The 3rd Chapter. (Accies 2016/2017 Thread)

What a difference this change in formation has made. So impressed with us in all of the games we've played with it, other than maybe Motherwell.

We couldn't have hit form at a better time. Canning has been slaughtered and rightly so at times but he's got the team fighting again and deserves some credit for that.

Not really any way to say this without sounding disrespectful but I'll try...

In most seasons Accies have tended to flirt around the relegation places for most of the campaign but you guys always seem to fight, bite and crawl yourselves away from danger and survive. It looks increasingly likely you will do so again this season whereas a team like ICT, who have tended to be well clear of danger in the last couple of seasons, have dropped like a stone and show even less fight than Sweeper Dee protecting his old man from a kicking.

Is it fair to say that despite any apparent "limitations" that may be evident within the Accies squad you guys, with your previous experiences against battling relegation, are really well placed to stay up compared to a side like ICT because your players know how hard they need to work to drag themselves out of danger?

1) We aren't anywhere near staying up yet, and one bad weekend can f**k it all up again.
2) Apparently John Rankin was on the radio lately saying that everyone hates playing against Accies. This is because apparently it's like playing against a Glasgow gang; not because they play dirty or anything, but it's because there is an incredible amount of togetherness in the team. Everyone has each other's back, always cover for each other and all that.
There is certainly that survival instinct in our team. Five of the starting line-up have been at the club for years and have a close bond, and then 2 of the subs have also been there for a while, albeit it in 2 spells for Redmond. Canning has also been there for almost 10 years which can help.

2 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I think that's fair and I agree with a lot of what you say.

We also have guys like MacKinnon and Imrie who would run through brick walls for the team. The type of player opposition fans hate, but you need players like that in a relegation scrap.

I think it's also fair to say that no one really wants us in the Premiership, from fans, to the media to the chairmen of the other teams. I'm sure that's also used as 'fuel' to try and prove people wrong and GIRU them. I know as a fan it's extremely satisfying.

In saying that, we are nowhere near safe and I expect loads more twists and turns.

I thought players like Tremarco, Draper, Warren would have a similar effect for us but we've looked utterly spineless in games for weeks now. No one in this ICT side is trying to lift the others once we concede a goal. Players like MacKinnon and Imrie might well be hated by opposition fans but, as you say, they are exactly the kind of player you need in a side battling to avoid the drop. Sadly, our equivalents are not stepping up and a lot of the team are only here short term anyway so don't really give a toss.

Appreciate you're not safe yet but despite any end of season nerves it looks like it'll be Dundee in the playoffs with us dropping into the Championship. Good luck to you lads save for when you're playing us obviously.

21 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Up until a few weeks ago, Imrie was our worst performing player. Looked completely finished. Still had his 100 percent work rate, but nothing was coming off for him. He's turned it around now though and we'll need him at his usual annoying tenacious self if we're to stay up. MacKinnon has probably been our player of the season.

Do you think they have stopped playing due to Foran? I'm only going by what I hear in post match interviews, but he doesn't half contradict himself most of the time. Not sure if constantly criticising his players in public is the way to go either.

Cheers. Looking tough for you guys but you never know. Good luck for the rest of the season.

Yeah I think it's starting to look that way especially after the last couple of games. His team selections and formations have been bizarre and his post match comments are baffling. Praising them one week then slagging them rotten the next. It can't have a good effect on the players. His honesty is admirable up to a point. I think he goes a bit too far with his comments on the whole. After you lot pumped us 3 - 0 in January he slated the players but seemed to spare himself from any criticism after deciding to play the flatest 4-4-2 formation in history and a setup we hadn't played in years AFAIK. Still, that was all down to the players...

On 13/04/2017 at 13:46, Uncle Arthur said:

Devlin's been excellent for most of the season and should be our mainstay in central defence alongside the more erratic, but capable Sarris. Jesus would have been great back-up for these two, with his strength, vision and passing ability (even towing his caravan). Not sure what stage of recovery he is at though.  Seabourne was also handy in case of emergency, but not given many chances during his short stay. Watson and McMann are both natural full backs, and should be played as such in a back four. Watson is more technical and also better in the air than McMann and communicates much better, which makes Watson a good stand-by for central defence. McMann though is excellent at getting forward and carrying the ball into the oppositions half, if the ball is played in front of him, at his best when keeping it simple. Skondras is a decent, if limited full back, but will always play before Watson because of the pay structure at Accies, As far as Adams goes, I'd imagine that he was a panic buy, I really fail to see any good points in his play. Hopefully he improves though, he can't play so poorly giving the ball away all the time. Donati is a good all rounder for defence or midfield as long as he isn't overused, sometimes looks tired in games. I'm sure there'll be major changes in personnel should Accies go down! 

I would rather have Jim Watson playing than Craig Watson;the guy is a bombscare and out of his depth at this level.

Aye definite hoax, or a terrible attempt to try and start trouble.
Can't see Airdrie signing a player of unknown fitness with just three games left, they're not us.

You obviously don't know enough about Airdrie if you don't think this could be true.

We are a complete and utter shambles.

We've been crying out for a competent defender since July so signing another attacking player is exactly something we would do.

whats the scoop with Devlin's contract?

He has one year to run? Does he have a release clause?

A lot of rumours up here that he is coming to the Dons in the summer but something doesn't add up as Dons unlikely to pay anything more than a small fee, say £100k-£150k

whats the scoop with Devlin's contract?
He has one year to run? Does he have a release clause?
A lot of rumours up here that he is coming to the Dons in the summer but something doesn't add up as Dons unlikely to pay anything more than a small fee, say £100k-£150k

£100-£150k is probably more than he's worth. I doubt he'll want an extension if the current buzz around him continues, but it'll be interesting to see whether there's any serious interest or is just buzz.
Where have these rumours about Devlin to Aberdeen come from anyway? Just because he had an exceptional game against them once?

1) We aren't anywhere near staying up yet, and one bad weekend can f**k it all up again.
2) Apparently John Rankin was on the radio lately saying that everyone hates playing against Accies. This is because apparently it's like playing against a Glasgow gang; not because they play dirty or anything, but it's because there is an incredible amount of togetherness in the team. Everyone has each other's back, always cover for each other and all that.
There is certainly that survival instinct in our team. Five of the starting line-up have been at the club for years and have a close bond, and then 2 of the subs have also been there for a while, albeit it in 2 spells for Redmond. Canning has also been there for almost 10 years which can help.

I hate away games against Hamilton for a combination of reasons. My worst footballing memory there, the fact that the pitch means MacLean is a non option etc. I hope you stay up though!