Stranraer FC 2016/17

That's Craig Thomson returned to us. I've very little hope for him, but how did he get on here?

Purely from the fact I struggled to find mentions of him on match threads, I assume not that well?

Disappointed to lose Craig Thomson, although his form was patchy. At times he was the best in our team; at other times anonymous. I would have kept him though.

Doubt he's good enough for top flight though.

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have we backed ourselves into a corner by backing Reid? I think it's noble of the club to have stood by him, but it really doesn't feel like we're about to turn a corner. From what I'm seeing on here, it sounds like we were dire today. Doesn't surprise me: I thought we were fairly shoddy at Hampden the other week, despite the win.

I thought at the start of the season that, with additions like Aggy and Franko, we'd build on last year and make a challenge for promotion. Instead, Reid has made us into total bottom feeders. Does anyone who has been regularly this season think we can go on a late run like last time out?

15 hours ago, Argyll Blue said:

Have we backed ourselves into a corner by backing Reid? I think it's noble of the club to have stood by him, but it really doesn't feel like we're about to turn a corner. From what I'm seeing on here, it sounds like we were dire today. Doesn't surprise me: I thought we were fairly shoddy at Hampden the other week, despite the win.

I thought at the start of the season that, with additions like Aggy and Franko, we'd build on last year and make a challenge for promotion. Instead, Reid has made us into total bottom feeders. Does anyone who has been regularly this season think we can go on a late run like last time out?

No , I'm fed up saying the same thing but we have/had decent ,experienced players who had proved themselves at this level , Reid is gradually getting rid of too many decent players and replacing them with poorer quality loan players, team spirit has gone , confidence has gone , support lost all belief in the team , having said all this I still believed we would comfortably take full points v stenny and create a gap between us and bottom spot , yet it's obvious that our performances have been topped by what we produced yesterday and not in a good way. I just can't understand a manager that watches these players and then makes the decision to get rid and bring in guys that are no better and then if that's not bad enough play them out of position.

yesterday we had Pettigrew,Whittaker, Neill and Wilson( played one game before ) all new to the team , Pettigrew a decent defender played in midfield so these poor guys had no chance and just another huge knock for what little confidence was left in the team . I think the manager is a little arrogant and so full of himself that he can't see where he has gone wrong . If the board don't act now then they too are failing the club as everyone can see the state we are in and our only chance is for a new man to get a chance whilst he can still bring in his own players . 

I see time is running out and the gates of Division 2 opening up.....Every league fixture now becomes a cup final...We gotta believe the team can fight & survive in this division...Manager may not though

Most Stranraer fans finished last season thinking Brian Reid was suddenly a good manager. Lost count of the number of times I had heard folk referring to how we were "only penalty kicks away from promotion and how that was closer than Aitken had managed." That's never been an argument that made a lot of sense to me in all honesty. 

2014/15 under Aitken we were challenging at the top for most of the season, we finished two points behind Morton, won more than twice as many games as we lost and Stranraer fans were treated to some of the best games at Stair Park in years. We were a right good team for this level and the team spirit was clearly very good. Okay we didn't make the play off final after narrowly missing out on the title but we punched above our weight all year long.

2016/16 under Reid we struggled badly until Christmas but a dramatic improvement saw us sneak into 4th place. We won the same number of games as we lost and had a goal difference of MINUS 6 - which goes to show why the play off system just ain't fair. No team that loses more goals than they concede is worthy of promotion. First half of the season team morale was low but things picked up a lot after an alleged meeting which was instigated by the players and we sneaked into 4th place. 

Which brings me to my point. I was prepared to give Reid the benefit of the doubt after the improved form in the second half of last season - especially given I maybe jumped the gun a bit last year by suggesting he was sacked. I do think SOME of the performances of this year haven't been as bad as the results and we ain't that far off turning the corner. However yesterday really doesn't sound too encouraging and maybe last week was the exception to the rule. Also perhaps the 2/3/ months when we were good last season is the break from the norm and what we witnessed prior to Christmas last season and this season is more in line with what you get with Reid in charge. No doubt the feel good factor around the club from Aitken's days has evaporated.

Hate to say it but am back to wondering if he needs to go. Too many loan signings, inability to identify the right players and poor man management of those he does sign being my main concerns. His willingness to try out youngsters like Turner and the performances like we produced against Alloa (where we didn't look like a team who lacking desire) still make we wonder if he can still steer us to mid table security. Time is starting to run out though!        

Agree with you Tucker but your being too kind to say that Reid might still turn things around, he has made mistake after mistake and there is no question in my mind that the players are fed up with his lack of knowledge in management , yesterday we had 4 players that are new to the team , he subbed Turner ?? He played Pettigrew as a wide midfielder and started with Nuttal in the team, now there are 4 blatant mistakes straight away , and then he blames the players , 

we were playing the worst team in the league and we were totally outplayed, out fought and luck not to lose by a bigger margin, zero shots on target against the now second worst in the league. The concern must be the real possibility that we could drop down a league and every day that our club have Reid in charge is a step closer to that nightmare.

we have no more time to spare , Reid has taken us to rock bottom , 5 points away from safety and teams above us have 1 and 2 games in hand ,NOW is the time for change.

18 minutes ago, scott666 said:

http://stranraerfc.org/index.php/latest-news/666-brian-reid-leaves-club

After a meeting and discussion this evening, Stranraer FC can announce that manager Brian Reid has left the club by mutual consent.

Why is there a 666 in the url? Why is there a 666 in your username? What's going on here?

Always going to be hard for Stranraer to recover from losing Cairney, Pettigrew and Stirling. 3 big players that got Stranraer to the final against ourselves. We were definitely second best over the two games and had not been for the heroics of Greg Fleming you might have been in our position right now.

Thought Reid did a good job in turning your season round last season and was unlucky to fall at the final hurdle

13 minutes ago, somerset_lad00 said:

Always going to be hard for Stranraer to recover from losing Cairney, Pettigrew and Stirling. 3 big players that got Stranraer to the final against ourselves. We were definitely second best over the two games and had not been for the heroics of Greg Fleming you might have been in our position right now.

Thought Reid did a good job in turning your season round last season and was unlucky to fall at the final hurdle

Yes last season was acceptable and I thank him for his efforts but this season has been a disaster and our performances got poorer and poorer , brave decision by the board but the correct one in most fans minds. We now need a reaction from the players.

Yes last season was acceptable and I thank him for his efforts but this season has been a disaster and our performances got poorer and poorer , brave decision by the board but the correct one in most fans minds. We now need a reaction from the players.

Who's a realistic appointment for Stranraer given the situation their in ??

Archived