Queen's Park FC 2016/17 Thread

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paul woods who has been with us for 3 years and one of our better players shows frustration at being substituted not the worst thing .
He says sorry next day that is accepted but is still shown the door . Surely it's the managers job to put the best team on the park the action taken by the club seems a bit extreme for a player who has been with us for this length of time .
Hope we don't regret it .

I think a bust up is one thing, tensions run high and robust opinions will be expressed. However, leaving during a game is a completely different matter. We win as a team and lose as a team. Storming off during a game, failing to support your team-mates and removing yourself from the team situation on a match day is wholly unacceptable. I am really sorry that it's ended this way, but you just can't have that. Absolutely no ill feeling towards Paul Woods, who has been magnificent for us, but the manager has to put the foot down in a situation like this. 

Could not agree with you more bobthespider. Showing frustration is not the worst thing and he isn't the first player to do it. He apologised. Been at the club for nearly 3 seasons and he's out? Ridiculous decision I think. Look at Millar, he got subbed and went and watched the game in the stand with his mates and wasn't shown the door (fair enough he was at a later date following another bust up!). Surely he could have been suspended for a week or two but shown the door after the contribution made since he joined? Unbelievable IMO. 

We have a squad of 19 four of which are on loan if they are asked to play for their clubs on a Friday they are not available to us on a Saturday yet we let someone who is a major player for us and has said he is gutted go .The decision by Gus is bizarre. After the season ends we will have 15 players some will no doubt leave and this means another huge rebuilding job .

1 hour ago, AllanM said:

Could not agree with you more bobthespider. Showing frustration is not the worst thing and he isn't the first player to do it. He apologised. Been at the club for nearly 3 seasons and he's out? Ridiculous decision I think. Look at Millar, he got subbed and went and watched the game in the stand with his mates and wasn't shown the door (fair enough he was at a later date following another bust up!). Surely he could have been suspended for a week or two but shown the door after the contribution made since he joined? Unbelievable IMO. 

Miller was suspended for the rest of the season following that incident which was effectively being shown the door. At the end of that season he left. Of course Gus re-signed him for this season only be let down again. 

You would think Paul would learn a lesson from the Miller incidents. He's not a daft wee lad and should know not to cross the manager. His actions were a joke. Total disrespect for his team mates and the fans, who travelled to Brechin midweek and stayed until the end to support the team. Nobody truly knows what happened when they met to discuss the incident, this paper story is only Paul's side of it.

Very disappointing that this has happened but you can't players acting like that. Better managers than Gus have ditched better players than Paul after similar antics. We got another good result against the league leaders on Saturday without him so time for everyone to concentrate on getting behind the players that are still here. I think the manager's record since he was appointed means we should back his judgement.. well I back him 100% anyway 

2 hours ago, AllanM said:

My 'source' says it was Gus that made the decision and not the club. 

Good. As it should be. I'd be worried if the committee got involved in team matters 

7 minutes ago, Mick1867 said:

Miller was suspended for the rest of the season following that incident which was effectively being shown the door. At the end of that season he left. Of course Gus re-signed him for this season only be let down again. 

You would think Paul would learn a lesson from the Miller incidents. He's not a daft wee lad and should know not to cross the manager. His actions were a joke. Total disrespect for his team mates and the fans, who travelled to Brechin midweek and stayed until the end to support the team. Nobody truly knows what happened when they met to discuss the incident, this paper story is only Paul's side of it.

Very disappointing that this has happened but you can't players acting like that. Better managers than Gus have ditched better players than Paul after similar antics. We got another good result against the league leaders on Saturday without him so time for everyone to concentrate on getting behind the players that are still here. I think the manager's record since he was appointed means we should back his judgement.. well I back him 100% anyway 

Totally agree with all of this.

Exactly, Millar was given a second chance. Would have thought Gus would have done the same. 

I imagine there's other players who have done the same yet not been shown the door. I don't just mean at QP. 

Heard some committee aren't happy with the decision. 

