Talented youth

johnnydun

Really? I don't believe you.

You say it's unfortunate Aberdeen are the nearest professional team with a youth set up, but I'd be willing to bet you'd be there quicker than a rat up a drainpipe if they came calling for your loon. Probably to give you an overinflated sense of importance over the rest of the folks in whatever little hick village you live in.

Untangle yer knickers Doris! Yes I would be happy if Aberdeen came calling for my boy, having lived in the city and shire for 27 years now I have taken in a fair few Aberdeen games over the years if I cant get down to Dens or they are playing on a different day!

I would prefer if we were closer to Dundee as my loon is a Dee and he would love to play for them im sure he will in the future but begger's cant be chooser's eh?

The hick village prefer rugby and horses so I doubt they would notice if im honest.

Thanks for the sound input though! Great help 🙂

• 6 months later...
On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 21:36, johnnydun said:

My son is 8 and a talented player. He plays in a local league but I feel he is a bit wasted there and could play at a higher level.

He is getting frustrated too as the only way the other kids can get the ball from him is to foul him.

Do any others know the best way for him to progress?

If he was good enough he would be scouted, He is obviously not what scouts up Aberdeen way are looking for

My son is 8 and a talented player. He plays in a local league but I feel he is a bit wasted there and could play at a higher level.

He is getting frustrated too as the only way the other kids can get the ball from him is to foul him.

Don't know this for definite but I am a referee and occasionally referee club academy games and am sure that the youngest teams clubs have are for kids born 2006, obviously that doesn't mean that because your son is only 8 he's not good enough but clubs may still see him as being too young.
As I said don't know for definite but the youngest we referee at is definitely 2006

On 11/05/2016 at 21:36, johnnydun said:

When I was young under 12 was as low as it went, the better 8 year olds usually found themselves in the sides back then.

On ‎11‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 21:36, johnnydun said:

There's plenty of established youth teams in the north Aberdeenshire area playing under the ADJFA - Deveronvale (Banff), Turriff United, Formartine United (Oldmeldrum/Pitmedden), Newmachar United, Insch, Colony Park (Inverurie), Kintore United, Kemnay, Westdyke (Westhill), Donside (Alford) and even Huntly themselves. A fair few on the list operate from 7/8s right up through the age groups to 19s. If you and your son are not happy where you are then I'm sure you'd be welcome at any of these teams. There's plenty of scouting and talent spotting around the ADJFA leagues so if your son is good enough he won't go unnoticed.

21 hours ago, Stu1 said:

Don't know this for definite but I am a referee and occasionally referee club academy games and am sure that the youngest teams clubs have are for kids born 2006, obviously that doesn't mean that because your son is only 8 he's not good enough but clubs may still see him as being too young.
As I said don't know for definite but the youngest we referee at is definitely 2006

I think the ADJFA organise small sided games (7 vs 7?) down to 2007s date of birth. Clubs are active below that but tends to be occasional 4 vs 4 events.

21 hours ago, ayrmad said:

When I was young under 12 was as low as it went, the better 8 year olds usually found themselves in the sides back then.

I won't make assumptions about your age but there are restrictions on playing outwith your age group these days. Can't remember the specific details but if you are interested enough I recall seeing it on the SYFA website.

4 minutes ago, Northboy said:

I won't make assumptions about your age but there are restrictions on playing outwith your age group these days. Can't remember the specific details but if you are interested enough I recall seeing it on the SYFA website.

I don't mind, I'm 50 with adult kids so I'm not really up to date with restrictions, I'd be interested to know why such restrictions are in place, as the smallest in my class I never minded playing with boys and girls 3 or 4 years older than myself.

I could even be wrong about it starting at under 12, it might just have been my team that didn't have under 10's back then.

12 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

I don't mind, I'm 50 with adult kids so I'm not really up to date with restrictions, I'd be interested to know why such restrictions are in place, as the smallest in my class I never minded playing with boys and girls 3 or 4 years older than myself.

I could even be wrong about it starting at under 12, it might just have been my team that didn't have under 10's back then.

I may be wrong, but from memory, playing 1 year above your age group is okay but playing 2 years above requires some particular permission. Also not sure if this applies across all ages or whether there is more flexibility at younger, pre competitive age groups.

