Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

So Wee Petey made quite the impression for the u20s this evening. Suffice to say he's not Belic mk2.

Absolutely rapid and has a bit of height, decent in the air put the cross in for Fisher's first, won the penalty and scored the 3rd. Granted he's a full international and was playing against actual teenagers but still...looked like he has something to offer.

So Wee Petey made quite the impression for the u20s this evening. Suffice to say he's not Belic mk2.

Absolutely rapid and has a bit of height, decent in the air put the cross in for Fisher's first, won the penalty and scored the 3rd. Granted he's a full international and was playing against actual teenagers but still...looked like he has something to offer.

That U20's line-up from last night could probably hold it's own against the bottom teams in the Premiership - I feel a bit sorry for the boys from the Energy Check Stadium at Firhill. It says a lot for the depth of the current 1st team squad that we're having to give fit, overage players a run-out in the '20s (and probably underlines again how little we were getting for our budget last season).

I'd never seen The Lithuanian before and I hadn't realised he was another tall guy - Robinson is not a fan of the traditional Motherwell Midget obviously.

Aye, as I said to my pal who covers Thistle's dev side for their Twitter feed that was closer to a reserve side we put out last night. It was as much about Motherwell having more about them physically than anything, even though technically they were playing some good stuff (as did Thistle). Even Liam Brown, who's still 18, has a season of first team league games under his belt with Queen's Park while half of the starting XI have either played or been involved in match day squads with our first team.

Craigan touched on it in his interview but the first team guys like Plummer, Fisher, MacLean, Petravičius and particularly Tanner all turned up and played like first team players. There was less Blyth-a-like "going through the motions". Even though Fisher was the only wildly "over age" player it still seemed a bit of a mismatch particularly as Thistle were missing players. It's game like that where you really see the differences in terms of strength & conditioning though. James Scott's only 17 and physically quite imposing compared to Thistle's lot. Turnbull's 18 and has gone from being built like the side of a fiver at the start of last season to being able comfortably hold his own in the competitive games against Queen's Park and Crusaders.

Edit: that starting XI we put out yesterday had an average age of 20.4 and there's probably an argument that those who didn't start or weren't involved; Bowers, Maguire, Gordon, MacDonald, Semple, Agyeman, Scott et al would make the core of a fairly competitive Dev League side. That's not even including the likes of Ferguson, Watt, Hastie or McMillan who are out on Dev Loan.

Edited by capt_oats

Sparra, Busta and Jay look back on Saturday’s fightback to earn a 2-2 draw with Hibs at Easter Road, discuss Louis Moult rediscovering his spark, consider whether Motherwell should be looking to extend Stephen Robinson’s contract and preview the double header against Aberdeen in the company of ByTheMinAberdeen’s Richard Hay.

6c824fdf65aaa14eb39a5978f6685aee.jpg

Just saw the above on twitter. Not sure what our average age would've been last season but I think we would've probably have been in the oldest 10. Excellent work was done by Robinson, Burrows and the scouting team over the summer.

I've no idea where they've got those ages from. In a squad of 26 we've nine over 29yo players, and nine U22s. Average age is now below 27.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I've no idea where they've got those ages from. In a squad of 26 we've nine over 29yo players, and nine U22s. Average age is now below 27.

It does say at the bottom of the image...

http://www.football-observatory.com/IMG/sites/atlas/en/

Not the average age of the whole squad but the average weighted by minutes played in the domestic league.

It does say at the bottom of the image...
http://www.football-observatory.com/IMG/sites/atlas/en/
Not the average age of the whole squad but the average weighted by minutes played in the domestic league.

That's makes more sense. Ours is always heavily influenced by having Mannus and MacLean being 35.

That's great news - I think a few people were complaining that with all these new players coming in and the long serving guys fading away, we were losing some identity - but both Campbell and Cadden are two of the best players to come through the ranks in years (and that's high praise) - and as both are apparently 'Well fans,  it helps with that side of things. I doubt either will be here for the long term but to have two U-21 internationals in the same midfield is really good going for a team that weren't going to invited to Project Brave....