Offensive Behaviour at Football Act cave in.

Glenconner

17 hours ago, mjw said:

Is there any other sport that would require a specific law? I'm struggling to think of any where bigotry and being offensive is part of the day out.

Orange order/republican marches??

Not a sport obviously before some pedant pipes up but my point is that it doesn't matter what where the actions occur, the penalty should be the same. How many other laws are specific to one section of the population?

The law is meant to be equal and fair across the population so if they bring a law in outlawing offensive behaviour then I wouldn't have as much of a problem with it.

Edited by Suspect Device

1 hour ago, Baxter Parp said:

'Cos that's where a lot of untrammelled  bigotry is.

So?

Bigotry is bigotry. If you have a law that targets it in general, that subsumes the targeting of it inside football grounds. Or on street corners. Or...

16 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

How was that law doing?

Not a clue. But it's irrelevant anyway.

The solution to not enforcing an existing law isn't to create new laws that are subsumed by it. You should instead (and this might sound like a radical idea) actually enforce that existing law. 

10 hours ago, Jeff Venom said:

And filed under what? Anyone watch the recent OF game? I take the "minority" clearly audible on tv singing "f**k the pope and IRA" were all arrested and charged, yeah?

Errr... Precisely

The relatively small proportion of charges under the "Religion" category suggest that in practice this act isn't about sectarian bigoted arseholes but arseholes at the football in general.

Veering off, as many are, into discussions on sectarianism in other aspects of West of Scotland society is something of a red herring 

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

15 minutes ago, The Master said:

Not a clue. But it's irrelevant anyway.

The solution to not enforcing an existing law isn't to create new laws that are subsumed by it. You should instead (and this might sound like a radical idea) actually enforce that existing law. 

Well, If I recall correctly, the fans thought they could get away with whatever behaviour they wanted barring mass violence.  Something had to be done and I'm happy with the outcome.  As are most Scots.

2 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

Well, If I recall correctly, the fans thought they could get away with whatever behaviour they wanted barring mass violence.  Something had to be done and I'm happy with the outcome.  As are most Scots.

Ah, politician's logic. 

Something has to be done; this is something; therefore this should be done. 

38 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

I would have to agree with this.  The behaviour of fans was spiralling out of control at the time (egged on by players and even managers) - the Neil Lennon bullets through the post incident was a real highlight.  Having specific legislation made it clear to fans that they did not have carte blance to act however they pleased, and it seemed to work pretty well (although Rangers and Celtic fans being separated by  other circumstances certainly must have helped).

I generally wouldn't mind the act being repealed, provided the police started using the breach of the peace powers in identical fashion.  I guess there would also have to be new legislation to cover the threatening communications issue for which there is no direct replacement already in place.  The main concern I have though is that repeal will be seen by certain sections of society as a green light to revert to their previous behaviour.

22 minutes ago, Crossbill said:

I would have to agree with this.  The behaviour of fans was spiralling out of control at the time (egged on by players and even managers) - the Neil Lennon bullets through the post incident was a real highlight.  Having specific legislation made it clear to fans that they did not have carte blance to act however they pleased, and it seemed to work pretty well (although Rangers and Celtic fans being separated by  other circumstances certainly must have helped).

I generally wouldn't mind the act being repealed, provided the police started using the breach of the peace powers in identical fashion.  I guess there would also have to be new legislation to cover the threatening communications issue for which there is no direct replacement already in place.  The main concern I have though is that repeal will be seen by certain sections of society as a green light to revert to their previous behaviour.

Have you been to a game involving the OF recently? Not much has changed. 

As for the few very extreme examples of bullets and bomb threats, they were dealt with using other existing laws. I'd also disagree with your comment that it was spiralling out of control. The event that sparked this was a wee spat between McCoist and Lennon. The number of arrests is far lower than I remember from the 70s/80s. That's not to say there's not a problem. It's just exaggerated into hysterics by the media and politicians. That is why the general public (or 80% of them) still think that every football match is a hotbed of bigotry and offensive behaviour. We can see that with the complaints about Aberdeen's new stadium. The locals reckon they will be descended on by ****, Vandals and Visigoths every 2nd week.

Just now, Baxter Parp said:

What should be done then?

Strict liability.

The SFA should grow a pair and start taking points off the teams when they start their religious bigotry/pro IRA shite. Fines are no use as the Celtic list of fines from UEFA has shown. They would have to have a list of unacceptable behaviour written up before the season and agreed to by the teams. If they do not agree, they do not get to play in the league.

That's for football alone and would negate the need for a discriminatory law.