Just seems a bit drastic. Thought given he has been a player for a few years and the contribution made, he would have been given a second chance. Anyway, not to be. 

I'm not happy that Woods has gone. I'm not happy that he appears to have expressed regret but it wasn't enough for Gus. I'm not happy that our squad has diminished as a result. I'm not happy that an already splintered committee has another issue they are divided on.

However I'm happy that the decision was Gus's and Gus's alone, and I fully respect and trust his judgement as we have only heard one side of the story and a manager should never be put in the position where his authority is diminished. Gus may or may not have made the right decision, only time will tell, but given his track record with us he has more than earned the the benefit of any doubt and at such a critical time of the season it would be disappointing if he didn't continue to have our backing, whatever our personal feelings on the matter.

Let's not forget that Miller's "second chance" came over a year after Gus originally booted him out so he wasn't forgiven for that incident at the time.

re Boab's post about squad size. We've never previously had that large a squad under Gus but this season we started off with a big squad as he signed up a lot of new players thinking that more of last season's squad would leave. Of course we were all pleasantly surprised at the number we retained. Very hard to keep every player happy and involved in such circumstances so he's had no choice but to put some out of loan and release others who were unhappy at not getting a game. Murphy of course stormed out in a huff but nobody could have foreseen Muir returning like he did 

I'll worry about next season after this one is finished but tell me a QP manager who hasn't had to re-build the squad at some time. He did a pretty good job of this before

http://www.queensparkfc.co.uk/?p=3331

Club saying Woods left by mutual consent, thanking him for his service, and wishing him all the best

Surprise, surprise, he's now signed for East Kilbride ( where he was probably going to next season anyway) mmmmm...    

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/east-kilbride-fc-sign-paul-9981988

I have been told from someone close to the club that it was not mutual, Gus told him to go. Funny how the club have said this when its known between the players and some in the committee that it was one sided! 

Why would have he been going to EK next year? That you assuming again Mick? I thought he would have stayed on at QP. Was a player/member. 

Allan, with all respect to how much you appear to be hurting over this, unless you are a personal friend of Paul's then every piece of information you have a bout this is second-hand (at best), and who knows what hidden agendas your sources may or may not have? I share your disappointment over Woods' departrure but Gus is paid by the Club to make difficult decisions. He sees the players in training, he knows who's influential in the dressing room, and he gets to decide what's best to maintain overall harmony. For all I know Paul may have been the hardest trainer, everybody's pal and and an all round good guy, so if Gus felt he had to make an example of him to keep others in check then he can count himself unlucky.

The bottom line is that without knowing ALL the facts, do you not accept that Gus has done what he genuinely believes is best for the team, or do you really think he has made this personal (bearing in mind that he accepted the apology, and that his job and reputation are on the line if he's got this badly wrong and the rest of the season goes pear-shaped)?

I am not a personal friend but my friend works with a player. No hidden agendas. To say I am hurting is a bit much (haha), just think it's a really crap decision. I think you could be right and he has just been unlucky. Fingers crossed we can press on. 

Let's not forget that Miller's "second chance" came over a year after Gus originally booted him out so he wasn't forgiven for that incident at the time.
re Boab's post about squad size. We've never previously had that large a squad under Gus but this season we started off with a big squad as he signed up a lot of new players thinking that more of last season's squad would leave. Of course we were all pleasantly surprised at the number we retained. Very hard to keep every player happy and involved in such circumstances so he's had no choice but to put some out of loan and release others who were unhappy at not getting a game. Murphy of course stormed out in a huff but nobody could have foreseen Muir returning like he did 
I'll worry about next season after this one is finished but tell me a QP manager who hasn't had to re-build the squad at some time. He did a pretty good job of this before

Just wondering how second hand your information is, you say "Murphy of course stormed out in the huff", is that fact?

2 hours ago, AllanM said:

That you assuming again Mick? 

Assuming again? What did I assume before? Like yourself, I post what I hear from what I consider to be good sources. 

Archived