Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

As a neutral the game was over before half time, very disappointing but no surprise at all. If you put together a team of mainly lower league players against a team of internationalists there is only going to be one outcome. The rule of thumb traditionally is that if you are playing a team which is better than you, get the boot in as much as possible. Motherwell didn't even do that.

7 minutes ago, Dullard Bluteau said:

As a neutral the game was over before half time, very disappointing but no surprise at all. If you put together a team of mainly lower league players against a team of internationalists there is only going to be one outcome. The rule of thumb traditionally is that if you are playing a team which is better than you, get the boot in as much as possible. Motherwell didn't even do that.

Thanks for the insight.

Squad update announced lads:

The following players will leave the club when their contract expires at the end on 31 May 2018.

Russell Griffiths

Deimantas Petravičius

Ellis Plummer

Luke Watt (Under 20s)

Dylan King (Under 20s)

The following loans will expire when the summer transfer window opens again in early June:

Tom Aldred (Bury)

Nadir Çiftçi (Celtic)

Stephen Hendrie (Southend United)

Stephen Craigan has offered the following youngsters extended terms with the club:

Shea Gordon

Adam Livingstone

Barry Maguire

James Scott

Peter Morrison

Jason Krones

Jordan Armstrong

Shaun Bowers

Alfredo Agyeman

‘Well boss Stephen Robinson said: “I would like to put on record my thanks to each of the lads leaving the club this week.

“Although Russell, Deimantas and Ellis weren’t regular starters in our first team for whatever reason, they contributed significantly by being great professionals and pushing those who were playing.

“I’d also like to record my appreciation to Tom, Nadir and Stephen, who joined us during the January window and helped us finish the season so strongly. 

“We have been working on recruiting new players over the last few weeks. This summer will be different to last, where we made wholesale changes to the squad. We are more concentrated on fine tuning and tweaking certain areas, adding things we think we’re missing and that’s our mission.”

Motherwell Football Club would like to sincerely thank every player who is leaving Fir Park for the last time and wish them all every success in their future career.

Edited by capt_oats

Remember last time we tried to sign O'Halloran? In the space of a week he'd been denied a stone wall penalty against us,received dog's abuse from our entire away support and sent off for attempting to murder Carl McHugh.  :lol:

Probably the least successful wooing in history.

The most surprising thing about the squad update is just how few players we have out of contract.

In that respect it makes Robinson's quotes in this Evening Times interview notable:

“It’s a hard task but we have to aim to do better next season.

“We have managed to retain a lot of the players so what I have to do is make the squad better in three or four different areas.

“So I know where I have to improve and I know the board will back me as much as they physically can – but you have to remember we have 4000 fans.

“I’m speaking to three or four right now because I feel we need more energy, more pace and maybe a little bit more ownership of the game in the middle of the park.”

100% in favour of improving the squad and building on what's already here though.

Also, James Scott and Shaun Bowers have already confirmed via their socials that they've signed their extensions.

Edited by capt_oats

31 minutes ago, SCDave said:

Think he was pretty unlucky with injury, especially breaking his leg just as Hammell announced his retirement. Would probably still have stuck him on (broken leg and all) in front of Hendrie right enough..

Aye, he's a bit unlucky all in. Hendrie would've had to pay in at the weekend if he'd been fit.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Is there any chance we could get Aldred back? Love that boy.

I'd imagine this is entirely dependent on whether or not Kipre leaves. If he does, you'd think he'll be announced roughly 45 seconds later.

Edited by thisGRAEME

As it stands this is how the squad looks.

1st Team (18):

GK: Carson, Ferguson, 
DF: Tait, Kipré, Hartley, Dunne
MF: Grimshaw, Bigirimana, Cadden, McHugh, Frear, Rose, Campbell, Maclean, Tanner 
FW: Main, Bowman, Newell

u20s (14) (assuming extension terms are agreed):

GK: Morrison
DF:  Livingstone, Maguire, Krones, Armstrong, Bowers
MF: Gordon, Turnbull, Brown, MacDonald
FW: Hastie, Scott, Ageyman, Semple

From those u20s, you'd probably say Livingstone, Maguire, Gordon, Turnbull & Scott could all come in and help the first team if needed. 

So, really all needing are two or three new players (if nobody leaves) to come in and offer something different.  I'm encouraged by what Robinson is saying, regarding the type of player needed. 

Would only imagine we'd be back in for Hartley if either Kipré or Dunne move on. 

Glad Hendrie is gone, he was woeful and wont be missed.   The players released are exactly as expected no real shocks there,  hopefully we can Aldred permanently but it will be interesting to see who else Robinson brings in.

21 minutes ago, Radford said:

I don't think there is an U20s next season? It'll be reserves and U18s, will it not?

In fairness the "reserve league" seems to just be semantics. It's essentially a re-brand of the development league. As far as I can tell the only difference is that there's a minimum number (3) of over-age players you're required to play as opposed to having the option of playing up to 5 over age.

For us, broadly speaking, there will be a cross-over between those playing in the reserve and u18s teams.

Burrows mentioned it on his Twitter a while back:

Edited by capt_oats

I would honestly be looking to move McHugh on if that is atall possible. He's had a poor season overall and to end it with him, as captain, being substituted in a Scottish Cup Final after 55 minutes summed up his campaign. He is woeful in possession and is easily overpowered and that's the majority of weeks, not just against Celtic.

Build the midfield around Campbell and as for captaincy, I'd be giving it to Hartley.