quite often in the league below, so I do fear that we're setting him up for a fall if and when he should ever return.

Against Dumbrton, 2-3 times, O'Connell flicked the ball on or looked to play a pass to Nesbit, who on all occasions was standing static 5 feet behind him. With someone like McGuffie or even Forrest making runs beyond him he doesn't need to be fast as long as he can play them in. 

He has linked well with Harkins 2-3 times to set up goals so far but I'd like to see him play up front with someone quicker than Harkins.

While I agree that the lack of a striker is worrying, and that Craig Moore is unlikely to be the answer to our prayers, we have to give McCall the benefit of the doubt and assume he will be able to sign someone who can enhance the team. I don't think any of us imagined we could get players of the quality of Balatoni and Harkins joining our part time squad, so it shows he is capable of making 'big' signings.

That said, the team appears to be stagnating and we could really use a boost like a Stevo type signing could give us. No idea who that would be though!

Still think we are capable of staying up quite comfortably but with the momentum that Dumbarton, Dunfermline and to a degree St Mirren have built up, we need to go on another good run asap.

2 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

Against Dumbrton, 2-3 times, O'Connell flicked the ball on or looked to play a pass to Nesbit, who on all occasions was standing static 5 feet behind him. With someone like McGuffie or even Forrest making runs beyond him he doesn't need to be fast as long as he can play them in. 

He has linked well with Harkins 2-3 times to set up goals so far but I'd like to see him play up front with someone quicker than Harkins.

Think O'Connell is at a similar level to Boyle in terms of would be very good for the league below but struggles at championship level. Against the poorer teams you might get a performance out of them but not against top of the league. 

Archived