Squads for France & Italy

Here's a mad shout

Jordan Rhodes doesn't get picked because he "doesn't fit Gordon Stachan's system of play"

When you've got a forward of the calibre of Rhodes, surely you try to amend your style/system of play to incorporate him. I've never heard Chris Coleman say anything about Bale. Because he amended his tactics to suit the best players available to him.

Why don't Scotland do the same? Since everything thing else hasn't worked.

Is this a serious question?

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a mad shout

Jordan Rhodes doesn't get picked because he "doesn't fit Gordon Stachan's system of play"

When you've got a forward of the calibre of Rhodes, surely you try to amend your style/system of play to incorporate him. I've never heard Chris Coleman say anything about Bale. Because he amended his tactics to suit the best players available to him.

I like Rhodes and would absolutely have him in every squad but he's not good enough to amend our formation and style of play for to suit him. Bale is world class and fits the way Wales play, he's lethal on the counter attack.

Marr 1 fabulous shout indeed however that would require Strachan and his band of footballing dinosaur coaches to think outside the box........Not saying Rhodes is in the Bale mould but he is certainly a cut above garbage like Chris Martin

And a cut below other options who don't require us to change the way we play entirely.  I would always have him in the squad, but as Marshmallo says, he just isn't good enough to be worthy of that

forameus tbh I do not actually disagree with you there but to not even include him in squads is perhaps the most scandalous aspect of it all when we are not exactly awash with Strikers who score goals regularly..What happens if he goes into the English Prem and scores for fun there, same with McCormack?

There's 200+ national teams in the world, we're comfortably above average.

Yeah spot on.

I personally just meant in a European sense seeing as it's the only level we've played at competitively for years. We're in a big bunch of teams along with your Denmarks/Czechs/Norways/Irelands etc that are just ok and no better. Slightly better than your Georgia's and Macedonias, a lot better than the cannon fodder obviously and way off the top teams but probably able to nick a result. Your Polands/Swedens/Icelands/Wales/Switzerlands probably just a level above at the moment too.

8-10 elite countries, your France's/England's/Spain's/Germany/Italy/Belgium/Netherlands/Portugals.

Group of countries not as good as that but better than the rest just now, Croatias/Swedens/Austria/Switzerlands/Poland/Russia/Serbia/Wales/Iceland.

Then a whole load of teams that are pretty average, Us/Ireland/Slovenia/Slovakia/Czech Republic/Norway/Bulgaria/Romania/Hungary/Greece etc.

The ones that are probably below average, Norn Irn/Georgia/Lithuania/Belarus/Latvia/Finland/Moldova/Estonia etc.

Then the utter shite, Gibraltar/Faroes/San Marino/Liechtensteins etc.

Just my opinion, I think we're a couple of really good players away from getting into the 2nd group of teams. Obviously never be in the elite.

We're about our level but could be doing better.

Matt Ritchie is about the only player we have in the mid 20s group who seems to look comfortable at international level and also looks capable of creating as well as being one of our main prospects of a goal

And he is English 🙄

Here's a mad shout

Here's a mad shout

Because Bales one of the best players in World football while Rhodes is a lower league striker who's offered nothing for Scotland outwith goals v Australia.

Guest DAVIDB69

So out of 5 tiers we are 3. Out of those teams you have mentioned 6 of them I think are in the euros. :-(. Again like I said I think we are just below average (them) because it seems that average teams can get to the euros. How much faith do we have that this average team of ours will get to the world cup?

We seem to be the 27th ranked nation of 53 UEFA countries according to FIFA at the moment.

So we are below average and we are probably still a pot four team

So out of 5 tiers we are 3. Out of those teams you have mentioned 6 of them I think are in the euros. :-(. Again like I said I think we are just below average (them) because it seems that average teams can get to the euros. How much faith do we have that this average team of ours will get to the world cup?

Probably going over old ground again and going in circles but in a group like ours we had no room for errors, the result against Georgia undone all the hard work that we put in to the first half of the group. Add in the fact Ireland and Poland took unexpected points off Germany (fair play to them!) it made our point in Dublin not enough when at the time it was, assuming we won in Georgia. We weren't good enough, the group table doesn't lie but it was a really tight group.

We don't have much chance of qualifying for the World Cup, England will stroll it and I think Slovakia will get 2nd place with a bit to spare. Our best chance of qualification will be for the Euros, which is why I thought at the time of GS's contract renewal whoever the manager is needs to get the next 2 campaigns because the odds are stacked against us for qualifying for the World Cup. Although the league of nations thing seems to be a bit of a ball buster, will be interesting to see how easy it is to qualify for the Euros when that is introduced.

Strachan has brought us back to where we should be, he has swept up the mess left by Burley and Levein but he needs to prove he can take us further. 

We are a hard working team who on our team can give any team in the world a game (if some of the elite have an off day) but we need every player to play at their best for that to happen or results like Georgia can happen.

Look at the level our players are playing at, lower end EPL to Championship and Scottish Premiership with next to no European competition. Like it or not we need our big clubs like Rangers and Celtic to be producing young Scots who can then get a chance at playing in Europe and gain experience against International quality players so when they play for their country it becomes natural for them. On the other hand if the Old Firm were to be playing Champions League football thats just more sweetie money for them to blow on foreign duds.

We seem to be the 27th ranked nation of 53 UEFA countries according to FIFA at the moment.

Aye but the Fifa rankings are a total waste of time.

27th out of 53 isn't below average. It's exactly bang in the middle, meaning that it's totally average.

Iceland? Iceland have a very good team. They're much better than we are.

Also we never took Georgia for granted, if anything we let the importance of it get to our head to much and shat the bed.

It's always the same stuff people say but like I said earlier the reality is were an average team that needs to be near enough perfect to qualify. If we'd gotten over the line on 2/3/4 occasions, which we've come very close to, then I doubt we'd think the situation was as bad as some are making out now.

Archived