Ayr United, What now 2016/17

Carrying this thread from league one forum. Two clever loan signings, be it premier league reserve or English Premiership u21, one midfield and one striker, keep Moore and Preston (raw pace and goalscorer) and a little of bit of luck this part time club may stay in this full time league

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully get some friendly news soon. Most players are off on holiday the now so dont expect any signing news for a week or so.

With Stevo giving it the big shot on Sunday say he wants a new contract, he should be given pre-season to see how much he really wants it. No denying he has the ability and if can get show find it again could be a massive player next season for us

We need to sign a striker who has the ability to score 15/20 goals in this league along with a 10/15 support striker. Would like to see Moore and Moffat come back, Preston will probably stay down south. Would need a decent back up striker before we hit the academy

Midfield need would like a seasoned championship cm come in and a couple of wingers. With doc Gilmour and Crawford in the middle a 4th midfielder who is Experianced at this level could hopefully guide them

Need a CB to play alongside either graham/Murphy, wouldn't be shocked if Murphy drops down to play closer to home. And one more CB as wellBoyle and devlin should be good enough but if were getting a full back hopefully improve than a back up. Fleming should do a job s well

So as far as I can see, this is what we have signed for next year:

Goalkeepers

Greg Fleming

Defenders

Paddy Boyle

Midfielders

Robbie Crawford

Mick Wardope

Craig McGuffie (u20)

Brian Gilmour

Jamie Adams

Paul Cairney

Michael Donald

Ross Docherty

Strikers

Alan Forrest

Lot of work to be done.

Goalkeeper

Fleming is signed up and there are rumours of him being offered an extra year on top of that. Think we need to sign an experienced keeper as a back up instead of pulling one from the reserves. No idea of who that could be but they need to be prepared to spend most of the season on the bench.

Defense

Boyle is signed so that's a bonus. I reckon Devlin will sign up as well unless a championship team offers him full time football with a higher salary. Can't see that happening since he hasn't hit the form this season that got him the POTY award last year. Would keep both Graham and Murphy as the provide experience but we still need two younger centre halfs with a bit of pace as I wouldn't play the two veterans at the same time.

Midfield

We are a bit overloaded with central midfielders and lack Championship attacking midfielders and wingers. Would keep Doc, Adams and Wardrope. Unsure whether Crawford can make the jump from L1 to Championship. Extremely concerned about the possibility of Donald returning next year. I think McCall will need to sign a pacey winger with a bit of skill that can actually beat a defender. Andy Stirling comes to mind but apparently Dumbarton have snatched him up.

Forwards

Would take Moore back as I think he will get 15-20 goals in this division if he plays every week. As I said in another thread the return of the Moff may depend on whether Preston signs up. I don't know what he was making at Blackburn but it was probably more than we were putting towards it. Another back up striker is required that can make an impact from the bench if needed. Could Longworth play Championship football ?? IMO this is Forrest's big year, if he is going to do something do it this year because he probably won't get a better chance to showcase his ability. Of course McCall has to play him more often for this to happen but I have high hopes for him.

In short we need

Experienced goalkeeper

A quick, youngish centre half

A quality winger

A midfielder to partner Doc

2 first team strikers

A back up impact striker

Lot of work to be done.

Goalkeeper

Fleming is signed up and there are rumours of him being offered an extra year on top of that. Think we need to sign an experienced keeper as a back up instead of pulling one from the reserves. No idea of who that could be but they need to be prepared to spend most of the season on the bench.

Defense

Boyle is signed so that's a bonus. I reckon Devlin will sign up as well unless a championship team offers him full time football with a higher salary. Can't see that happening since he hasn't hit the form this season that got him the POTY award last year. Would keep both Graham and Murphy as the provide experience but we still need two younger centre halfs with a bit of pace as I wouldn't play the two veterans at the same time.

Midfield

We are a bit overloaded with central midfielders and lack Championship attacking midfielders and wingers. Would keep Doc, Adams and Wardrope. Unsure whether Crawford can make the jump from L1 to Championship. Extremely concerned about the possibility of Donald returning next year. I think McCall will need to sign a pacey winger with a bit of skill that can actually beat a defender. Andy Stirling comes to mind but apparently Dumbarton have snatched him up.

Forwards

Would take Moore back as I think he will get 15-20 goals in this division if he plays every week. As I said in another thread the return of the Moff may depend on whether Preston signs up. I don't know what he was making at Blackburn but it was probably more than we were putting towards it. Another back up striker is required that can make an impact from the bench if needed. Could Longworth play Championship football ?? IMO this is Forrest's big year, if he is going to do something do it this year because he probably won't get a better chance to showcase his ability. Of course McCall has to play him more often for this to happen but I have high hopes for him.

In short we need

Experienced goalkeeper

A quick, youngish centre half

A quality winger

A midfielder to partner Doc

2 first team strikers

A back up impact striker

Is Fleming definitely signed up?  I was sure he was just a 1 year contract when signed.  Crawford and Donald will be more than adequate squad cover, that will all they will really be along with Wardrope and McGuffie will be in and out the 20s and first team.

Is Fleming definitely signed up? I was sure he was just a 1 year contract when signed. Crawford and Donald will be more than adequate squad cover, that will all they will really be along with Wardrope and McGuffie will be in and out the 20s and first team.

I'm sure he signed a 2 year deal at the start of the season.

Fleming was only on a 1 year deal but I'm pretty sure he will sign up again if he's offered a deal.

Trouten and Boyle were the only ones to sign two year deals in the summer.

I was under the impression that motherwell are cutting costs not sure they would resign Moore if he wasn't going to be playing a we might not get him back

Due to compensation, if they don't offer him a contract they would lose him for free.

Archived