Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

Aye but we should just recruit from the lower leagues in Scotland.

I'm sure we will have a scout who will go and watch games up here and recommend players, its then up to Robinson to decide whether he fancies them or go for ones from down south which has been a slightly more successful route for us although there's been a few dodgy ones in there as well.

40 minutes ago, Del_Superwell said:

I'm sure we will have a scout who will go and watch games up here and recommend players, its then up to Robinson to decide whether he fancies them or go for ones from down south which has been a slightly more successful route for us although there's been a few dodgy ones in there as well.

In fairness I think there's a fair amount of sarcasm on thisGRAEME's part there. I'm probably paraphrasing one of his earlier posts but it's actually quite remarkable that people genuinely think that if there was a Louis Moult or a Marvin Johnson cutting about in the seaside leagues here that 1) we wouldn't know about them (everyone in Scotland would know about them) and 2) we wouldn't be interested because we only recruit from the lower leagues in England.

We had an offer on the table for El Bahktaoui but *according to McGhee* the money his agent was after made it prohibitive as it rendered it a straight choice between him and McDonald. Personally I'd say we chose wisely when faced with that particular dilemma. I've said it before but the lack of perspective from sections of our support is actually breathtaking at times.

On 24/03/2017 at 08:06, capt_oats said:

I'd guess some folk are looking at it with the view that he (like Laing) was somehow forced/frozen out by McGhee and are desperate to be raging about it.

He's gone now but some folk won't let it go even now.  McGhee will be getting the blame for everything that happens at the club for the next couple of seasons. 

The animosity to the guy is incredible and taken to a completely irrational and disgusting level.

We are bordering on a Billy Davies era supporter melt down.  People have lost their heads. 

I note Kennedy was an unused substitute in AFC Fylde's 4-1 loss to Nuneaton on Saturday. I also picked up on something their manager said when he signed last week that seemed peculiar (though not really considering his injury history) but it's definitely one for the conspiracy theorists around Fir Park;

"With him it's also a case of having one eye on next season. He's been training by himself for the last couple of months so it may take him a little while to get up to speed."

http://www.afcfylde.co.uk/challinor-pleased-late-deals/

3 hours ago, capt_oats said:

I note Kennedy was an unused substitute in AFC Fylde's 4-1 loss to Nuneaton on Saturday. I also picked up on something their manager said when he signed last week that seemed peculiar (though not really considering his injury history) but it's definitely one for the conspiracy theorists around Fir Park;

"With him it's also a case of having one eye on next season. He's been training by himself for the last couple of months so it may take him a little while to get up to speed."

http://www.afcfylde.co.uk/challinor-pleased-late-deals/

Get your tin foil hats on, boys. We've got a conspiracy on our hands. 

giphy.gif

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/3208545/marvin-johnson-manchester-city-leicester-oxford/?CMP=Spklr-_-Editorial-_-TheSunFootball-_-Football-_-FBLink-_-Statement-_-FBPAGE

Rather bizarre rumour in the Sun tonight that Leicester and Man City have been among 30 scouts watching Marvin Johnson!

Possibly reading a bit much into it but Bowman fair seemed to be getting stuck into McGhee today at his press conference, with little provocation. He's definitely been showing signs that there's a player in there somewhere but bar the first Accies game he hadn't done much until recently to merit a starting berth. Honestly I don't have much of an opinion either way but I found it interesting as generally all the other players I've heard have spoke pretty positively of McGhee.

19 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Possibly reading a bit much into it but Bowman fair seemed to be getting stuck into McGhee today at his press conference, with little provocation. He's definitely been showing signs that there's a player in there somewhere but bar the first Accies game he hadn't done much until recently to merit a starting berth. Honestly I don't have much of an opinion either way but I found it interesting as generally all the other players I've heard have spoke pretty positively of McGhee.

Just had a watch of his interview there. Seems pretty understandable from his perspective tbh. He was brought to the club, didn't exactly hit the ground running and was seemingly binned out the team after a handful of games. When McGhee brought him back he just seemed to be getting chucked out on to the park. I'm not surprised there's a bit of frustration on his part.

Whether it's a case of him just not showing the standards McGhee was expecting IDK. There was that comment in a post-match interview ages ago about how McGhee felt that it was up to Bowman & Blyth to match the levels shown by Moult and McDonald to justify them being picked (post-County at Fir Park actually), that echoed a similar comments he made last season re: Laing & Kennedy and having had issues with their attitude and I guess the oft-speculated on Ainsworth issues.

One thing that did seem curious to me after the past few games was that when McGhee brought him in he suggested that Bowman would allow is to play the 433 he wanted to play, essentially saying that Bowman, Moult and McDonald would be his first pick front 3. He seemed to ditch that very quickly, what seems interesting is that after only a handful of games Bowman, Moult and McDonald now seem to be establishing themselves as viable options for Robinson, having seemingly been written off by McGhee however that seems to have come about as a result of circumstance and having had to change the shape to pretty much a 343/3412 given the players he's had available.

What's been happening with Ainsworth this season? coupla year ago seemed one of best players from a non regular mwell viewer point of view anyway but doesn't seem to be involved as much this year

Depends who you ask really.

It's fair to say that he's not been involved much this season, however the flip of that is that when he has been given the opportunity he's not really made an impact. He had a smashing game against County in the 4-1 win but was hooked after an hour the following week in the 2-0 loss at Dens. He was tried as a 2nd striker against Hearts at Fir Park, was subbed off after 55 mins and was benched or not in the squad for the next 5 games (he eventually got 8 mins off the bench against St Johnstone).

He's made 24 appearances in the league this season, which is more than you'd think but 16 of those have been off the bench and 10 of those 16 have been for less than 20 mins.

There's a general school of thought that McGhee froze him out especially after Ainsworth's public breakdown in front of the press after the 1-0 loss at Firhill last season but that conveniently overlooks the fact that both McCall and Baraclough benched him for spells. He gave an interview to the press back in December talking about wanting to impress to earn a new contract as his current one is up this year but since then he's barely featured. There's been fairly consistent speculation that the club have been looking to offload him over the past couple of transfer windows, I think County were mentioned last summer.

Saturday 29th April (3pm KO): vs Dundee (H)

Saturday 6th May (3pm KO) vs Ross County (H)

Saturday 13th May (3pm KO) vs Hamilton (A)

Tuesday 16th May (7.45pm KO) vs Kilmarnock (H)

Saturday 20th May (3pm KO) vs Inverness CT (A)