Man arrested for turning dug into a nazi

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He wasn’t convicted of a hate crime, he was convicted of causing gross offence under the communications act. There was a good thread in Twitter by a human rights lawyer on this, @adamwagner1.

Under the law he was convicted of if you cause gross offence you can be prosecuted and convicted. What “gross offence” entails is left up to the police and prosecuting authorities. I don’t think it’s much of a leap to see how dangerous this could be. Some of the people posting on this thread have views that could reasonably seen as grossly offensive.

I also find it quite odd that given the sea of anti Semitic material in the Internet this is what is prosecuted - an idiot doing something stupid, obviously for a joke. This prosecution will do nothing to stop Jewish schools requiring armed security or 2-3 violent anti-Semitic assaults a week being recorded.

Should immaturity be criminalised?

No, but being an absolute fucking cretin with hate talk should.
As far as I know, as could not walk about your scheme shouting Calamity Kid is an AIDs ridden ******.

28 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Appearing on Alex Jones' show then cozying up to Tommy Robinson undermined the whole "bad taste joke" argument. 

Think the fact he's trying to make a career out of this whole event probably bothers quite a few folk. As you say, he's not exactly choosing good company to keep in the wake of it all. 

Having free speech fetishist's like Robinson, Jones or Paul Joseph Watson as your white knights is never a good look but the conviction is a joke. You only need to watch the video to see its dark humour and at worst very offensive. If you're offended by it then that's fine but the idea of wanting someone jailed for this seems dodgy to me.

Having free speech fetishist's like Robinson, Jones or Paul Joseph Watson as your white knights is never a good look but the conviction is a joke. You only need to watch the video to see its dark humour and at worst very offensive. If you're offended by it then that's fine but the idea of wanting someone jailed for this seems dodgy to me.

It’s the precedent that comes with a judge effectively saying you can make videos calling for the gassing of Jews under the guise of “comedy”. It’s clear that’s why PJW and Robinson and others are so interested in this because imagine if they could call for the extermination of Muslims or whatevs under the guise of it being a joke.

It’s the precedent that comes with a judge effectively saying you can make videos calling for the gassing of Jews under the guise of “comedy”. It’s clear that’s why PJW and Robinson and others are so interested in this because imagine if they could call for the extermination of Muslims or whatevs under the guise of it being a joke.

Aye its obvious why the current mob of online right wing personalities have a vested interest in this. I do however think that aspect shouldn't affect people's opinions of this one. It's obviously a case by case basis as to what is deemed offensive enough to be charged for but this goes to the round and round argument of "what is the line between humour and acceptable offensive content". One admittedly I don't have an answer for.

Aye its obvious why the current mob of online right wing personalities have a vested interest in this. I do however think that aspect shouldn't affect people's opinions of this one. It's obviously a case by case basis as to what is deemed offensive enough to be charged for but this goes to the round and round argument of "what is the line between humour and acceptable offensive content". One admittedly I don't have an answer for.

Forgive me if I’m wrong but isn’t our law based around precedent? I’m willing to believe that this case is really just about setting a firm stance that the far-right should be wary of breaching. What’s the likely sentence he’s going to get?

Forgive me if I’m wrong but isn’t our law based around precedent? I’m willing to believe that this case is really just about setting a firm stance that the far-right should be wary of breaching. What’s the likely sentence he’s going to get?

I'd be lying if I said I had anything other than an everyday person's grasp of the UK law system, ie feck all, so can't comment. Seems quite a strong precedent to set though and if the idea is to stop folks running around dropping "f**k Muslims yo! IT'S JUST A JOKE" patter then I'm doubtful it's going to succeed in that.

Imagine getting into one of life’s pickles that Tommy Robinson is on your side

Tommy Robinson hijacking something for his own twisted means doesn’t invalidate the argument.

Things like tackling terrorism, discussing immigration and other things can’t really be debated sensibly because the racist c***s on the far right hijack it.

Then people on the left put everyone on that side of the argument (including the non racists) in the same box as Tommy Robinson marked “bad people” and put their fingers in their ears.

Polarised politics in 2018.

Archived