Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Although Tanner looks like he is taking some heat in the other place.

Aye? Out of all our summer signings he's the one I thought has looked the best.

I'm honestly surprised more SO posters don't move over here. Don't know how they can handle it.

Kind of related to Tanner but in a more general sense, with McDonald having left Tanner seems to have dropped in to that second striker role. Obviously everyone was/is aware of our (over)reliance on Moult and McDonald's goals last season and in the run in we found Elliot Frear creating a stupid number of our goals. That's us scored now 11 goals so far in 5 games and from the looks of things there seems to be a decent spread in terms of where the supply is coming from.

As yet only one goal has come directly from a set piece as well, Moult's free kick all the rest have been from open play, while 5 of the 6 new outfield signings have been involved in goals. Obviously you have to factor in opposition but we've had 7 different scorers so far in the opening games, last season it was 5 (Moult (1), Johnson (3), Lasley (1), MacLean (1) & Moore (1)) 

Tuton (assisted by MacLean)
Bowman (assisted by Cadden)
Bigirimana (assisted by Tanner)
Bowman (assisted by Hammell)
Bowman (assisted by Frear)
Rose (assisted by MacLean)
Cadden (assisted by Fisher)
Tanner (assisted by Bigirimana)
Bowman (assisted by McHugh)
Bowman (assisted by Kipré)
Moult (direct free kick)

Edited by capt_oats

There's as many tadgers on this site as there is SO.

Happy that Clay has gone, nice fella and all that but he was actually Jake Taylor levels of anonymous in games. Didn't offer much offensively or defensively.

Really don't want to see some young players development suffer for having him. Good business all round.

I'm not even joking. Blyth would be as well chucking the fitba', getting on board with his bird's agent and fully embracing the reality TV life.

he's absolute dugmeat as a footballer so it seems like a pretty positive career move tbh.

Genuinely could see him doing well out of it. Reckon he'll never make it at any decent level playing football so he'd be as well getting in on that boat and make himself a bit of cash.

As for with us, unless he's been at the Davie Weir as well we won't bin him. He'll get a rap on the knuckles and hang about using our gym for the rest of the season then we'll bin him. I can't see him willingly opting to leave while he's crocked.

Just now, well fan for life said:

Genuinely could see him doing well out of it. Reckon he'll never make it at any decent level playing football so he'd be as well getting in on that boat and make himself a bit of cash.

As for with us, unless he's been at the Davie Weir as well we won't bin him. He'll get a rap on the knuckles and hang about using our gym for the rest of the season then we'll bin him. I can't see him willingly opting to leave while he's crocked.

I'd imagine he'll be gone in January, much like Laing, Robinson, Reid, Twardzik, Clarkson etc did previously.

One way I could see it panning out is if we were to offer to settle up on, say 6 months of his contract now and just ignore any further disciplinary action, especially if there's more involvement in the story on his side than has been reported. Something along the lines of "after an internal investigation the club has found that whilst the conduct is regrettable there is no need for further disciplinary action, the club has accepted Jacob's account of the incident. However, following discussion with the player and his representative the club have agreed to release him from his contract in order to focus on his recovery from injury at home in England."

While he could obviously use the money there's not a fucking chance he actually wants to be at the club. He gets his wages until January but he's released and can basically go and find another club.

I don't follow him on Twitter but having just looked at his profile I notice his bio just says "Professional Footballer". OK, it's a stretch to even call him that but has he never had the club handle in the bio, most others do?

I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with us 'sacking' an injured player because of a photo on the front page of the sun.
You wouldn't get dismissed in any other industry for doing something that isn't illegal.

I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with us 'sacking' an injured player because of a photo on the front page of the sun.
You wouldn't get dismissed in any other industry for doing something that isn't illegal.

Agree 100%.

However, regardless of the front page he, his agent and the club must know he's done at Motherwell. If he hadn't been injured we'd have locked him and his rep in a room and not let them leave until they'd found another club to take him.

For me, the likelihood is that he'll be away in January on a mutual termination of his deal with a small lump sum on the remainder of his contract. Again, the player must know that too.

I don't know the guy but I'd be surprised if he wants to stick about in Scotland. Even going back to his first interview I don't think he's ever really given the impression he wanted to be here.

So, there's a fair chance the club and manager want to move him on and the possibility that the player himself wants away with the main stumbling block being his injury. I'd have thought that, if nothing else, The Sun front page would at the very least allow all parties to have an honest discussion to see if there's a way that everyone can get what they want.

Like Captain Oats I can see some form of compromise agreement being reached which saves face and reputation all round.

Technically though unless Blyth does something really stupid thereby giving MFC the opportunity to dismiss him he can see out his contract. Would take a hellava lot of resolve/balls for him to do this but it is open to him, including the year option.

I suspect and hope matters will become clear soon.

Have to say on a general point that due to his injuries [ physical and emotional---remember Mc Ghee`s comment!] , poor form and me not being around I have yet to see him play in over a year !

For all I know he may be a budding Lewandowski but I suspect not.

2 hours ago, mjw said:

I feel no qualms about this and would happily step in to do so if the club need a stand in to tell him to f**k off.

Cheers for Dom Thomas guys, that's two games he's played now, was decent against Ayr and tonight he was one of 3 or 4 standouts, beats his man, has a bit of pace, can cross a ball, pinged in half a dozen superb crosses and when he switches into the middle knows where the net is, scored two well worked goals

I know it's only Ayr & Clyde but there is definitely a very good winger in there, linked up with Chris Burke like they have played together for years.... Ta much [emoji108]

Cheers for Dom Thomas guys, that's two games he's played now, was decent against Ayr and tonight he was one of 3 or 4 standouts, beats his man, has a bit of pace, can cross a ball, pinged in half a dozen superb crosses and when he switches into the middle knows where the net is, scored two well worked goals

I know it's only Ayr & Clyde but there is definitely a very good winger in there, linked up with Chris Burke like they have played together for years.... Ta much [emoji108]

If Lee McCulloch can get something out of him, then I'll take my hat off to him.

I won't be holding my breath though.

37 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

I know it's only Ayr & Clyde but there is definitely a very good winger in there, linked up with Chris Burke like they have played together for years.... Ta much emoji108.png

He really wasn't.

40 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

I know it's only Ayr & Clyde but there is definitely a very good winger in there, linked up with Chris Burke like they have played together for years.... Ta much emoji108.png

The definition of a hostage to fortune. Genuinely - come back at the winter break and give us your honest opinion. If you've pinched a great player off us for nowt, you'll get no complaints from us. 

PS - that 5-1 on Sat is looking marginally better after tonight's LC results 

Edited by Swello

Cammy jizzing himself more and more over Killie this Summer has been a great watch, their inevitable struggle to avoid 11th might break him.

It reminds me of Dundee fans coming on to our thread raving about Mark O'Hara after he had a few good games at the start of last season, only for him to basically revert to mediocrity for the other 10 months of the campaign.