Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Looks like the record was right re O'Halloran;

Mark McGhee says Motherwell are interested in both Forest Green's Elliot Frear & Rangers' Michael O'Halloran. No movement on Pearson return.

Despite our best efforts, you do start to get the feeling this is going to go down to yet another deadline day scramble.

7 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Looks like the record was right re O'Halloran;

Despite our best efforts, you do start to get the feeling this is going to go down to yet another deadline day scramble.

Allan Burrows was saying to a guy on Twitter the other day suggesting that we've got the targets lined up but a lot of it is dictated by what's happening elsewhere.

The only way that O'Halloran coming in makes sense IMO is if Ainsworth is moving on, which thinking about it isn't outwith the bounds of possibility as he's only got 6 months left on his deal I suppose. It's still weird though. Having said that if we're still in for Frear then that's us still addressing the left side of the park.

I'm still not into loaning players off Sevco though. That plan can absolutely get in the bin.

Michael O'Halloran?  Not for me.  It's not because of who he plays for, it's just that I don't think he's that good.  He had a two or three month purple patch at St Johnstone and got the move off the back of a good performance at Ibrox in the cup.

We'll also need to pay a fair whack of his wages.  No thank you.  

38 minutes ago, Desp said:

Michael O'Halloran?  Not for me.  It's not because of who he plays for, it's just that I don't think he's that good.  He had a two or three month purple patch at St Johnstone and got the move off the back of a good performance at Ibrox in the cup.

Agreed. Our model is all about developing home grown players and picking up unearthed gems from elsewhere to sell on at a profit, that's how we're going to be financially successful.

I'm not sure where the short term loan signing of a rival clubs player fits into that model. If I believed we had the money to buy him at the end of the loan and then sell him on at a profit, a few years down the line, then I'd be more favourable to it. However for various reasons already outlined I don't think that's viable. 

Edited by Londonwell

3 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

Agreed. Our model is all about developing home grown players and picking up unearthed gems from elsewhere to sell on at a profit, that's how we're going to be financially successful.

I'm not sure where the short term loan signing of a rival clubs player fits into that model. If I believed we had the money to buy him at the end of the loan and then sell him on at a profit, a few years down the line, then I'd be more favourable to it. However for various reasons already outlined I don't think that's viable. 

Aye, I'd not be averse to a loan if there was a reasonable likelihood that we'd take the player further down the line. Grimshaw for example was out of contract with United at the end of the season when he was with us but in this case given Ainsworth can't get in our side and Burrows was explicit in saying we were looking at options for the left side of the team I really can't see the point of loaning O'Halloran given his wage and the fact he's got a decent amount left on his contract.

If it's just us on a noise up knowing they won't accept the offer then it's an amusing reversal of roles.

1 hour ago, Desp said:

If we played the correct system, one similar to McGhee's first spell when McCormack played a big part in a similar type role, then possibly O'Halloran could do a job for us. Of course it'd be a gamble but then again every signing is.

i certainly wouldn't not take him on loan simply because of who he plays for, but then again I don't hate Rangers/Sevco more than I love Motherwell unlike some. The fact that he would be a Rangers loanee would put the guy at a disadvantage straight away as there would be some in our support desperate to hate him regardless of what he did for us.

As I said, a gamble it would certainly be, but I suppose it would come down to money which could well be the deal breaker.

Just watched McGhee's press conference. I reckon they're stretching it a bit re: O'Halloran interest. McGhee basically says "he's a player we'd definitely be interested in but we've no indication as to whether he's available or would be coming here". That sounds like pretty much the response every other manager has given when they've been asked about O'Halloran. 

Pearo sounds to be a non-starter and we're definitely in for Frear.

10 minutes ago, MJC said:

i certainly wouldn't not take him on loan simply because of who he plays for, but then again I don't hate Rangers/Sevco more than I love Motherwell unlike some. The fact that he would be a Rangers loanee would put the guy at a disadvantage straight away as there would be some in our support desperate to hate him regardless of what he did for us.

giphy.gif

28 minutes ago, MJC said:

If we played the correct system, one similar to McGhee's first spell when McCormack played a big part in a similar type role, then possibly O'Halloran could do a job for us. Of course it'd be a gamble but then again every signing is.

As I said, a gamble it would certainly be, but I suppose it would come down to money which could well be the deal breaker.

That sounds like *** talk to me.

Edited by Londonwell

There's some in the support who question the logic of loaning a player from a rival club for half a season knowing the chances of making the deal are slim to f**k all.

You crack on with your conspiracy theories though.