Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Kind of what I expected - no one really keen to see him back. I'm in the same boat, would rather we structured things around bringing on our own players and we need to use our budget really wisely this close season...

Alan Burrows on Twitter said earlier "Anyway - enough of that! Hopeful for some contract / player news over the next few days. A lot of irons in the fire too... #COYW"

Wonder who it could be? Probably Lasley and Hammell resigning lol

It was outlined at the Well Society meeting last night that next seasons budget is based on a 10th place finish, with no cup run and no player sales.

Not that I have a problem with that of course, it's absolutely the right road to go down. The clubs lived out with its means in recent years and with no rich owner to bail us out anymore we have to be prudent with our money.

However any talk of bringing back the likes of Nicky Law is fanciful, we couldn't even afford to offer him close to what he was on last time he was here let alone what he's become accustomed to in the last few years.

McGhee's going to have the smallest budget of any Motherwell manager for a number of years, as evidenced by some of our senior players reportedly being offered new contracts with 30% wage reductions in comparison to what they were on last season. So he's just going to need to be creative with it, cause the days of us going out and just signing established players from other clubs like Vigurs, Higdon etc are gone sadly.

Think next year might be a difficult one for us but it's absolutely the right route for the club to go down. Just have to hope the scouting system we have in place can unearth another few gems like Johnson and Moult and that a couple of the U20's can follow in Cadden and Hall's footsteps and make an impact on the first team.

It was outlined at the Well Society meeting last night that next seasons budget is based on a 10th place finish, with no cup run and no player sales.

Good. Aye, it might be a bit shite to begin with, but the debt has to be repaid, the club has to get on an even keel. Get players sold, any profits used to clear debts, then we get on with re-investing it, long term.

I take the budget cutbacks as a positive thing overall as I was uncomfortable that we were losing money while finishing 2nd and 3rd a couple of years back and if Hutchison dropping us like a stone forces us to live entirely within our means, I'm 100% behind those left to run the club.

We've all heard "give youth a chance" being trotted out by every manager of every club over the years but as far as I can see, it's mainly when money is tight and there is no other option that it actually happens. If a tighter budget means that we need to rely on homegrown players stepping up, then I'm happy to see it and I can live with the downsides of doing that (eg, inconsistency) 

We've been budgeting for 10th for years now. If you have the right manager for it (which you probably do as, like Wright, McGhee has worked with restricted budgets before), it shouldn't matter too much.

Well have a solid looking squad with a  few wildcards as it is - trim the fat a bit and you should be good to go. Surprised you're cutting the budget the year sponsorship/away supports are going to go up though?

It's good to hear some sense being spoken, we went a fair bit of the rails with Baraclough in charge and signing players like they didn't care how much it cost.

Fingers crossed though if a player or 2 is sold for some cash they can reinvest it in the squad. We need to be giving youth a chance but it won't work if we just chuck in a team of youngsters with no experience to help them through. What McGhee has done with hall and cadden this year is an example of how it should be done, same can be said for Hutchinson and Craigen.

We've been budgeting for 10th for years now. If you have the right manager for it (which you probably do as, like Wright, McGhee has worked with restricted budgets before), it shouldn't matter too much.

Well have a solid looking squad with a  few wildcards as it is - trim the fat a bit and you should be good to go. Surprised you're cutting the budget the year sponsorship/away supports are going to go up though?

Sponsorship doesn't change till season after next though.

See McGhee's in the paper today confirming that he's got no intention of signing El-Bakhtaoui because 'we don't need him', on the assumption that he feels McDonald is likely to stay.

So does that mean McGhee's planning on going with Moult, McDonald, Moore and Mackin as our forward options for next season?

Also Moore, Samson and Ferguson have signed up for next season.

Edited by Casagolda

Samson signing would indicate that he will be first choice, no?

I'd have said so, though the fact we've released Brett Long would suggest we'd be looking at bringing in another goalkeeper anyway.

So that's Samson, Ferguson and Moore all extended as have Jack McMillan and Ross MacLean.

http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2016/05/26/trio-agree-contract-extensions/

See McGhee's in the paper today confirming that he's got no intention of signing El-Bakhtaoui because 'we don't need him', on the assumption that he feels McDonald is likely to stay.

So does that mean McGhee's planning on going with Moult, McDonald, Moore and Mackin as our forward options for next season?

Also Moore, Samson and Ferguson have signed up for next season.

The El-Bakhtaoui rumour was never going to become reality. It was out far too early in the close season. It just smacked of an agent trying to encourage a bit of a bidding war.

The El-Bakhtaoui rumour was never going to become reality. It was out far too early in the close season. It just smacked of an agent trying to encourage a bit of a bidding war.

I know, I said the exact same thing the other week on last seasons thread when it all came about.

It was more the whole, we don't need another striker thing if Skippy re-signed I was intrigued by. Lot of faith being shown in Moore and Mackin if true.

I can see Mackin being loaned out if im honest, could probably see us perhaps bringing in another striker on loan or something to provide competition for Moult, McDonald and Moore.  But its a wee bit of good news for a change as well, hopefully we can hear a few more being signed up next week.

I know, I said the exact same thing the other week on last seasons thread when it all came about.

It was more the whole, we don't need another striker thing if Skippy re-signed I was intrigued by. Lot of faith being shown in Moore and Mackin if true.

If it was up to me I'd have Moult & McDonald as my main strikers, Johnson in his free-roaming attacking role, and Moore +1 in reserve. As opposed to last year when we had 400 strikers on the books, including Theo Robinson. <_<

Considering we went through pre-season last year with the prospect of the bold Dan Twardzik as our first choice I'm kind of fine with Samson signing. He didn't do much wrong in the 2 games he played last season and any time I saw him for the 20s his experience seemed to be a plus point. In the context of the extent of our scaling back on budget this season I'd have thought he'd be as good an option as we could get as far as experience goes. 

On Mackin, has he signed his deal as well? I only saw McMillan and Maclean mentioned.

Realistically I'd have have thought we'd be looking at loaning out Mackin as well. It took him a while to get his first goal for Airdrie and I think he'd probably benefit from getting regular first team games, much in the same way Moore had. I'd imagine that we'd be aiming for +1 to add to Moult, Moore and (hopefully) McDonald.