League Expansion: Which Clubs?

I disagree, and plenty high scoring games would suggest otherwise. Possibly our championship season with Hartley because we had to sit back and only hit on the counter or we would have been totally punished by some teams.

Aye, those complaints came entirely from Hartley's spell in the Championship.

He was right, as I thought we were much more pleasing to watch under Barry Smith, but it didn't do us much good in the league.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back to the main question, "League Expansion", it is my view that a modest but significant change is required:

Format.......

Premier - 12 clubs

Championship - 16 clubs

Division One - 16 clubs

(Division 2 discontinued)

Total number of additional clubs required : 2  (by promoting the Highland & Lowland champions automatically next season, with no relegation for one year)

Automatically relegate the team finishing 16th in Division One, replaced by the Highland/Lowland play-off winners, each season thereafter.

Advantages.........

30 games per season is ideal as it reduces the number of expensive mid week games (+ less demanding on part time players).

Gets rid of the need to play 4 league games per season against the same clubs, which is boring and unpopular with most fans.

Gives a better incentive for non-league clubs, with one AUTOMATIC promotion place guaranteed each season.

Makes it easier for relegated SPFL clubs to regain their former league status.

3 up/3 down between Championship & Division One, with playoffs retained.

And minimum disruption to the existing "pyramid"

Back to the main question, "League Expansion", it is my view that a modest but significant change is required:

Format.......

Premier - 12 clubs

Championship - 16 clubs

Division One - 16 clubs

(Division 2 discontinued)

Total number of additional clubs required : 2  (by promoting the Highland & Lowland champions automatically next season, with no relegation for one year)

Automatically relegate the team finishing 16th in Division One, replaced by the Highland/Lowland play-off winners, each season thereafter.

Advantages.........

30 games per season is ideal as it reduces the number of expensive mid week games (+ less demanding on part time players).

Gets rid of the need to play 4 league games per season against the same clubs, which is boring and unpopular with most fans.

Gives a better incentive for non-league clubs, with one AUTOMATIC promotion place guaranteed each season.

Makes it easier for relegated SPFL clubs to regain their former league status.

3 up/3 down between Championship & Division One, with playoffs retained.

And minimum disruption to the existing "pyramid"

Sounds appealing but probably a non-starter due to financial reasons (real or perceived)  - and wouldn't your top tier require teams to play x4? 

• 5 months later...

I think that all the teams mentioed should ask to get in the Premiership straight away. Then when it doesn't happen sulk and become bitter & twisted and claim the decision had nothing to do with "football reasons" then grudgingly accept they will just have to start in Division 1 instead only to blame SFA corruption for them not getting to do this either. 

They then carry a massive chip on their shoulder and threaten to starve us of their colour of pound.

Archived