Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Based on nothing other than a hope that we’re a proactive sort these days I’d have imagined we’d already have been speaking to clubs about Moult with a view to January.

The link with Wigan the other week sounded like a credible destination and the sort of deal we’d go for.

How is Tanner getting on this season? Interested as he was on loan at Wimbledon a couple of seasons back and looked out his depth but seemed to do OKish at Plymouth. 

He’s had quite a weird season so far. He’s shown a fair bit off the bench and genuinely affected games. See the opening goal against Celtic last week. He’s technically good and adds a bit of directness and pace.

However, any time he’s started he’s struggled to make an impact and has been hooked at HT more than once. Whether that’s down to what Robinson’s been asking the team to do and the side not clicking as a result IDK. There have been a couple of times he’s been asked to play as a 2nd striker and it just hasn’t happened for him.

There are a couple of players in the side at the moment (Tanner is one, Bigirimana is another) where it feels like they’re still trying to work out how they fit in the team.

Robinson apparently saying today that we’re currently in talks with 3 players about contract extensions, also confirmed we will sell Moult in January if the right offer comes in- which we all knew anyway.

Who do we think the 3 are then?  You’d think/hope that a permanent deal for Hartley and Bowman would be 2 of them. 

After that I’m struggling to think of another out of contract that I’d say warrants an extension at this moment in time.

6 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Robinson apparently saying today that we’re currently in talks with 3 players about contract extensions, also confirmed we will sell Moult in January if the right offer comes in- which we all knew anyway.

Who do we think the 3 are then?  You’d think/hope that a permanent deal for Hartley and Bowman would be 2 of them. 

After that I’m struggling to think of another out of contract that I’d say warrants an extension at this moment in time.

Rose would probably be my guess based purely on the minutes he's been getting.

Based on absolutely nothing really, I have a feeling Fisher will make the step up when Moult leaves.

He reminds me a bit of Higdon when he signed in that it looked like he might not be the right fit at first. Fisher strikes me as similar in that it might just take a few starts and a couple of goals to get him going.

Not sure whether Robinson would feel the same or if we'll look to get in a replacement for Moult.

Allan Campbell until 2030 I hope.

6 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Based on absolutely nothing really, I have a feeling Fisher will make the step up when Moult leaves.

He reminds me a bit of Higdon when he signed in that it looked like he might not be the right fit at first. Fisher strikes me as similar in that it might just take a few starts and a couple of goals to get him going.

Not sure whether Robinson would feel the same or if we'll look to get in a replacement for Moult.

That's a possibility, Alex Fisher hasn't impressed so far and appears to lack confidence but the same could have been said of Bowman last season and he has come on a fair bit this season. I think Robinson & Lasley are good at getting the best out of players and hopefully they can work on Fisher in time.

23 minutes ago, nsr said:

How long are we going to be able to hold on to Robinson?

Until McInnes goes to Rangers then Aberdeen go for him as the replacement, they have previous for this kind of thing.

18 hours ago, nsr said:

How long are we going to be able to hold on to Robinson?

Unless it all goes tits up for him I think he'll be here for another season or two. I'd imagine the Oldham job burned him a bit.

The reality of the situation is that he's 10 months into the job having been binned after 6 months at Oldham. Listening to him speak in that interview yesterday I think he's more than aware that he's got a lot to learn and the Motherwell job allows him to get on with things in a relatively low-key way. He seems a pretty self-aware guy.

If a ridiculous job offer came along then I'd have thought the club's position would be such that they wouldn't stand in his way as long as there was adequate compensation but to be honest I don't see him being top of any shortlists at the moment. Which isn't a reflection on him more that you'd really need to see where we are after a season (or two) to get a gauge on Robinson as a manager.

Edited by capt_oats

On the subject of Moult going - I'd assume that we'd sign someone to replace him. The reason is that the Jan window is quite useful if you have some money to spend on a transfer fee, even if it's fairly modest. We can test another team who's best player is out of contract in May and steal a march on competitors who are waiting for the summer or trying a precontract. I'm sure that's how we got Marvin..  

Mildly off topic for a thread about Motherwell, but I've watched that incident about 10 times and I honestly don't know what that was given for. It wasn't even a dive, it was literally given out of nowhere. 

Ye I know no one s interested in City ( why would you be [emoji23]) My point was regarding standard of refereeing . It actually gets worse down the divisions .I ve seen some horrific desicions for and against my team . But where that penalty comes from God only knows. All the best for rest of the season

Louis Moult ruled out for up to a month due to a hamstring injury apparently. I know he's moe than likely away in January anyway but with the schedule we've got over Christmas then this is an absolute hammer blow for us and don't try to kid yourself otherwise. I seriously think we could struggle to pick up more than two points in December.

Yep - a huge blow him being out - but we're losing him in a few weeks anyway I'd imagine, so it's really just bringing it forward albeit at the worst possible time given the concentration of games coming up. The only (tiny) crumb of comfort is that the goals have been a bit more spread around this season compared to the previous couple...