Squads for France & Italy

Leaving out Shinnie & McLean, yet including Barrie McKay is an absolute farce. 

If we are to improve as a country, we need to select players based on performance and merit, rather than who they play for. The culture of picking players, purely because they play in England or for the Old Firm has gotten us absolutely nowhere. 

post-44019-0-68762700-1463047388_thumb.j

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forgot to add, Alan Hutton? Known for being one of the worst players in the poorest side in EPL history? 

Mulgrew also is another shocker, as well as the omission of Griffiths. 

Strachan is a pie.

Overreaction central yet again!

For the 800th time. Alan Hutton is our best right back. End of. Despite a poor season, he's an experienced Premier League player. There isn't anyone else who plays that position consistently at the level he's at. Regardless of how much he's disliked, we will need to rely on him in the next campaign unless someone else takes off.

The rest of the squad isn't at all controversial. Strachan feels, quite rightly, that we have better options than Shinnie and he is only in the extended pool. As much as I like Shinnie, we have Robertson who is miles ahead of him and then Mulgrew who is very experienced at this level (and had a very good first half of the last campaign before injuries). Lee Wallace is very highly rated too and coming into a squad before the return to the top flight will let Strachan compare him and Shinnie to gauge what sort of level they are at.

McLean got a wee turn last time in an extended squad and I don't really see why he should be commanding a place.

Agree with the squad. Some players are in there due to Strachan allowing the Celtic boys excluding Mulgrew and perhaps McLean from Aberdeen rest ahead of their pre season starting around that time. Well that's the way I see it anyway. I think McLean would have been in there and Shinnie as well, Shinnie ahead of Wallace and McLean ahead of McGinn.

The only decision that baffles me is the exclusion of Rhodes and Martin picked ahead of him.

Leaving out Shinnie & McLean, yet including Barrie McKay is an absolute farce.

If we are to improve as a country, we need to select players based on performance and merit, rather than who they play for. The culture of picking players, purely because they play in England or for the Old Firm has gotten us absolutely nowhere.

Apart from the fact Strachan has said he's leaving Celtic & Aberdeen players out to allow them to rest ahead of their European matches.

No Rhodes is what sticks out here for me. Chris Martin (6 goals in his last 24) seems to be in every squad regardless of how utterly dismal he's been every time he's played for us. There's a distinct lack of Celtic/Don's players in there as well, which is mental given McKay has been given a spot, but hearing Strachan has left them out for a few weeks rest for the CL/Europa qualifiers. 

Im at a loss to what McKays done to be selected ahead of Jamie Murphy

McKay's been excellent, Murphy's season will barely have finished (in theory).

Murphy's also never a Scotland internationalist. Good player, never international level. 

Archived