Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I think it would be wrong to say that Rodgers isn't a decent manager, because I think he is - but the level of fawning over him is *ridiculous*, simply as he has faced no challenge whatsoever domestically and has a budget that means he fucking should be untouchable. Celtic under Rodgers are the ultimate Flat Track Bullies - skittling teams that have a laughably small budget in comparison but being totally unable to make any kind of step up when required in Europe. 
Still, it will make the excuses funnier when we win the cup (which is 100% happening) [emoji4] 

You missed out the part where it’s our fault they can’t step up in Europe as we don’t give them enough competition

11 minutes ago, steelmen said:

You missed out the part where it’s our fault they can’t step up in Europe as we don’t give them enough competition

But then if we do they're raging that they aren't blowing teams away.

26 minutes ago, Al B said:

But then if we do they're raging that they aren't blowing teams away.

To which they'll response by buying the players from the smaller teams who've done well against them, making the smaller teams weaker again.

Six months on, they'll complain there's no club out there good enough to give them competition.

Repeat forever and ever.

Sparra, Busta & Jay look back over a point in Dingwall & a 2-1 victory at home to Dundee, ponder just how much moaning Neil McCann does, preview the upcoming battle for 7th with St Johnstone, and look ahead to the Scottish Cup Final as ticket sales continue.

http://www.mfc1886.com/mfc-podcast-2017-18-episode-34/

Interesting (sort of) interview in the local press with James McKeown who we've been linked with. It's very Carson-y in terms of the points he's making and reading between the lines it sounds like he's gone.

“And this year, with the way it’s gone, I do probably feel like it’s the best year I have played, at least in the last three or four seasons.

“Coming back into the team, after the injury I picked up, has coincided with the run-in almost. I do feel like I have proven myself as a League Two goalkeeper now, as well.

“I’m sure that people know that I want to go higher. I do think I can, and I would love to do that here with Grimsby Town.

“I have got to weigh all of that up with my own ambition and what I want to do, and what can be achieved.”

He started following the official Motherwell account then unfollowed soon after when Grimsby fans seemed to put 2+2 together. He's still following Carson and Tait though.

I noticed that he has 2 u19 caps for Ireland. Let's face it, if Aaron McCarey can get a call up for their senior side then you'd think if McKeown fancies it (and is any good) he'd be in with a shout.

Given the way deadline day panned out for us I wouldn't be surprised if we were just keen to get Carson's successor in to the club while he's still here.  Presumably finding a 2nd choice goalkeeper is much easier than finding a first choice 'keeper at short notice.

It's just dawned on me that if we win the Cup we can be on the opposite side of those fucking soul destroying "silverware vs high league finish" debates that happened every time we played Kilmarnock or St Mirren for about 5 years.

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

In case you were wondering, @YassinMoutaouakil I'm #TeamSilverware nowadays.

In other news, I've never been one for posting things like "**random Premiership player**, worth a shot?" but I was reading that David Templeton is out of contract at Accies this summer.

Anyone think he could be worth a deal?  I suppose it's all about keeping him fit, but he's certainly the stand out player for that mob.  He's certainly got that ability to run with the ball and beat men that's a bit lacking in our current squad.

21 minutes ago, Desp said:

In case you were wondering, @YassinMoutaouakil I'm #TeamSilverware nowadays.

In other news, I've never been one for posting things like "**random Premiership player**, worth a shot?" but I was reading that David Templeton is out of contract at Accies this summer.

Anyone think he could be worth a deal?  I suppose it's all about keeping him fit, but he's certainly the stand out player for that mob.  He's certainly got that ability to run with the ball and beat men that's a bit lacking in our current squad.

Interesting shout but I thought Templeton was made of glass - our #Thunderdome training would be the end of him....

In general, it was something that I was thinking about too - Frear (who I like as a player) due both to injuries and generally not fitting our current system hasn't had a huge impact this season and we need to address that in the summer. I would have assumed that a "Marvin Johnson" type of player would suit this team better than a Templeton-type but we are lacking a bit of inventiveness....

