The Partick Thistle thread

It’s a running joke as we famously used to have a strict wage cap at £500 per week during the John Lambie days. Some of our fans genuinely believe it’s still in place today. Any talk of budgets in the Premiership forum and a select few Thistle fans would always shriek about how we only pay £500.

Hilarious, I’m sure you’ll agree.

To be fair to DU. They’re about to recieve ~700k from the Armstrong deal so they have money to burn. Do they have anymore sell-ons they lucked out on or is Armstrong their last windfall?

Archie loves a target man that can’t score so I’m guessing he might try to loan someone like Haber..

5 minutes ago, cilitbang said:

To be fair to DU. They’re about to recieve ~700k from the Armstrong deal so they have money to burn. Do they have anymore sell-ons they lucked out on or is Armstrong their last windfall?

Archie loves a target man that can’t score so I’m guessing he might try to loan someone like Haber..

You could do a lot worse. He's excellent in that role, just don't expect him to put in a great deal of effort.

21 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

You could do a lot worse. He's excellent in that role, just don't expect him to put in a great deal of effort.

Pretty difficult to put in less effort than Pogba tbh. 

ETA. Unlikely due to lack of melanin tbh

Edited by cilitbang

Would like to see us go for someone like Michael Johnstone on loan from Celtic - played very well for scotland U21's in the recent toulon tournament.

He has recently signed a 3 year contract for celtic, but at only 18 he is likely to be loaned out somewhere, why not us...?

2 hours ago, South Lanarkshire Jag said:

That is, with respect, utter shite.

Granted, not every signing has been a revelation but show me a manager at our level who has had a signing ratio of 80% hits and 20% misses? 

The problem you have with good players in the lower leagues in Scotland is that everybody is aware of them and that drives the price up when they move. There is a certain striker who plays for a Premiership team who earns more than any individual has for Partick Thistle in the last five years. What did this striker do before arriving at the Premiership club? He hit a barrelload in Scottish League One and the timing just fell perfectly for the move. 

With the exception of Dundee United and Ross County, who both offered Freddie Frans wages that we could only dream of, we're competing against everyone else in the division for the same group of players. 

If your talking about signings from English lower leagues then I would argue that he has not had an 80% success rate

osman and Edwards yes

buaben and Taylor were excellent (but you could argue they would have been well known for what he did at Scottish teams like Dundee United, Falkirk etc

amoo was okay

dumbaya and seaborne were perma crocks and cannot be said to be successes in my book in fact giving how much they actually played 

but I cannot agree that guys like Richards Everton,  keown,  mukendi, carroll, German, Cargil, turnbull, Banton, moncur, eccleston,  pogba And azeez were in any way successful at all and possibly not very cheap either 

Edited by third lanark

1 hour ago, Rednyella said:

I would think they are on somewhere between 2-3k a week. If we can off load them all that frees up potentially 8-10k a week which would go a mile in the championship.

To give Frans 7k a week is the reason why United have debt issues. That’s sevco style crazy to pay a player that in tier 2 of Scotland.

There is no way we could offer that finishing top 6 in Premiership.

200.gif

59 minutes ago, Jag0001 said:

Oh I see now so dose anyone know what kind of wages ( I know it’s in pounds before someone makes the joke) we can offer?

Not anyone that’s likely to divulge such information, tbh. 

15 minutes ago, Thistle4eva said:

And surely we weren’t stupid enough to pay 2-3 grand a week and not have a relegation clause in these guys contracts. 

We did that.

Paying Tam Scobbie and Burton O'Brien top dollar to fail in the 1st division and finish behind Raith :(

I'd be surprised if many clubs have the sense to stick a relegation clause in there as it may put off your targets.

No chance Frans is getting anything near 7 grand a week. And surely we weren’t stupid enough to pay 2-3 grand a week and not have a relegation clause in these guys contracts. 

100k a year in wages and stipend for a flat/car for your top 3-4-5 players seems about right.

I am absolutely sure there is no way we’re paying 500 a week to our top players. That’s approx 24k a year.
Have you seen the motors some of these lads drive? They have families to provide for ffs. If I was Erskine I’d be pipe fitting again if I was on that wage.

I would think young lads like Penrice and MacCarthy would be on roughly that. But Doolan, Erskine and those on transfer list at moment are ranged between 60-100k a year total including expenses like flat/car. The top 10 players from the team at very most. The squad players are 24-60k. So 500-2k a week.

Many of you can laugh but let’s try to be realistic for the 21st Century. Mortgages need to be paid.

If Frans is on 10k a week in championship which I seriously doubt that’s nearly 500k a year. Not a chance! I don’t care if they made millions from Armstrong. That’s a dreadful decision. And I like Freddy. The boys not on the verge of the Belgian national side.

County and ICT due to their geography tend to pay 10-20% more to entice the players up north. Living around Ross-shire is lovely but mid-Feb when cabin fever is at peak they need to pay out the cash.

I’d like someone to prove me wrong? Happy to debate and be shown so. When you look at the numbers on the annual world wages listing, which we are near the bottom for Soccer and Celtic are paying 10-30k a week which is 10-15x us. The above makes sense.