Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

That's the thing. With those you look at and your first reaction after bursting out laughing is; "Aye, you can't do that." they're obvious red cards. No one's going to appeal those.

Where you start seeing grey areas is when you look at McDonald and McHugh's then compare with Cole on Lucas and O'Brien at the weekend. 4 separate incidents, 4 different games, 2 are reds and 2 are yellows, with very little to distinguish between the incidents (that's of course before you take into account Vigurs against Celtic, Kiernan on Hammell, Pearson in the same game etc. etc). Direct comparisons are perhaps the wrong way to approach things on account of decisions ultimately being subjective and open to interpretation but it's still understandable why you'd ask the question especially as over the piece our disciplinary record is the 2nd best in the country behind Celtic https://www.statbunker.com/competitions/ClubBookings?comp_id=566 I'm not sure how that stacks up in terms of actual disciplinary points but 39 yellow cards compared to Accies 64 reflects something.

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

That's Robinson officially back, took training today.

http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2017/02/20/robinson-returns-as-first-team-coach/

A tacit admission that Faddy (as an inexperienced coach) hasn't filled the gap that Robinson left? I think it's now a weird setup as I'm not sure what Faddy's role entails, however, I'm happy to see Robinson back.

A tacit admission that Faddy (as an inexperienced coach) hasn't filled the gap that Robinson left? I think it's now a weird setup as I'm not sure what Faddy's role entails, however, I'm happy to see Robinson back.

I'd say that it is...sort of. I think there are a few strands to it tbh. Firstly as you point out there's Faddy's inexperience which can hardly be a criticism as we knew that when we gave him the job, secondly McGhee said himself that he *ahem* may have a suspension coming up and thirdly there's the age old point of McGhee's involvement with Scotland so he'll not only be looking at a suspension but he'll be away again for a bit.

Ultimately though I don't think bringing him back is specifically *about* anything other than the fact that we're leaking goals like a sieve. Looking at Robinson's record at Oldham while it obviously didn't work out, in his 24 league games in charge they kept 7 clean sheets and there were 8 games where they only conceded 1. While I grant you we were hardly George Graham's Arsenal defensively when he was here previously you get the feeling he has a much better idea of how to set up and organise a side defensively than either McGhee or McFadden.

The way I see it is in the short term at least it takes the responsibility off McFadden and a bit of the pressure off McGhee. It's an understatement but it shows that they realised something had to be done one way or another, though it's interesting that Robinson mentions that McGhee spoke to him about it after the County game.

Furthermore I suppose that rather than being a tacit acknowledgement that it hasn't worked out with McFadden it may simply be the case that we've established what his strengths as a coach are and the defensive side may not be one of them.

Surely even the biggest McGhee supporters can't defend him after today's debacle. With us losing 5-1 at home to Dundee and fans protesting against him, his position is now untenable.

McGhee OUT.

9 minutes ago, BigTamMuller said:

I reckon you and CMWellfan over on Steelmen would get along like a house on fire!

About time they had a voice of reason on that forum. Maybe I'll start posting there again.

From the match thread, there's a bit of chat over Samson & Brill and why one was released over the other.

Got me thinking, does anyone know how many senior goalkeepers that we've signed that have never made a first team appearence?  I can only go back 20/25 years but I'm pretty sure McGhee must be responsible for about 80% of them.

Brill & Griffiths from this spell.  From his previous spell, he had Nielsen, Krysiak & Daniels on loan.  I know Daniels played a couple of times, but did Krysiak and Neilsen play under McGhee?  I didn't think so.

Any more?

38 minutes ago, Desp said:

From the match thread, there's a bit of chat over Samson & Brill and why one was released over the other.

Got me thinking, does anyone know how many senior goalkeepers that we've signed that have never made a first team appearence?  I can only go back 20/25 years but I'm pretty sure McGhee must be responsible for about 80% of them.

Brill & Griffiths from this spell.  From his previous spell, he had Nielsen, Krysiak & Daniels on loan.  I know Daniels played a couple of times, but did Krysiak and Neilsen play under McGhee?  I didn't think so.

Any more?

A bit of a technicality but did you not sign Letheren and then have his registration refused so have to keep him for 6 months? Don't know if he was accepting money or that but think there was something odd.