1 hour ago, Swello said:

Interesting shout but I thought Templeton was made of glass - our #Thunderdome training would be the end of him....

In general, it was something that I was thinking about too - Frear (who I like as a player) due both to injuries and generally not fitting our current system hasn't had a huge impact this season and we need to address that in the summer. I would have assumed that a "Marvin Johnson" type of player would suit this team better than a Templeton-type but we are lacking a bit of inventiveness....

I like Frear but for the reasons mentioned (he's a winger not a wing-back) along with the fact he wasn't a Robinson signing I wondered if he might be this summer's "Heneghan"-style sale. Going by the various SPFL radar/analysis accounts on Twitter his #numbers stack up well so there's every chance a team down south might be willing to take a punt on him on the basis of that sort of data.

I'm not sure whether it was a wind up or not but I noticed over in the general shitshow that is the Dundee vs Accies thread that @Ludo*1 mentioned there were reports in the paper (not sure which one) that we were interested in Crawford (along with Dundee). Lennon already confirmed on BT that he'd been watching him with a view to taking him to Hibs. You'd think if there's concrete interest from Hibs then that's where he'd end up. Having said that, I've maybe made this up but I seem to recall chat over on Steelmen ages ago (and I mean a season or more) that Crawford was someone we were interested in.

Even then given the length of time Crawford seems to have been out broken and the Accies fans comments about his inconsistency you'd imagine #Thunderdome rules would apply there too.

Given we seem to have a habit of going back in for players we've been linked with regularly (Ciftci being the most recent) then I wondered if that trend might continue. I've mentioned it before but we've been consistently linked with O'Halloran over the past few windows (though usually tenuously as a "makeweight") and Robinson's regularly talked about a lack of pace up front. You'd think that if Gerrard is arriving at Ibrox then that'd signal a mass clear out.

Edited by capt_oats

Isn't Ali Crawford a local lad?  Pretty sure I've heard a few folk mention he's a Motherwell fan as well.  I get the feeling he'll want to take a punt with League 1/League 2 down south and if it doesn't work, he could get a Premiership gig up here fairly easily. 

As an aside picked up the link below from FirParkCorner not a huge amount that's earth shattering in the 10 mins but worth noting that Burrows is saying that this summer's recruitment drive is hopefully more about "tweaking rather than changing the whole thing". Which I think is probably in line with the expectations of most of us on here.

1 hour ago, Desp said:

Isn't Ali Crawford a local lad?  Pretty sure I've heard a few folk mention he's a Motherwell fan as well.  I get the feeling he'll want to take a punt with League 1/League 2 down south and if it doesn't work, he could get a Premiership gig up here fairly easily. 

From Carluke, used to play fitba with him quite a bit back in the day, definitely not a 'Well fan - his Mrs is. He's of the blue persuasion.

" We're not taking Robinson and Kipre aff yeez noo "  says the work currant bun as he skips about gleefully , dreaming of Stevie G denying the 10 in a row. I have actually never seen any football fan so happy over backroom developments.

5 minutes ago, Mr Pikey said:

" We're not taking Robinson and Kipre aff yeez noo "  says the work currant bun as he skips about gleefully , dreaming of Stevie G denying the 10 in a row. I have actually never seen any football fan so happy over backroom developments.

It was the same when Warburton brought them up, and then when Pedro and his Portuguese revolution took over. 

They're the most gullible fuckers to walk this earth, and they'll be exact same when the next guy rocks up after the latest failure.  They'll never, ever learn. 

It'll be funny in 2024 when Celtic get to #55 first.

2 hours ago, Desp said:

The chat I've heard is Hibs are keen to sign Crawford, accies fans ive spoken too aren't bothered, they claim he's been rubbish for over 2 years now.  I personally wouldn't take any accies players at the moment who I think would drastically improve the squad.