I guess it's a reflection of the society we live in and what society considers suitable for development of young people personally, emotionally and in a sporting sense.

At boys club you can't play any higher than a year above.  The farce that was Karamoko Dembele playing for Celtic's under 20s however, shows that such rules aren't as stringent at pro youth.  I referee at that level and the team sheets are often more than half full of players a year younger.  The rules at pro youth don't permit players to play at a younger age group without special dispensation which is only supposed to be granted in instances where a player is just coming back from a serious injury or is significantly smaller than players at his own age

8 hours ago, paul-r-cfc said:

At boys club you can't play any higher than a year above.  The farce that was Karamoko Dembele playing for Celtic's under 20s however, shows that such rules aren't as stringent at pro youth.  I referee at that level and the team sheets are often more than half full of players a year younger.  The rules at pro youth don't permit players to play at a younger age group without special dispensation which is only supposed to be granted in instances where a player is just coming back from a serious injury or is significantly smaller than players at his own age

My understanding of boys club football is that players can play at +1 year without any issues. For +2 or more it is allowed but the team and player require dispensation - not sure how you go about this but there must be a few players that come into this category.

My understanding of boys club football is that players can play at +1 year without any issues. For +2 or more it is allowed but the team and player require dispensation - not sure how you go about this but there must be a few players that come into this category.

Generally just has to be approved by the league and hampden will generally go along with their decision

I don't think that you can play 2 years above yourself due to insurance purposes. I'm sure I've heard that only Rangers and Celtic have their own insurance, so that is how they manage it for the Pro Youth boys.

I know that before they sign pro youth, that these 2 clubs usually play 2 years above themselves. I suppose they've got to do this to get a bit of a challenge for the players!!

4 minutes ago, BTFC 2003 said:

I don't think that you can play 2 years above yourself due to insurance purposes. I'm sure I've heard that only Rangers and Celtic have their own insurance, so that is how they manage it for the Pro Youth boys.

Extract from SYFA Supplementary and Playing Rules 2016/7 ...

40. Players will be permitted to register for a club who are one age group above the player’s actual age group. A club will only be allowed to register a maximum of 5 players who are one age group below the club’s registered age group. Dispensation of the maximum 5 players may be sought by making application to the Chief Executive in writing using the SYFA Dispensation Form by the club wishing to seek dispensation giving clear and concise reasons for their application. The Chief Executive’s decision will be final and binding on all parties.

41. Players who wish to register for a club who are two or more age groups above the player’s actual age group require the permission of the Chief Executive. Application to the Chief Executive must be made in writing using the SYFA Dispensation Form by the club wishing to register the player giving clear and concise reasons for their application. The Chief Executive’s decision will be final and binding on all parties.

8 minutes ago, Northboy said:

Extract from SYFA Supplementary and Playing Rules 2016/7 ...

40. Players will be permitted to register for a club who are one age group above the player’s actual age group. A club will only be allowed to register a maximum of 5 players who are one age group below the club’s registered age group. Dispensation of the maximum 5 players may be sought by making application to the Chief Executive in writing using the SYFA Dispensation Form by the club wishing to seek dispensation giving clear and concise reasons for their application. The Chief Executive’s decision will be final and binding on all parties.

41. Players who wish to register for a club who are two or more age groups above the player’s actual age group require the permission of the Chief Executive. Application to the Chief Executive must be made in writing using the SYFA Dispensation Form by the club wishing to register the player giving clear and concise reasons for their application. The Chief Executive’s decision will be final and binding on all parties.

I was talking about more the team than an individual, but that tie's in with what I was told a few years ago. A boys club was hammering everybody at their own age group, but they were told that they couldn't move the team up, as roughly 75% of the squad had to be of that age group!!

I know that before they sign pro youth, that these 2 clubs usually play 2 years above themselves. I suppose they've got to do this to get a bit of a challenge for the players!!

A quick glance at the under 17 league table will show you how condescending that comment sounds. No offence

4 hours ago, ollie1903 said:

A quick glance at the under 17 league table will show you how condescending that comment sounds. No offence

I'm not saying I fully agree with what they do, but if you are going for the big physical boys at a young age then they are going to be too strong for their own age and sometimes the year above. This in turn means that the boys get caught up by the more talented smaller players in my opinion!!

Archived