Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

My favourite memory of Calum Elliot's time at Fir Park was his complaint that he had to leave his house at 9am to get to training, and sometimes he wouldn't get back home until 5pm!!  Can you imagine what he went through?

Did we not sign Brian McLean initially on loan from Rangers?  Not the greatest example ever used, but he did OK during his time with us I thought.

My favourite memory of Calum Elliot's time at Fir Park was his complaint that he had to leave his house at 9am to get to training, and sometimes he wouldn't get back home until 5pm!!  Can you imagine what he went through?

Did we not sign Brian McLean initially on loan from Rangers?  Not the greatest example ever used, but he did OK during his time with us I thought.

Aye, forgot about him. Not the best player in the World but 'done a job'

Agree with the consensus here - we shouldn't be developing Celtic's U20's when we have a decent (finished 6 oot of 17 teams in the development league and won the cup) young team ourselves. If we've got a decent, experienced spine to the first team, we simply have to give our young boys game time or we may as well throw our business plan out...

I wouldn't read too much into it.

Catching up on my lunch and so far today I've seen us linked in the media to the Celtic boy, Miles Storey and some Conference striker from Boston Utd.

Storey's already signed for somebody else and I'd happily bet the other two aren't at Fir Park next season either.

We're usually pretty good at keeping these things close to our chest so I'm always sceptical when our 'potential' signings are leaked to the media.

Catching up on my lunch and so far today I've seen us linked in the media to the Celtic boy, Miles Storey and some Conference striker from Boston Utd.

Storey's already signed for somebody else and I'd happily bet the other two aren't at Fir Park next season either.

We're usually pretty good at keeping these things close to our chest so I'm always sceptical when our 'potential' signings are leaked to the media.

Do tell!  I love silly season.

Take it the Conference striker is Dayle Southwell who has also been 'targeted' by St Johnstone, Hibs & Hearts.

Given we've got 9 first team contract offers out to players and 5 u20s then unless we've got anyone on a PCA I'd have thought we'd be holding off on others until we've had at least some answers back.

For what it's worth the whole Celtic loanee route worked quite well for County with Jackson Irvine so I'd have thought they'd be a more realistic option than us.

Weren't you all rather excited about Gomis? What happened?

To an extent, yes.  I thought he'd be a good player for us, considering what he'd done in Scottish Football previously.

What happened was that he wasn't very good.  Quite simply, it just didn't work out.  Not one that will be looked back on fondly, but he goes back to Hearts with my best wishes.

I think there's a decent centre-mid in Morgaro Gomis, but his problem is he wants 20 minutes to do absolutely everything.

Pretty much everything he gets wrong comes back to him being caught on the ball and either losing it or gifting it. If he cut that out I think he'd be a great midfielder. Unfortunately he's played here that long that if he's not wisened up to that already, he's not going to.

Edited by Al B

My favourite memory of Calum Elliot......DAAAAAAAAANCE NATION!!!! 

Yeah, I saw that. Seems odd given that with Ainsworth, Johnson, Thomas and Cadden all contracted and able to play wide a winger is one of the few areas we don't need an extra body and seeing as our whole 'strategy' is supposedly bringing through our own youth players why bring in a player on loan from another Premiership club.

Edit: It'd hardly be an incentive for the likes of MacLean to sign the extension we've offered if we're out loaning in players from Celtic.

Maybe someone will correct me but I thought Duffy was playing upfront in the latter stages of the season.

Maybe someone will correct me but I thought Duffy was playing upfront in the latter stages of the season.

He's listed as a winger on most of the pages about him online.

Edit: having said that the Celtic development squad page has him listed as a striker.

Edited by capt_oats

My favourite memory of Calum Elliot's time at Fir Park was his complaint that he had to leave his house at 9am to get to training, and sometimes he wouldn't get back home until 5pm!! Can you imagine what he went through?

Did we not sign Brian McLean initially on loan from Rangers? Not the greatest example ever used, but he did OK during his time with us I thought.

There was also Jim O'Brien who was pretty guff to begin with but improved greatly to the extent we took him on (we may even have paid money to Celtic for him). He certainly came on leaps and bbounds under McGhee.

I can't remember if we managed to sell him on or if he left at the end of his contract.

Edit: sorry, talking rubbish. I could have sworn we had him on loan but I see we signed him outright in the first place.

Edited by Archie McSquackle

Are you sure Jim O'Brien was on loan to us?  I know he was on loan with Dunfermline, but I thought we paid Celtic a few grand for him to take him permanently. 

He left at the end of his contract to go to Barnsley.

I think O'Brien started out on loan with us then signed permanently after making an impression,  we ended up getting a wee bit of money for him as well i seem to remember.

Actually I stand corrected, just researched it, O'Brien was a permanent signing from Celtic in August 2008

Edited by Del_Superwell

Good video on the BBC website about the 91 cup winning team, not going to lie i got a wee bit emotional watching it. I really would love a wee trip to Hampden again next season we've been away for far too long.

Agreed. A cup run should be one the main aims for next season.

I refuse to count the 2011 final. Everything about that day was shite, from the weather to the result.