Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

7 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Feel slightly queasy that The Sun seem to be getting our exclusives these days. Anyway, we’re officially trying to bring Beneghan back on loan.

No great surprise but this has quotes from Robinson and everything.

da01013a67ce4bf7519cc65040ea9e07.jpg

Whats weird is that I either dreamt or imagined while steaming that this had already happened, and that we'd confirmed it. Goodness me.

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:
Whats weird is that I either dreamt or imagined while steaming that this had already happened, and that we'd confirmed it. Goodness me.

I’ll take the bet that says you saw the fake version. Basically there was is a fake Motherwell Twitter account spec’d up to look like the official one but unverified that posts a torrent of pish.

There was a Heneghan confirmed post went up the other day complete with the same announcement “style”.

Edit: this one, with 13 followers.

b1c2904d2b65ed4372314a96a705274d.jpg

Edited by capt_oats

48 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

I am very thankful for your putting my mind at ease and that my brain hasn't turned into soup.

I think we're still unconfirmed on that, Graeme.

Anyway, moving back to fitba matters, I'm still unsure on this Ciftci signing.  I think we're heading to Maros Klimpl levels of mentalness with this one.  Some will take to him right away and stick him in the cult hero bracket, and others will think he's a waste of a jersey.

It's really up to Nadir, he's probably on his last chance now.  What's that, the last three loan moves have all been a disaster?  That's not even counting his team at Celtic.  Without doubt there's a player in there, but it would have been awfy handy for him at Tannadice with Armstrong, Gauld and GMS laying chances on a plate for them.   As much as I like them, not sure Cadden, Tanner and Frear are at the same level.

In other news, I'm hearing we are close to signing a defender that isn't Ben Heneghan.

Feel slightly queasy that The Sun seem to be getting our exclusives these days. Anyway, we’re officially trying to bring Beneghan back on loan.

No great surprise but this has quotes from Robinson and everything.

da01013a67ce4bf7519cc65040ea9e07.jpg

I’m glad I was sitting down. #shocked

22 minutes ago, Desp said:

It's really up to Nadir, he's probably on his last chance now.  What's that, the last three loan moves have all been a disaster?  That's not even counting his team at Celtic.  Without doubt there's a player in there, but it would have been awfy handy for him at Tannadice with Armstrong, Gauld and GMS laying chances on a plate for them.   As much as I like them, not sure Cadden, Tanner and Frear are at the same level.

In other news, I'm hearing we are close to signing a defender that isn't Ben Heneghan.

Would that be a left back...?

Ciftci wasn't a disaster in Turkey, and scored a belter while there.

The others...less so. IDK, I think he'll do absolutely fine as he's going to be 'the guy' for us, which is what he'll revel in. It isn't a snap decision we've made, he's been tracked and sought for a while, which is reassuring. 

12 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Would that be a left back...?

Ciftci wasn't a disaster in Turkey, and scored a belter while there.

The others...less so. IDK, I think he'll do absolutely fine as he's going to be 'the guy' for us, which is what he'll revel in. It isn't a snap decision we've made, he's been tracked and sought for a while, which is reassuring. 

You do realise the Stevie Hammell Academy Director thing is all a big joke, don't you?  We've still got at least three years of Stevie Hammell + sub-standard other guy for our left back duties... 

What I've heard is that it's a centre-half.

Going to back Ciftci, you're right about him being 'the guy'.  I hope that's enough to get him going.  A goal in a win next week will get him off to a cracking start.

2 minutes ago, Desp said:

A goal in a win next week will get him off to a cracking start.

A goal next week is one thing - but if he could see his way clear to rattling the ball off Dougie Imrie's coupon at a free kick, there will be songs sung, T-shirts printed.

1 hour ago, Swello said:

A parody account of a middling Scottish Premiership team with 13 followers is one of the saddest things I've seen since the advent of social media.

Was thinking that myself. Surely not enough potential traffic to justify going to all that effort, to each their own though.

16 minutes ago, Desp said:

You do realise the Stevie Hammell Academy Director thing is all a big joke, don't you?  We've still got at least three years of Stevie Hammell + sub-standard other guy for our left back duties... 

What I've heard is that it's a centre-half.

Going to back Ciftci, you're right about him being 'the guy'.  I hope that's enough to get him going.  A goal in a win next week will get him off to a cracking start.

Curious. I'd heard a left back.

MAYBE BOTH THEN?

The thing with Ciftci, and part of the reason I'm more enthused about the signing, is we're not often found shopping in the 'mercurial genius' aisle. So this is a welcome change.

I'm very much in the "he'll (hopefully) be fine" camp. That said, my expectations are probably a bit lower than some. I don't think we even need the United version of Ciftci, just someone who's closer to Moult than either Bowman or Fisher seem to be and who can make the most of the (decent) service he'll get from Tanner, Frear, Cadden and Tait. The very fact he's got a track record of sorts in the league means I'm a bit more comfortable than taking a punt on someone from the National League.

Even at Celtic, for all his apparent disinterest and lack of fitness, in the league he has 4 goals from 5 starts. Ultimately right now we're 16 points from safety, so 5 wins and a draw. I'd say that a fit and reasonably motivated Ciftci could easily be #thedifference in games against County, Thistle, Dundee (especially Dundee), Accies, Killie and St Johnstone ie: the teams we need to be winning against. If he can turn up against Rangers and boil their supporters piss then I salute him.

With regards his other loans, having had a browse through Plymouth's forum, despite the hate there's a fair number of their fans pointing out that he was totally unsuited to the way Adams wanted him to play and also mentioning that in 4 of the games he was involved in they were down to 10 men for large spells due to red cards. The gist seemed to be that while it was clear quickly had no interest in being there a fair amount of the blame needed to be directed at Adams as he signed the player and had no idea what to do with him.

I'm actually pretty chuffed with Nadir Ciftci signing and think he will do well for us. I am confident that whatever happens he will be a better option up front than Fisher, Bowman or Tanner.

42 minutes ago, MJC said:

I'm actually pretty chuffed with Nadir Ciftci signing and think he will do well for us. I am confident that whatever happens he will be a better option up front than Fisher, Bowman or Tanner.

Tanner has been pretty much the only bright spot of our horrendous run of results - as far as I can see, he's one of the most skillfull players at the club and Robinson's challenge is to use him more and more effectively than he has done so far.

Despite my reservations on Ciftci - he has the potential to add some quality that neither Bowman or Fisher are capable of - and I'm looking forward to seeing if we can get Tanner and him on the same wavelength....

The gist seemed to be that while it was clear quickly had no interest in being there a fair amount of the blame needed to be directed at Adams as he signed the player and had no idea what to do with him.

You can’t mean Derek Adams.... the man that signs 15 players every January and gets lucky that 1 or 2 turn out to be decent.