Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Recorded shortly after the full-time whistle in the 0-0 draw with Celtic, Sparra, Busta and Jay are joined by Ben Banks to look back on the action. Also featured was a look ahead to the Scottish Cup semi-final, discussion on Craig Tanner’s injury and the opportunities that may arise as a result and much more.

http://www.mfc1886.com/mfc-podcast-2017-18-episode-29/

3 hours ago, WellView said:

^^I better not make any comment in case I upset the sensitive wee souls. 

Outstanding by Tait today. 

Honestly, you need to tell me which holiday home you are at?  Posting in the middle of the night  (UK time) again. 

I'll have a guess and say Barbados. 

5 hours ago, WellView said:

^^I better not make any comment in case I upset the sensitive wee souls. 

Outstanding by Tait today. 

You've still not pointed out where anyone that's got anything to do with the podcast has reacted to you in any way at all other than thanking you for your feedback...let alone in a "sensitive" manner?

What’s our record for clean sheets in a single season ?

I noticed @capt_oats mention that was our 15th of the season yesterday- which must be 14 for Carson and 1 for Griffiths if I’m not mistaken- I know Randolph broke it a few years ago but I can’t seem to find the exact number he had. Something tells me it was about 15 though.

Carson must surely be in with a good shout of breaking it this season. 

6 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

I noticed @capt_oats mention that was our 15th of the season yesterday- which must be 14 for Carson and 1 for Griffiths if I’m not mistaken- I know Randolph broke it a few years ago but I can’t seem to find the exact number he had. Something tells me it was about 15 though.

Mentioned here, apparently it was 15:

Randolph established himself as first-choice goalkeeper; in his first season, he broke John Ruddy's club record of 15 clean sheets on 27 February 2011 in a 2–0 win over Celtic.[31]

Edited by capt_oats

1 minute ago, Casagolda said:

From memory, didn't Randolph end up with about 18 one season?

If we're on 15, I make it Carson will be on 14 (pretty sure Griffiths was in goal for the 2-0 win over Ross County in August, following Carson's red card in Perth). 

Not sure whether Randolph's record was for league only or overall, but still half a chance for Carson to grab it.  While we were absolutely spoiled with Ruddy followed by Randolph, we sure as f**k suffered with the likes of Nielsen, Hollis and Samson.  A great feeling to have a quality 'keeper again. 

2 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Mentioned here, apparently it was/is 15:

If he broke the record of 15, wouldn't it then be 16?  Didn't he have any other clean sheets post 27 February?

9 minutes ago, Desp said:

If he broke the record of 15, wouldn't it then be 16?  Didn't he have any other clean sheets post 27 February?

Aye. You're right. I mis-read that wiki entry.

I count 19 clean sheets in Randolph's first season: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010–11_Motherwell_F.C._season

Hollis only played one game, the league game of the season against Celtic. So seems like 19 it is.

Edit to add: here's Randolph's 10/11 season https://www.transfermarkt.com/darren-randolph/leistungsdaten/spieler/51321/plus/0?saison=2010

Edited by capt_oats

1 minute ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Do average keepers even exist? Feels like we only sign guys that are either clearly too good for this level or ones that look like they've been plucked from the juniors. Ripley maybe.

It clearly wasn't with us but Ripley equalled Oldham's clean sheet record of 18 last season. Most clean sheets in League 1 apparently.

I think the fact the defence he had in front of him when he was here was absolute humpty had a lot to do with things.

13 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Do average keepers even exist? Feels like we only sign guys that are either clearly too good for this level or ones that look like they've been plucked from the juniors. Ripley maybe.

Graeme Smith was average for our level.  George Long was the definition of meh.

Just watched the highlights from yesterday, I'm almost raging on your behalf.

Red card is a crazy decision, IMO a penalty for Curtis Main, and for a minute I thought Sinclair was going to immediately get one at the other end of the pitch.  I've felt for a while that Motherwell are due a result against Celtic, maybe you'll get it in May....

Edited by Estragon

On the subject of Keepers - there's an excellent piece by Scott Mullen about Trevor Carson that I didn't notice.

Reading between the lines, it looks like he's getting his start for Norn Iron next week - which is great for him and hopefully a wee vindication/reward to make up for the Celtic move not happening. I would guess it will hasten his move away from Fir Park but that's to be expected when someone does as well as he has.

On a slightly unrelated note, but still saucy news nonetheless, that’s Mark McGhee been sacked from Barnet after starting off as manager, and then becoming a kind of director of football role before being punted today. Will do well to manage his 1,000th game that he was saying he desperately wants!

On a slightly unrelated note, but still saucy news nonetheless, that’s Mark McGhee been sacked from Barnet after starting off as manager, and then becoming a kind of director of football role before being punted today. Will do well to manage his 1,000th game that he was saying he desperately wants!

Barnet is where Murrant ended up.

1 hour ago, Estragon said:

I've felt for a while that Motherwell are due a result against Celtic, maybe you'll get it in May....

If we're up against them in the final, no doubt the referee will be hand-picked to ensure the treble happens so they can make and sell a DVD about it.