• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Football ace in train horror" in big bold writing alongside his photo.. 

The Sun had it as their front page story as well. Its a bit insensitive having it as a front page story must be horrible for his family and friends to be in a shop and see those headlines on the newspaper racks.

The Sun had it as their front page story as well. Its a bit insensitive having it as a front page story must be horrible for his family and friends to be in a shop and see those headlines on the newspaper racks.

Rather insensitive if you ask me.

Rather insensitive if you ask me.

Aye you get my drift Rusty, it was more that just a bit insensitive putting it on the front page there could have been a more dignified way of reporting the lads death instead of what they done but that's tabloid newspapers for you sadly.

Ah shit. I was on that train, heading to Glasgow for the Motherwell match. A couple of staff members seemed to think it might have been accidental as it took place on a pedestrian crossing, but that didn't really make sense to me at the time. Very sad news. Thoughts are with his family.

Wouldn't be like the sun. There was absolutely no need to report Christopher's sad death that way.

As I've posted on other threads. There is nothing to be gained speculating on Christopher's sad passing.

Agree 100%, what are these papers gaining from printing the details, the majority of people know what happened.

Its the same with the young girl from dumfries, friends and family are going through enough without the story being publicised nationally.

Will remember mitch for a couple of great seasons at Queens.

X

Aye you get my drift Rusty, it was more that just a bit insensitive putting it on the front page there could have been a more dignified way of reporting the lads death instead of what they done but that's tabloid newspapers for you sadly.

There should have been more dignity .

So sad to hear about Chris, must be dreadful for his family, friends and all connected with football that knew him. It again brings to the fore the sadness mental illness can bring and all its extremities. Lots of genuine heartfelt tributes to a lad who passed too soon

I know the press sell papers based on shocking stories most of the time but sometimes little coverage is enough... Sad sad times, puts events like this Tuesday and Friday into perspective.

RIP Chris Mitchell

Only spoke to him once. I had exactly the same back injury as him and had a quick chat about the slow recovery process one day in the main stand at Palmerston.

Very pleasant guy. Such sad news.

Very sad if suicide was indeed the cause of death. Unfortunately Scotland despite a lot of attention continues to have a very high suicide rate and the 20-30 age group of males is the biggest risk area. This puts footballers very high in the risk group. They are often only one tackle away from their livelihood being taken from them. A bad few games and a roasting in the media adds more pressure. For more info follow link.

www.chooselife.net/evidence/statisticssuicideinscotland.asp"]http://www.chooselife.net/evidence/statisticssuicideinscotland.asp[/url]x

Would be a touch of class if we retired the number 2 jersey, or asked for permission to all wear Mitchell 2 in our first game of next season even if it's just a pre season game.

Nice idea, if Falkirk stay down, it would be nice to see both teams wearing Mitchell on their backs the first time the sides play each other next year. 

I was thinking about this lad a lot today. Brought back a lot of thoughts & memories of a school friend of mine who passed away a few years ago too & for a large part of the day I was very down. Finding it difficult to sleep just now, but have had an idea & wanted to share for opinions etc, trying to think positively from such tragic circumstances.

Although not confirmed, it's been speculated Chris Mitchell suffered from depression (mental health issues) & has committed suicide. I was looking at the teams he's represented & 3 of the 4 Scottish clubs are still in play off action, as are Bradford City down south. My idea was, would it be suitable for there to be some sort of fundraising opportunity in memory of the lad? Like donating to a mental health charity or something? Thinking about my own club, Ayr United, we've the game on Sunday & I'm thinking we could have collection buckets at the turnstiles or whatever. This could be repeated at the Falkirk Stadium & at Broadwood too, with a Just Giving site opened for other teams' supporters to donate too. Obviously there would need to be an agreed charity to donate to etc, but it could be done. What's everyone's thoughts?

I was thinking about this lad a lot today. Brought back a lot of thoughts & memories of a school friend of mine who passed away a few years ago too & for a large part of the day I was very down. Finding it difficult to sleep just now, but have had an idea & wanted to share for opinions etc, trying to think positively from such tragic circumstances.

Although not confirmed, it's been speculated Chris Mitchell suffered from depression (mental health issues) & has committed suicide. I was looking at the teams he's represented & 3 of the 4 Scottish clubs are still in play off action, as are Bradford City down south. My idea was, would it be suitable for there to be some sort of fundraising opportunity in memory of the lad? Like donating to a mental health charity or something? Thinking about my own club, Ayr United, we've the game on Sunday & I'm thinking we could have collection buckets at the turnstiles or whatever. This could be repeated at the Falkirk Stadium & at Broadwood too, with a Just Giving site opened for other teams' supporters to donate too. Obviously there would need to be an agreed charity to donate to etc, but it could be done. What's everyone's thoughts?

Sounds like a fantastic idea to me, I think Mind would probably be the most appropriate charity.

Great idea and maybe an annual tournament between 4 of the clubs with all the gate money going to a charity.

Sounds like a fantastic idea to me, I think Mind would probably be the most appropriate charity.

Pretty sure Mind don't operate in Scotland but SAMH and others do.

Archived