Squads for France & Italy

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I give up. I really don't see the problem with it at all. I think it's great personally.

The more of our better youngsters (which again he clearly is) in there the better for me. Couldn't give a f**k if he was at Hibs or Partick Thistle tbh. Big fucking deal.

Scottish fitba fans are up in arms aboot sevco players in the squad, talk of boycotts....

The only talk of boycotts are from your crowd who are up in arms that Scottish players have accepted a call up to the national team and not down right refused it.  Obviously going against the sevco cause

quite happy with most if the squad. glad to see oli Burke in again. I reckon he might have a big future.

only irks are

- the celtic players being left out. I don't like how Strachan feels he has to have some sort of story to go with each squad (resting celtic players this time, giving guys time on the pitch before etc etc) as he only ever ends up contradicting himself over it

- martin might well be good in an attacking derby side but it's quite clear he offers nothing in a backs to the wall scotland setup. I actually feel a bit sorry for him as im not sure what Strachan expects him to do for us (score goals obviously, but he's so off the pace he's hardly even got on the ball in the caps he's had)

To be fair though, if there's a specific reason why he hasn't called up players from the best club in Scotland, then he absolutely should be saying that.  Look at the way this topic started, with people questioning why no Aberdeen players, no Griffiths.  Sure he can sometimes talk too much, but surely that's better than just putting out the squad and sitting back.  That's what Levein would've done.

If he's going to continue calling up Martin, then he needs to be given more than just the last five minutes when we need something.  Has he started for us yet?  Give him a start, or at least a good spell of a game and see what he does then.  He obviously sees something in him - he's doing well enough for Derby - but to then just throw him on for lost causes isn't going to endear him to anone.

Nobody else in the same bracket as him who should've got the call, because the Scottish Championship is never, ever, ever a place where we should be judging players for a call up. It doesn't matter if he plays for Alloa or Rangers, if you're at that level you simply cannot expect to be called up. Wallace is a different case as he's already proven himself as one of the best full backs in the Country, McGinn and McKay have never even stood out in the Premiership up here. Its absolutely shite they've been called up and its based purely on who they play for. 

I kind of agree, but if you're good enough, I don't think the level should matter.  But it's a circular argument - if you're really that good, you're very unlikely to be playing in the Championship.  Say there was a very highly rated young player who started his career out at, Raith Rovers let's say.  He's had offers to go elsewhere, but wants to stick it out with first team football there before he eventually moves.  I'd be happy enough with him being called up, as he would have the quality to be a star. 

But then that's pie in the sky stuff.  There's unlikely to be many called up from the Championship because there isn't anyone really good enough.

If one of our best young Scottish players was at Raith Rovers I wouldn't have any problem with that either. The only reason one of our best young players is in the Championship is because Hibs will have one of the bigger budgets in the country.

Exactly.  Basically I wouldn't want to put any sort of cap on where you need to be playing before you get picked.  Purely quality and fit for the squad.  While it's not going to happen, I don't particularly care if we put out a squad containing 23 players from an Old Firm and Championship select as long as they perform and win games.

Exactly.  Basically I wouldn't want to put any sort of cap on where you need to be playing before you get picked.  Purely quality and fit for the squad.  While it's not going to happen, I don't particularly care if we put out a squad containing 23 players from an Old Firm and Championship select as long as they perform and win games.

Spot on who gives a f**k who they play with or at what level.  As long as they show up and it improves us as a team and hopefully we can go to a tournament one day again :)

We'll win/draw both as Scott Bain will keep two clean sheets.

Surely this c**t Caulker must realise he's not going to make it consistently in this England squad? He's 25 in December and there's about 6/7 players ahead of him.

If one of our best young Scottish players was at Raith Rovers I wouldn't have any problem with that either. The only reason one of our best young players is in the Championship is because Hibs will have one of the bigger budgets in the country.

John McGinn is not one of Scotland's best young players. That's the point.

Any suggestions to play right back other than Hutton. Possibly Bardsley, does he even get a game at Stoke?

The only other players I'd feel comfortable with is Whittaker and Bardsley. Whittaker is solid but unspectacular.

Bardsley has went right off the radar. He has played the last 5 games for Stoke, only making 16 appearances this season. Either he has been injured or Hughes doesn't fancy him. Then again Bardsley is 30, hardly one for the future too.

http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/index.php?/topic/295445-wallace-and-mckay-called-up-to-scotland-squd/

Give that a read :lol: they're fucking deluded.

The only other players I'd feel comfortable with is Whittaker and Bardsley. Whittaker is solid but unspectacular.

Bardsley has went right off the radar. He has played the last 5 games for Stoke, only making 16 appearances this season. Either he has been injured or Hughes doesn't fancy him. Then again Bardsley is 30, hardly one for the future too.

Glen Johnson got injured and Bardsley had been filling in for him. Presumably he'll be back on the bench when Johnson is fit again.

Overriding argument seems to be "he's rested Celtic players because they have Europe, but so could we."  Operative word being "could".  I imagine if they do win the cup, they'd be well within their rights to withdraw their players too, as Celtic have done.  Always the same with the fan only boards - there's a few sensible ones in there making decent points, but they're drowned out by the zoomers.

The best however is constantly parading the tweets made by Kerrydale Meltdown (@KerryFail) which just by looking at the name, is clearly a parody account.

http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/index.php?/topic/295445-wallace-and-mckay-called-up-to-scotland-squd/

Give that a read :lol: they're fucking deluded.

Glen Johnson got injured and Bardsley had been filling in for him. Presumably he'll be back on the bench when Johnson is fit again.

That explains that then. I'm assuming Pullis signed him before Hughes came in?

So our options at right back are Hutton who isn't the most popular player lets be honest, Whittaker or Bardsley who have barley got what 25-30 appearances between them this season? Our younger option is Paterson who folk on here who want him to get a chance. 

It's looking quite grim for that position. Suppose we could switch Martin to right back when Caulker switches over to us  :wub: .

Surely this c**t Caulker must realise he's not going to make it consistently in this England squad? He's 25 in December and there's about 6/7 players ahead of him.

Caulker would be a good addition in terms of his ability, physique etc, but I'd hate to disrupt the squad with another Dom Matteo type (someone who was clearly holding out for an England cap for years then decided 'Ah, f*ck it, might as well bag a few caps for the sweaties').

Caulker would be a good addition in terms of his ability, physique etc, but I'd hate to disrupt the squad with another Dom Matteo type (someone who was clearly holding out for an England cap for years then decided 'Ah, f*ck it, might as well bag a few caps for the sweaties').

Who are we going to upset though? Mark Reynolds? Charlie Mulgrew? F'ck it, he's what we are crying out for.

Difference was back then we had decent defenders, we can't be too choosy these days.

That explains that then. I'm assuming Pullis signed him before Hughes came in?

So our options at right back are Hutton who isn't the most popular player lets be honest, Whittaker or Bardsley who have barley got what 25-30 appearances between them this season? Our younger option is Paterson who folk on here who want him to get a chance.

It's looking quite grim for that position. Suppose we could switch Martin to right back when Caulker switches over to us :wub: .

Hughes actually signed him by the looks of it but he's hardly played this season since Johnson signed. Hutton is probably still our best option but I wouldn't mind Paterson being given a chance in a friendly.

Would rip your arm off for Caulker.

If I had to chose between Gordon FFIN Greer, Berra, Reynolds and Caulker I would take Caulker any day of the week but only if he is playing for someone, lad needs to get a better agent and get playing!!

As for Hutton I would honestly rather play with 10 than see him get another campaign as first choice.

Archived