Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Carson - Great goalie. at one point on Saturday I turned to mention how I could hear him screamin at his defence only to find out my mate and his da were also talking about it.

Hartley - Exactly what we needed, no not a goalie scoring machine. A center half with a level head to talk Dunne and Kipre through their games. He's also good at defending

Midfield - Our options are unreal compared to what we are used to. I really like Rose. You've got Alan Campbell, need I say more & I think that although Carl McHugh hasn't had the season we expected, I think he's the linchpin in that midfield. Take him out, we may suffer. The options on our bench are also great.

Bowman - I think Bowman is key to our attack. We all know what Moult can do but when Bowman plays well, our forward line plays well.  I'll ignore his Miss from yesterday.

Robbo - Hands up. I was unsure even after he kept us up. He's stamped an identity on the team, got a lot of his business early in the transfer window and gave us a plan on how to play. It seems we actually have tactical training now as well as the technical side of things. Rather than just squeezing 11 guys into a 442/451 we seemed to do under McGhee.

Keep it up Motherwell.

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

Robbo - Hands up. I was unsure even after he kept us up. He's stamped an identity on the team, got a lot of his business early in the transfer window and gave us a plan on how to play. It seems we actually have tactical training now as well as the technical side of things. Rather than just squeezing 11 guys into a 442/451 we seemed to do under McGhee.

^^^ 100% this.

That's largely been my takeaway from the season thus far. Robinson's got a clear idea of how he wants his team to set up and has brought in players who have the specific attributes he's after. Rather than us just signing players and working out what to do with them once they're in the door it looks like we already knew what we were getting and how they'd fit in when we signed them.

I'd add that in a sense he's totally lucked out with Campbell as he's a perfect fit for Robinson's style of play. I doubt we'd be able to afford an equivalent to him tbh.

40 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Haven't seen many of the Premiership games this season but how is the lad Hartley been getting on? We apparently have an agreement with Blackpool to sign him in January.

He's been absolutely superb - and we are also trying to sign him up according to Robinson. I'd be surprised if he wanted to drop down to the 1st Division regardless....

2 minutes ago, Crilly said:

Unless I'm mistaken he's on a season long loan to us.  That doesn't preclude the signing of a pre contract agreement with another party of course.

Can he sign a pre-contract in Jan if he's contracted at Blackpool until summer 2019? I guess it all comes down to Blackpool (and the player) being willing to do something - but in that case, I'd be surprised if Hartely wanted to go anywhere apart from Motherwell...

55 minutes ago, Swello said:

Can he sign a pre-contract in Jan if he's contracted at Blackpool until summer 2019? I guess it all comes down to Blackpool (and the player) being willing to do something - but in that case, I'd be surprised if Hartely wanted to go anywhere apart from Motherwell...

Aye, his deal with Blackpool is a 2 year (+ 1 year option) Link and he's signed with us on a season long loan Link

Unless there's a recall option in his loan he's with us until the end of the season. As far as I can tell Blackpool would have to recall him then cancel the year and a half he's got left on his deal in January if he was to move.

13 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

Is there not a rule where you can only play for two clubs a season anyway? I'm sure he played in England's version of the diddy diddy cup although I could be wrong.

Yes. Hartley can only play for us or Blackpool until the end of the season. 

He played in both the League Cup and Football League Trophy for Blackpool. These count as official games and are certainly more official than Hatem Ben Arfa's appearance for Newcastle in the Development League that stopped his move to Nice. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/30822059

Just now, Gianfranco said:

Is there not a rule where you can only play for two clubs a season anyway? I'm sure he played in England's version of the diddy diddy cup although I could be wrong.

Aye, the Mike Grella rule. You can register with 3 but only play for 2. 

Article 5.2 "Players may be registered with a maximum of three clubs during one season. During this period, the player is only eligible to play official matches for two clubs."

https://resources.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/administration/02/55/56/41/regulationsonthestatusandtransferofplayersapril2015e_neutral.pdf

Hartley's already played for Blackpool in the EFL Trophy as well as us so it's unlikely he's going to move to another club and sit in the stands for the rest of the season, especially as the reason he's moved to Motherwell is because he wasn't getting regular first team games at Blackpool.

Sparra, Jay & Busta look back at the Lanarkshire Derby victory before previewing Sunday’s semi-final at Hampden. Peter Hartley, Stephen Robinson, Dalziel Park, Off-Air 3, ticket sales, and more all on the agenda too:

http://www.mfc1886.c...-18-episode-13/

21 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Genuinely can't believe people still fall for Mongooses shite tbh, hang your heads in shame

He has been away from the premiership forum for so long that I forget these things.

Going to take me a while to remember all the St Mirren trolls when Dundee united fail to win promotion again.

On 10/15/2017 at 11:55, Swello said:

As he scored yesterday, it seems a good time to mention the fact that the "Whit does he dae??" branch of the Andy Rose supporters club seems a lot smaller these days.....

Making decent runs into the areas off the back post is the best part of his game.  Not seen much else from him that was beyond the 'below average - average' category.  Still better than McHugh this season but Campbell is running our midfield right now.

We need stronger midfield performances across the park if we are going to step up a level from Conqueror of Diddies.